Topic

Definition of Unsupported Speed Record

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Definition of Unsupported Speed Record

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Chris,
    The stoke 9 says it weighs 13.5 ounces.
    I will not be using it during the attempt because it won't hold 4 litters of water, but it is a nice pack.
    I actually like that it doesn't fit a long torso very well because it means that it sits right in the small of my back and feels weightless.
    The Nathan Synergy has a 750 ci capacity that should work great, and it should be stable enough to feel good with a max weight without water of around 7 pounds at the start.

I'm not too big on the weight factor during a trail speed attempt when it comes to the pack. Comfort is everything on how effects the final speed.

Rick Cheehy

@kilgoretrout2317

Locale: Virginia

I have no useful advice but: GO MAN GO! this is cool keep us posted.

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

After thinking more and more about this, I think you are right about the sleep thing, Aaron. I mean, the hallucinations I might encounter could be really entertaining, right?

Back when I trail raced, I remember reading about some funny hallucinations by ultra runners. One guy ran into a lake because he "could've have sworn that was a parking lot". Another jumped imaginary logs for a few miles while he got strange looks from his buddy who was busy batting at imaginary bats.

My only on trail hallucination was on the CDT in Montana. it was super hot and I was out of water, and I KNOW I saw the Planters peanut guy standing just off the trail. He even waved at me.

But in all seriousness, I think I should probably just take naps here and there and it should (in theory) drop my total time quite a bit.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

There have been times when I'm quite a bit faster with a little sleep vs none for sure. The current bike/Colorado Trail record holder was sleeping at least 4 hours a night and I averaged about the same on my last trip on the CT, less on the first and last night, a little more in between. Maybe 20 hours total in 126 trail hours?

I've never had hallucinations though even when fighting like mad not to fall asleep at the handlebars.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I have never had hallucinations either, even getting 19 hours of sleep over 10.5 days at Primal Quest.
    My teammate was talking to a soda can that she thought was a cat.
    she then realized it was a soda can and kept talking to it.

I'm pretty sure that for 55 hours, any more than 4 hours or so of sleep would end up slowing you down in the long run?

I am a firm believer that sleep does speed you up, even on a 2.5 day run. Mostly nights just slow down to the point of a crawl by the second night.
    If you get to that point, it is extremely hard to recover.
    I would loose much more time than if I had just sleep for about 1.5 hours.

Christopher Plesko

@pivvay

Locale: Rocky Mountains

let's look at an 8hr "night" period

4 hour sleep+ 4mph for 4 hour = 16 miles + fresh
    2mph for 8 hour slog = 16 miles + still tired

Of course that's a gross oversimplification but even in a wasted state I've been able to look at my GPS and upcoming course profile and see pretty clearly if I need to go down for a bit. Plus almost every time I push hard is different and sometimes I need to sleep, others I stay awake no problem so at this point I try not to get too crazy about scheduling it. Just listen carefully to my body and try to hear what it needs over what it wants (which is always a nap and food).

Zack Karas
    BPL Member

@iwillchopyouhotmail-com

Locale: Lake Tahoe

what do you guys use for light at night? I'm thinking of using a strap to put a headlamp around my waste, or just use a flashlight to compliment my Zipka headlamp on my head (though then I couldn't use both trekking poles).

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I'll be using my Fenix Headband around my waist.
    https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=645

It comes with 2 holders so that I can put a Fenix light in each one, (if necessary) and don't have to use a headlamp.
    Nothing will get in the way using my hiking poles as well.

Dave T

@davet

Sarah Spelt

@sarahpctr

Whit Rambach ran the TRT with Wendell Doman in 2004 and did it over 4 days – running during the day, getting aid at the trailheads (I crewed for them), and eating and sleeping off trail each night.

I've done the whole thing twice by myself that way, too – running during the day, getting aid at the trailheads, and eating at restaurants/camping off the TRT at night.

Sarah Spelt

@sarahpctr

Oh, and we've always started in Tahoe City and gone counter-clockwise, getting through Desolation Wilderness the first day, since it's the only long section with no crew access.

Good luck up there, Aaron!

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools