Topic

Best flashlight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Best flashlight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest

So what do you guys use for lights? I read alot about the photo lights, keychain lights, single cell lights does anybody use headlamps anymore? I was looking at the princeton tec pilot(15G) it can be used as a headlamp or hand light but also looked at the fuel. 78G
    http://www.princetontec.com/?q=node/70

I have learned my lesson over the years after taking mag lites out in the woods that you don't need much light to see what you are doing. ;-)pilotFuel

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

Check out the Petzl e-lite. It's small, bright and lightweight. I've had one for almost a year now and love it.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Like Don, I bought an eLite. I feel like it works very well as part of a UL kit. I even bought one for my girlfriend after trying it out.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Ok, another vote for the e-Lite. I keep a Photon Freedom light as a backup/zipper pull on my jacket. People also love the Fenix lights for their brightness, but they are definitely heavier. If you do a lot of night hiking then get a headlamp, but for me it's mostly camp chores after dark or reading and the e-Light is plenty bright.

-Mark

J B
    BPL Member

@johannb

Locale: Europe

Fenix L0D and Lummi Raw Al

I have a Zebra Light and a Fenix L0D and a Lummi Raw AL, plus a Freedom Microlight II Red as backup.

I have use the Zebra Light several times, works well but it's a flood light. The Fenix and the Lummi are more beam than flood.

Charles Grier
    BPL Member

@rincon

Locale: Desert Southwest

Another vote for the Petzel e-light and the Photon as an almost weightless backup.

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

One *negative* vote for the Petzl eLite.. I'm suprised this light always gets mentioned (I have one).
    – it's not very bright at all, esp compared to new Cree LED based lights
    – it's runtime is very short (runs on a couple of button batteries, what do you expect)
    – it's unregulated, so it's discharge curve looks like K2. ie it's brightness starts noticeably dropping very very quickly.
    – clumsy switch

Good lightweight handhelds are AAA based lights like the already mentioned Fenix L0D, I have the Liteflux LF2 which is a similar light but with programmable settings (and a fiddlier interface to go with it). Other good simple single-level AAA lights are the Arc AAA and the Fenix E01. With a single lithium AAA, all of these are of similar weight to the Petzl eLite, but *way* overpower it in brightness + runtime, and, unlike the eLite, all are regulated (so constant brightness).

Sadly there aren't many ultralight headlamps with decent LEDs. Zebralights (~2.2oz) are probably the brightest and lightest, it has a 80 degree flood, you might want more throw than this though. The updated Princeton Tec EOS II would be a good one, but it's hardly ultralight.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

FWIW, I had an e-lite and now use the petzl tikka plus. A few dollars more and 2.75 ounces, but it's much brighter and the AAA batteries give it longer life. Not to mention AAA's can be found virtually anywhere. It's unregulated as well, so it does drop off, but not nearly as quickly. I've seen them on sale under e-lite prices recently.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

After reading Adrian's reply above I dug out my Fenix LOP SE light. I think this came out about the time Fenix was introducing the LOD line. I think the SE version was regulated and had 3 light levels unlike the regular LOP which I believe was unregulated and had one level. So, anyway, I dug it out of my gear box, went and bought a Li AAA battery and modified a Photon clip to fit the light. Total wt. with battery and clip = 27 g, e+lite with batteries and also with modified Photon clip, = 21 g.

So, yeah, it's heavier, but only 6 grams. ( I know, a gram here, a gram there, it's a slippery slope.:-)) Well, I am going to give the Fenix a try and see how I like it. I found the eLite to be adequate, but as mentioned if you use it on high for more than 15 minutes you will suck those pour little button batteries down. It will not do as a headlight for very long. I'll see if the Fenix can do better.

-Mark

Brian Brown

@brianb6603

My favorite Light Is The Fenix LD10, Yes it is heaver (48.9g) than the AAA or button battery lights but with a e2 lithium AA the thing seems to run forever! I use only AA batteries in my camping/hiking gear so the AAA lights won't work for me.

Independent testing (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=224932) shows that the LD10 will run for 1 hr. 37 min on turbo (120 lumens) using a e2.
    The Fenix web page claims "General Mode: 9 lumens (34hrs) -> 47 lumens (6hrs) -> 94 lumens (2.2hrs) -> SOS, Turbo Mode: 120 lumens (1.5hrs) -> Strobe"

I find I use it mostly on low, sometimes i click it up to med unless I am trying to show off how bright it can be. ; ) Another cool thing is the "White diffuser tip". It weighs less than 10g and when used on the LD10 provides excellent area light. I hang it from the top loop of my tent and don't have to think about light till I turn it off.

For those of you who think 49g is just too heavy take a look at the Nitecorp EZ AA. This is a AA, 2 mode (hi-low) light that weighs just over 20g. the Nitecorp web site claims, "Low Mode: 10 lumens for up to 20 hours High Mode: 130 lumens for up to 1.5 hours Size: 83.0 x 16.6 mm (3.27 x 0.65 in)". This light had a recall because of low efficiency in low mode but the repaired version will be out at the end of the month (May). The review is at: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=228281

To look at these lights go to 4sevens.com, or google the names. Also http://www.candlepowerforums.com is a great source for anything related to flashlights.Fenix LD10 w/diffuser

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

The single AAA powered Fenix L0D clipped on my hat is near perfect at mid-level for night time trail hiking. For for use around camp the low level is more than adequate. I seldom have to switch to the high level boost.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Ok,I've been using my Fenix LOP SE light for almost 2 months and have become a big fan. Using a lithium AAA I have yet to replace it. I use it mostly in low mode, but even when I kick it up to high now it still seems to have plenty of juice. I'm still using my modified Photon clip (cut off the little tabs that hold the photon light and left a smooth little platform) with a doubled up rubber band to hold the light to the platform. It isn't pretty but it works and lets me clip the light to my hat band or hammock ridgeline. My e+Lite has been relegated to the nightstand drawer.

-Mark

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

Depending on use I have two. For regular outings where I need a camp light and some night time navigation I use a Fenix LOD CE. If I know for certain I am going to be hiking for several hours in the dark I take my new PT Eos-R which is amazingly bright and has a very long battery life on a high level of light…

Unknown abc

@edude

For a light I have converted to using those lights that clip on to the brim of your cap. I'm always weaing a baseball cap while backapcking anyway, it's lighter than a headlamp, and even if you're not wearing the cap they stay in your hand well. They're bright, and cheap. One will last a couple weekend trips and then give it to your kids/siblings to play with after that.

cheers

Dave T

@davet

George Summers
    BPL Member

@jorgoz

Locale: in the flat country of Belgium

I looked into the fenix lights, coz of the mentions around here.

But after some further looking around i bought a cree flashlight (fenix clone) through dealextreme. Also bought batteries, nano charger. Real real cheap, free shipping and all.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16844

It's the brightest flashlight i've owned. Quite light, compared to a aaa flashlight it's 'heavy'. Did i mention it's very bright…and as a bonus, no twister but a switch at the back which in the darkness glows, easy finding at night.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The French makers of PETZL STILL have a problem of lithium batteries burning up their circuits. (??)

Personally the regulated Princeton Tec headlamps get my vote. And I don't know why Black Diamond doesn't make regulated headlamps (Unless they have just begun to recntly).

Virtually all "mini" headlamps will be unregulated as the heat sink. etc. for regulation would make it too big to be mini.

BTW, what IS the lightest regulated headlamp? PT Quad?

Eric

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

My best flashlight is my LED Surefire. Pricy, but lights up the world. I usually hike with my BD headlamp though.

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

Pak-Lite Bright White.

Two settings – Light weight – Bombproof.

Low setting will last approx. 1,200 hours on Li battery.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

Most of my weekend trips here in NZ usually start with 2-4hrs tramping on Friday night and so far after going through 24 different headlamps, the new 50 lumen model of the Princeton Tec EOS is IMHO pretty near perfect. Sure its a few grams more than most 3AAA headlamps, but it is robust, waterproof, good range of light levels.

I once had an e-lite but its construction and performance left a lot to be desired. There is only so much that can be squeezed into a 1oz package.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I feel the same way about my "old" EOS. Couldn't ask for more, but I am still drooling at the prospect of upgrading to 50 lumens at the first excuse. :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Virtually all "mini" headlamps will be unregulated as the heat sink. etc. for regulation
    > would make it too big to be mini.

Not true.
    If you want to use a cheap linear regulator then heat sinking is an issue. That is quite inefficient.

But if you use a switched-mode regulator then heat sinking is emphatically not an issue, and the efficiency is much higher. All my *little* lights are fully regulated. None have heat sinks.

The problem is that many of the headlight companies are more concerned about visual appeal than efficiency, and are definitely mainly concerned about cheap-cheap-cheap production costs. Sadly, switched-mode circuits are dearer.

My little Photon Rex is fully regulated. Very cute. And rechargeable too.

Cheers

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Decided to take a closer look at the Fenix lights but what is there true website. https://www.fenix-store.com/ or http://www.fenixlight.com/%5Cnewping.asp There are so many lights is almost confusing . I like the idea of a single AAA or AA with the white diffuser tip for the tent.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I dismantled a Black Diamond Orbit, so only the battery chamber, diode and diode cover were left. Then drilled two small holes in the battery compartment cover for a very light cord loop. Since it takes AAAs, I can use AAA lithiums, which are readily found at Walmarts. The light quality is very good, much better than the best hang light I had before (a heavier European light called "Clip Light.")
    It is great as a flash light, or tent hang light, weighs only a couple ounces, is small, and puts out much more light than the minis.
    Sam Farrington, Chocorua NH

Matt DeWitt

@tritan

I have been looking at the Fenix site all night and torn between the LD10 and LD01 AAA vs AA . I do like the Idea of the diffuser but don't know if it will work with the LD01 model.Fenix LD01LD10

This special edition looks neat I don't know the price tho.SE

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools