Apr 4, 2009 at 10:19 am #1235301
Okay – I think this trip would work. Still working on dates, but I'm thinking mid to late July to mid August.
Taylor, this trip should have good fishing from day 1. Long Lake early on is known for big Browns & Rainbows – not as much for numbers & it does get pressure, so they aren't always willing to bite easily. Beyond that, though, the other lakes before Bishop Pass have very willing brook trout among other species. At one inlet, I caught a brookie, a rainbow & a brown on 3 consecutive casts.
Over Bishop Pass in Dusy Basin is the chance for goldens & rainbow-golden hybrids, possibly large fish.
From there it's new territory for me, but the streams & meadows promise excellent fishing & breathtaking scenery, framed by striking peaks. It's one of the most beautiful stretches of the JMT – Big Pete Meadow & Evolution Valley further North. A couple lakes, too – not sure how they fish.
Then Darwin Bench & Lakes, with golden trout & the chance for some big fish if timing & luck are with us.Apr 5, 2009 at 3:33 pm #1491495
Cary, I have been dreaming doing this route for years. If you would be so kind as to let me crash your party, I would be quite greatful! However if the dates are the last week of July then I would not be able to attend due to Work commitments. However, DO NOT schedule this around my schedule, this is your trip. But any date that would include the 2nd-3rd week in July or the first two weeks of August I'd love to attend. I could even provide transportation too.Apr 5, 2009 at 8:22 pm #1491550
i'd be a fool to turn down a ride :)
your good dates are pretty close to what i was thinking of
i'll look at work schedules & try to get it going pretty quick
maybe 4-5 people i think at most, given the paucity of good camp spots on darwin bench & lakes
so me, ken – taylor you coming? jay? who else is interested?Apr 5, 2009 at 8:37 pm #1491557
Scott SmithBPL Member
@mrmuddyLocale: No Cal
Hey guys ..
On the heels of that last post .
Just an FYI .. There are 5 of us . taking this exact route . heading up Bishop Pass on Sunday Aug 9th ..
Again .. just an FYI ..Apr 5, 2009 at 9:32 pm #1491574
hurry to darwin bench & entrench ourselves to hold seige
i'm thinking july will probably work – looks like not a super high snow year & i'm anxious to get up there
i don't think 2 of my jobs are usually very booked up for july, eitherApr 6, 2009 at 8:20 am #1491621
Cary, thank you for your graciousness. Pick a date and I am there. The sooner the better for me due to filling out a vacation request form for work. No big deal on that one, but earlier the better. July 8th could be real nice up there. I'd suspect that there would still be snow on the passes, so ice axes would be in order, and possibly crampons? July 8th would be cool. How many days do you think. One to car camp, Darwine Bench, Evolution Valley, Dusy Basin, and then out?Apr 6, 2009 at 8:37 am #1491626
so first day be bishop pass – maybe camping dusy basin (but i want to fish a couple lakes on the way in)
2nd day maybe muir pass, so camping one of the lakes after: wanda, 11293, sapphire or thereabouts
then the bench
playing w/ idea of a layover day to explore & fish more – i'd like the option of going slower if exploring & fishing is goodApr 6, 2009 at 8:42 am #1491628
Either way would be cool. Maybe a layover in Dusy???Apr 6, 2009 at 8:44 am #1491630
would allow a knapsack pass attempt to barrett lakes if we are feeling particularly friskyApr 6, 2009 at 10:34 am #1491667
EXACTLY! I was thinking the same thing. I have always wanted to cross that pass into that basin!!!!Apr 6, 2009 at 11:34 am #1491689
(11th is sat, 19th is the following week sunday)
seems like instead of camping somewhere en-route, we could drive to bishop & then go in to one of the earlier lakes (before bishop pass) – only means one more dinner & breakfast to carry (i suggest trout)
if this sounds good, i'll try for reservations asap – i'll put 3 choices for entry date "11th, 12th, 13th"Apr 6, 2009 at 11:46 am #1491692
Perfect!Apr 6, 2009 at 12:31 pm #1491710
put 7/11, 7/12, 7/13 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd choice start dates
called first & they have a few slots left right now each day (i think it was 8,6,16 slots in order)
reserved for 5 people
Let me know as soon as you can if you are interested.Apr 6, 2009 at 12:43 pm #1491716
Cary did you get an exact day or will they let you know on any of those 3 different days. If there is a concrete day to start, I will fill out the paperwork (just a formality) for the time off. Stoked!Apr 6, 2009 at 12:45 pm #1491717
i'm guessing we'll get the 11th though, unless the fax that bumped me when i tried to send in mine was for a group going in on the same day on bishop pass trail ;)Apr 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm #1491782
Robert BleanBPL Member
@bleanLocale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
Looks like most of the trip is at about 11,000' to 12,000'. What sort of conditions are you expecting? Much snow still left? Mosquitoes? Etc?
— MVApr 6, 2009 at 4:12 pm #1491785
I expect hordes of mosquitos – that is one of the downsides to July.
I expect good chance of thunder & lightning and afternoon storms with potentially heavy rains & wind – we will be within sight of thunderbolt peak part of the trip afterall. years ago, my dad found 2 hikers dead in their tent on dusy basin side of bishop pass – they'd been fried by lightning.
I expect the fish to be on the bite – that is one of the best parts about going in July.
And I expect incredibly beautiful high sierra landscapes – a nice mixture of lush meadows, opal lakes & stark granite.Apr 6, 2009 at 4:28 pm #1491788
Being on the Sierra Crest, that is the chance you take with lightening. I have been in some interesting moments with T-Storms. Mosquitos will be a problem, but not at 10,000+ my thoughts anhyways. Bob sounds like you are interested in attending?????Apr 6, 2009 at 4:49 pm #1491794
blood thirsty savages will stop at nothing
i think often up higher there is more wind & they don't do well in wind ;)Apr 6, 2009 at 5:03 pm #1491798
Robert BleanBPL Member
@bleanLocale: San Jose -- too far from Sierras
"Bob sounds like you are interested in attending?"
I am considering the matter. As you may know, I recently discovered that I have a problem with hips and knees. Especially since I really do not yet know my limitations, if any, I want to ensure that going on this trip would be the right thing to do.
–MVApr 6, 2009 at 6:35 pm #1491832
how were you after the henry coe trip?
i'm still recovering some – kinda limped through this last week a bit
*i think total elevation gain/loss will be a lot more, but there are switchbacks for most of the climbs – the col will be the only really hard part in that respect, maybe up to the bench a bit, too
*air & water should be better in sierras
*altitude will be a negative recovery factor
*there will be mosquitos BUT NO TICKS!
*fishing & scenery will be betterApr 23, 2009 at 6:09 pm #1496605
So far no definite "yes" responses & several "no" responses now for the date selected.
Even though I already paid for a permit for 5, I'm thinking of changing this to another (later) date – perhaps late July or early to mid August…Apr 30, 2009 at 2:39 pm #1498108
as I told Cary last night, I am in the mix again. Got the time off and I ready for a great trip.May 2, 2009 at 3:20 pm #1498570
David W.BPL Member
@davidpcvsamoaLocale: East Bay, CA
Cary and Ken,
I am interested in joining you if there is room for one more. Although not necessary, I would also be interested in joining your car pool if possible.
DavidMay 2, 2009 at 3:26 pm #1498571
David, not sure what Cary has in terms of folks going, but if you were to come, I could pick you up along the way. PM Cary to find out. Let me know.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.