Topic

a pattern for Tyvek Dog Tent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear a pattern for Tyvek Dog Tent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Anyone know of a DIY Dog Tent made of tyvek and using carbon fiber tent poles?

The advantage of Tyvek is that it is cheap, tough, breathable, and significantly water resistant. I have plenty of tyvek around the house and want to make a Tyvek dog tent for my 18 pound Fox Terrier for use while I do weekend training sessions and others are coming along and there is not room in the tent for the dog.

I would think using carbon fiber tent poles, tyvek, velcro tape, housewrap tape, and guylines that I should be able to make a nifty dog tent. Any pattern suggestions?

Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Will your dog will sleep in there by them-self ? Mine would not.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Good question, I think it depends on the dog's personal experience. At home, he sleeps in a cage in my bedroom at night. I think this will be similar, if his tent is near me and I can tell him to "stay down" if he gets up and he can see me in my tent. This is also another reason why I want to use the spare tyvek I have, to save money on this if it does not work out.

Linda Keys

@scout61

I made a tent for my mutt using silnylon and net. As for a pattern – I used the Bilgy tent as a model. You can easily create your own pattern with some brown packaging paper and a little geometry. I would recommend you use some netting in addition to the tyvek. Dogs shed heat by panting – which means plenty of condensation. And I designed it to use poles, but discovered that using sticks found along the way worked just as well.

My dog had no trouble sleeping in the tent by herself. She was crate trained, so the small space didn't bother her. I also set the tent up in the back yard and let her get a little used to it.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Linda, any chance you can take some pics of the tent and post even if it's a month or so downline when you're hiking again with the dog? Thanks!

Kris K.

@redmarbleshoe

Locale: Beautiful Northern AZ!

It has been months since this post, and no pics. Did you ever get a tent made or pics of hers?

I'm in the process of a search myself, and resorting to making on myself.

I have a cocker spaniel. He makes it pretty far on the day hikes here in Sedona and Prescott. So we are thinking of taking him on an weekend trip. My husband would like him to be in his own tent away from our UL gear, as Pete (dog) is accustom to climbing all over us for affection.

I would like to keep his carrying weight down in his Dog pack. I found an 11.8oz pack. I read dogs should only carry 1/4 of their body weight. So UL tent it is. Any help on a patern or lead?

Linda Keys

@scout61

Sorry for never posting a pic. I blew out my knee at the beginning of spring and haven't been getting out much. (That's what I get for spending the weekend doing yardwork instead of hiking!)

If you want to get an idea of what it looks like, go to the questoutfitters web site and imagine a mini-bilgy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools