Topic

Best flashlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best flashlight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

>BTW, what IS the lightest regulated headlamp? PT Quad?

Perhaps one of the Zebralights. My H501 is 59g (2.1oz) including one lithium AA. But it's only good for task lighting, the beam is floody with no throw.

Lightest is getting a regulated AAA torch (less than 1oz) and clipping it to your cap.

>here in NZ usually start with 2-4hrs tramping on Friday night and so far after going through 24 different headlamps, the new 50 lumen model of the Princeton Tec EOS is IMHO pretty near perfect.

4 hours on Friday night, good effort ! I usually don't get much further than the car. Yeah if I had to have one light, the new EOS would probably be it.

But this winter for night walking I've gone for a combination of two lights – a Fenix LD10 (AA) and a Zebralight H501 (AA). I prefer a handheld with lots of throw for hiking (offset from head for shadows), while keeping the Zebralight on low lets me see my while I'm needing to use my hands, and I can look down and see my feet and the ground while I'm walking. Plus it's a great camp head lamp, nice smooth floody beam gives you a very natural light.

Combined weight is 127g, including 2 lithium AA's, so it's a bit of a luxury. But a single light means compromising in one way or the other, plus.. don't drop it!

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Adrian, what happened to your liteflux LF2?

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

>I have been looking at the Fenix site all night and torn between the LD10 and LD01 AAA vs AA . I do like the Idea of the diffuser but don't know if it will work with the LD01 model.

If you plan to be using it more than just occasionally, I would suggest LD10: clicky switch is easier to use, AA battery lasts longer. Also if you ever carry a GPS it will most likely be AA powered, which means you can share batteries.

Of course, the folks over on candlerpowerforums would just say, get both (or maybe two of both).

>This special edition looks neat I don't know the price tho.

You don't want it, the stainless steel is a lot heavier than the aluminum

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

>Adrian, what happened to your liteflux LF2?

It's still here on my desk :) When the days get longer again I'll switch back to it to save some weight.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Actually, the LF2 *would* do fine, just that it is somewhat of a compromise: it's twisty rather than clicky, which isn't as quick to adjust as the LD10. And clipped to a cap brim, it isn't as convenient as a true headlamp like the Zebralight (eg hard to turn on/off/adjust, lanyard gets in the way), and you have to muck about with diffusers to get the same excellent flood as the Zebralight. Plus, once you start having to carry extra batteries because of the extra hours of light you need, the extra weight of two aluminium AA bodies is less significant. Finally I like the redundancy, for times when a light failing/getting lost would be very unpleasant. eg I had to abandon a slighty 'experimental' campsite when a storm rolled in in the middle of the night.

…all that to justify +100g to myself ;)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I would add a vote for the PrincetonTec EOSR. The updated EOS addressed the two flaws (to narrow a beam for around camp, and the low was too bright) of the original EOS. The EOSR providing a great beam with decent regulated runtimes. I also have liked the Fenix L1D and used it for the last two years. The EOSR has been my goto light since I got one for my birthday. Few more ideas on my recommended flashlights page.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have to go with the Photon II. It is the same weight as that spare AAA battery you folks are carrying. On a long trip I might carry a spare Photon II. I like these things so much, I gave away about a dozen of them last year as Christmas presents.

Normally I do not like to hike at night. The exception is in the desert and hopefully planned when there is a full moon.

I don't need a light often, because I am sleeping when it is dark. The exception of course is in the winter. I probably do more winter hiking than most folks, because I live in the desert, and great hikes are less than an hour from my house. In the winter I take a Photon II and a Petzl e+ lite. I use the Petzl to read at night, and sometimes cook dinner. I take something to read in the winter, because it gets dark at 5pm. In the summer, no book.

Dave T

@davet

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Ditto.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

"A single AAA light just isn't quite enough when it's dark 14+ hours a day…"

Depends on how you look at it. The EOS lasts approx 3x longer than the LD01, but it also has 3x the batteries (these are vague estimates). So in terms of efficiency it's really a question of whether you want to store the batteries inside the light or outside, and how often you like to swap out batteries in the dark.

For a multi-hour hike in the dark, I agree the EOS is the way to go. But I have found that, for most of my 3-season trips I am in camp before nightfall, and so I felt I wasn't getting enough use out of the EOS. I'd use it for a few minutes here and there. Problem is I'd end up starting a hike with half of the battery left, and so I'd need to bring 3 extra as backup. Or, if I've got a longer trip, I'd swap out the half empty with fresh ones, and then come back with two half-empty sets and have to remember to keep them organized while in storage.

What I'm getting at is that the EOS forces you into 'quantum storage,' where you are working with 3 sets of batteries at a time.

The beauty of the LD01 is it's versatility. Since it only uses 1 battery at a time, I just start a trip with whatever juice is left in the current AAA cell. When I'm done with the trip, I only have 1 battery that is not at full capacity, and that is the battery in the flashlight. This has really simplified my storage and planning of battery use.

It also means that for a shorter trip, or when the nights are short, I can bring just the LD01 and two batteries. For the EOS, assuming you always bring a backup set of batteries, especially if you start with partially used batteries, this means bringing the EOS and 6 batteries. With Li batteries, that's a difference in weight of 3 oz!

The downside of course is that you have to replace the battery 3 times as often.

Also keep in mind, though, that the LD01 can put out a full 30 lumens MORE than even the new EOSR. That's a substantial difference, and when I tested my old EOS and my LD01, the LD01 was substantially brighter.

I will admit, though, that carrying a AA GPS is a good reason to get the LD10. That's why I'm so disappointed there are no high-sensitivity AAA GPSs out there!

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

people keep saying EOSR I only see the EOS and EOS II is the EOSR the same as the EOS II ?EOS II

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Like John, I dislike having to deal with 3 batteries in a lamp.

One option I'm thinking of getting is the new Zebralight H-501-W which takes a single AA battery. I love things that use a single AA. Plenty of battery life, and a single AA only weighs 16g (0.6oz).

Here are the runtime specs…

Light Output: Constant ratio output level spread. Current regulated.

* 80 Lumens (2.3 hr) on High
    * 15 Lumens (19 hr) on Medium
    * 2.7 Lumens (3.5 days) on Low

Light output and runtimes are measured using a Sanyo 2700 mAh NiMH battery.

Weighs 21g without battery, about 40g with battery. Pricier than most though at $59.

The other nice thing about this light is that it uses a CREE bulb with a warm tint… so you're not getting the 'cold' light you get with many LEDs. There's a non-warm version too though if you prefer it.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

I keep meaning to get around to posting my review – it's a great light, but the 80 degree flood with no hot spot (no throw) means it's not good for night hiking.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I cracked the lens on my PT Quad. I dunno how B/C those are tough lenses. Super Glue seems to have fixed it W/O changing the beam characteristics.

Anyhow I ordered a PT EOS Tactical (has a sliding red lens cover) for preserving my night vision when necessary – as in waking up at O'dark thirty in the morning to see what's making that noise outside my tent.

Doubtful I'll take the EOS on tough trips due to its weight, even with lithium bateries. Tough trips means my little coin cell headlamp goes along.

Eric

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Hi Adrian,

How far does the light spill forward on medium? I imagine that even though you wouldn't be able to spot blazes on trees ahead of you, it would light up the area in front of you pretty well?

I don't really do night-hiking so I just want something for around camp and emergency use. Because there are usually two of us, something that has a reasonably wide spill and puts out plenty of light when necessary is what I'm looking for. Don't need to see more than about 3m of 'throw'.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

The Zebralight works good when you put it around your waist.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Hi Ashley – yes I think it would give you 3m, I think more on high output. And it does give you a nice wide spill which is easy on the eyes.

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Cool, thanks Adrian.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

I have the regular Zebralight H501 http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186&zenid=1ik4ekdq6iq2ahukfclkpjlj91 It is the best backpacking light I have ever had (I’ve used Fenix, PT, BD, Surefire).
    Some of my random thoughts:
    I bought from their site and it took 4 weeks to come in.
    I did a runtime test w/ a 2500mA AA rechargeable on Medium. My meter batteries went out at 15 hours. So maybe their claim of 19 hours is accurate. However, my graph for that 15 hours showed rock solid flat light intensity as the battery went down. That’s a nice voltage stepper circuit.
    The beam is stunning for camp. There are no hotspots. Medium: lights up a whole picnic table; enough for 8 people to play cards. One time I turned my headlamp on and one of my buddies looked up and said “I didn’t know there was a street light out here!”. While he was looking for this streetlight, I pointed out that the ‘light’ was coming from my head.
    The light easily turns on with the press of a button. I was worried it would come on in my pack. But it never did. Maybe it was the way I packed it. The light comes with a glow-in-the-dark holder. It glows for about 8.5 hours. It would make it easy to find your light in the dark tent. However, I don’t use it because the light turned too loosely in it. I use the black holder; it does a very good job holding the light where you point it. Also it has a belt clip. I haven’t tried it yet.
    On low, I can still read a book. I never did use it on high backpacking. Medium was perfect for around camp. I cannot feel it on my head. I have not backpacked in the dark with this (yet) but if I did, I would use it on high. It is very easy to change the single AA cell. I cannot feel it on my head. I would give this light a 5 star.
    But being a flashaholic, I will admit, I also take my fenix L1D. I love spotting things far away in the dark. The H501 won’t do that. I didn’t know Mr. New Zealand does the same style as me! It’s a small world.

I also sometimes use my AAA Fenix lights. But that Zebra H501 has such good runtimes that I find myself using it the most now.

-Barry

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

I have the Fenix LD01 and have missed a clicky button, but it is fantastically bright when I need it to be and very light weight…just difficult to operate one handed w/ gloves.

One of the major disappointments with a lot of these smaller lights + headlamps is that the battery is outside and therefore suffers under colder conditions. Of course lithium cells work better, but they still degrade at lower temps. I have been trying to find a remote system that is still lightweight but has the possibility of inner jacket battery storage (1xaaa or 1xaa ideally) and have begun a modification of this light:

Coast LED Lenser LL7451 Micro Headlamp"

coast micro

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> battery is outside and therefore suffers under colder conditions

In cold weather I just wear the headlight inside my hood/cap. That keeps the battery warm.

Cheers

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

>The light easily turns on with the press of a button. I was worried it would come on in my pack. But it never did. Maybe it was the way I packed it.

It can turn on accidentally fairly easily, but when packing you can lock it out with a half-turn unscrew of the battery cover. The thread is very shallow angle so it doesn't make it loose – another good design feature!

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

>In cold weather I just wear the headlight inside my hood/cap. That keeps the battery warm.

Good call, Roger. I've done the same, as well, but have noticed that under windy + cold conditions, the ones with the battery in front often still get too cold. Additionally, much of the time I need a lamp, I'm wearing a helmet and am therefore unable to use this technique.

My favorite UL headlamp is this (although it can be a bit unreliable on cloudy nights):

Luc Viatour Moon

Photo by Luc Viatour (www.lucnix.be)

Gordon Smith
    BPL Member

@swearingen

Locale: Portland, Oregon

I just stumbled across this older thread. I was surprised no one mentioned the excellent Black Diamond Ion headlamp.

The first thing I read on this site years ago was Ryan Jordan's great essay on breaking the five-pound barrier.

The 1.1 oz BD Ion was on Ryan's gear list in that article and it turned out to be the very first piece of UL kit I ever bought, replacing my AA maglite I'd been using for ages, ha ha. I love that little Ion light, I'm on my second one now. Old one still works perfectly but the newer model is even nicer.

G

Gerald Weigl

@overton

Locale: 3rd rock from the sun

As a dedicated flashlight freak (and a less proficient hiker), I have to add my two grains to this discussion. Now that the LiteFlux LF2XT is available, there is no reason to stay away from AAA lights even in the darker months. It works with regular as well as lithium batteries but also 10440 Li-Ion ones and is fully programmable. There is even a Titanium version with Sapphire Window and button w/tritium inlay.

Features and Specs:
    • LED : CREE XP-E Q4 Neutral White LED
    • Made of aircraft grade aluminum; Weight: 21.1 gramm (Nat), 21.3g (black) with pocket clip installed (-0.5g if keychain ring clip installed)
    Length x Width: 81.2mm x 14.9mm (bezel widest portion)
    • Type III hard anodized finish, Black or Natural color
    • Battery: Alkaline(1.5V), NIMH(1.2V), NICD(1.2), Lithium(1.7V) & rechargeable Li-Ion 10440(4.2V)
    • Input Volatge: 0.9V ~ 4.5V
    • Orange Peel (OP) aluminium reflector
    • AR coated glass lens
    • Switch type: Tail press button for on/off and programming
    • Uses PWM at high frequency. No flickering at low power.
    • 4 types of output: Constant On, Strobe, Beacon, SOS.
    • LF2XT has 2 User Interfaces. Compact User Interface (CUI), and Full-function User Interface (FUI).
    • Can be programmed to any combination, any brightness of the 4 output types in any order
    • Can set the number of modes between 1 ~ 5.
    • Stainless steel tail cap and pocket clip
    • Stable tail stand
    • Water resistant

video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBNLIhAlr9I

I got mine from here:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=197811

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools