Topic

1955 Morse

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 1955 Morse

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

There is a 1955 Morse zigzag sewing machine for sale locally $50 picture looks very nice shape , add says working condition It has setting for silk and nylon or normal could this be a good find for sewing light nylons? I know nothing about but would like to try my hand at MYOG someday. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

They have a good reputation. A bit of a clone of the original Singers.
    Metal body: GOOD!

Cheers

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I would definitely suggest trying it or having them show you how it works on fabric before purchasing, if at all possible (I realize it could be through a local classifieds/ selling list page where you’ll meet in some public place). $50 sounds good but getting it serviced is considerably more expensive.  If the machine wasn’t cleaned regularly, the insides could be jammed up with dust and gunk, and I know locally for me it costs $150 for a thorough cleaning of an older machine that hasn’t been well-maintained.  “In working condition” has me a little worried that the seller was not the original owner and may be cleaning out their parents’ basement and did a very cursory check that the machine turns on; the best used machine sellers will usually report on how the machine was used and how regularly it was cleaned. At one point I had several sewing machines that various people had given to me (free sewing machines! sounded great!) that all needed some degree of work or hard-to-find parts. I finally let go of them, keeping only my grandmother-in-law’s never-fail Singer Featherweight from the 1940s, and a Necchi Lydia free-arm machine that has all the features I want but that I’ll have to get serviced to get back into operation.

Make sure the hand wheel turns smoothly, the foot pedal wires are in good shape (not frayed), the needle is responsive to the foot pedal (starts and stops immediately upon pressing and releasing the pedal), and that the needle moves smoothly without any grinding noises. Good luck!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It’s just a Japanese clone of a Singer 15.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Thanks  for the advise guys the lady can’t demonstrate that it works cause she does not know how to sew. I may try to get a friend that is more qualified to judge condition or wait for another unit . At least I don’t need one right now. Thanks again

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Have you considered doing the servicing yourself?
    The technology in those old sewing machines is usually quite basic, and they were made to be serviced easily.

Cheers

Mike K
    Spectator

@ke6cvh

The Morse sewing machines were well made albeit not all the same manufacturer is my understanding. Later (than 50’s) might not be all metal.  The guy who imported Morse machines was from New York and got in trouble because he claimed they were made in USA but eventually was able to move on as he was one of many.  The Morse and other so-called JA machines are almost entirely class 15 cloned systems which means a clone (improved in some respects but not necessarily in all) version of the Singer model 15 which was a production run running over 100 years.  Class 15 bobbins and bobbin cases are easily available from online sources and cheap.  There is a fb group for collectors of vintage Japanese sewing machines.  Mid 50’s might mean it was manufactured by Toyota.  Is this one bright colors or grey?  Personally, if I was going for a machine to MYOG I’d get an all metal Kenmore or other all metal machine that had a 3 step zig zag but that is just me.  Many of these machines will have a single nylon gear in it.  Some can be had and others cannot.  I have lots (too many to admit) machines and that is both industrial and vintage domestic.  I’ve gotten lucky sometimes and been able to replace nylon gears but even with some of these the nylon gears are no longer available.  Maintenance on these machines is quite basic.  An external belt driven motor machine like the Morse if the motor was shot could easily be replaced from an online motor.  Internet tutorials abound on how to lube the motors and clean them.  Timing not all that hard if needed.  If it is not frozen from shellacqued oil good but with an all metal machine a hair dryer and some mineral oil (called White sewing machine oil because it doesn’t leave spots) will free up a frozen machine in short order….in fact with 100 percent metal I just go the steroid approach and break out the heat gun and the oil.  Rusty parts can be cleaned.  I’ve hardly ever seen a worn out domestic as they typically were not used much in a household.  Wish I could see a picture of it to tell you more.  Best regards, Mike

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

True story – really.

I was looking for some spares for a very old Singer I had, and I found could only get them from the Singer Australia warehouse. So I went there. And got chatting to the warehouse manager. I think he loved the machines.

He challenged me to name the most popular sewing machine based on volume. Dunno.

It was (at that stage) a basic treadle-driven black Singer originally from ages and ages ago – but still in high volume production. Huh???? You jest?

No Joke: export to Africa and some other third world countries by the container load. They don’t (didn’t) have electricity in these places , so all the modern fancy machines were useless there! And those old black Singers lasted for ever.

Chuckle: bobbins and needles from a modern machine are compatible – or maybe I should put that the other way around?

Cheers

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

It’s an off white and bright blue I just failed at loading a picture. Any other site I manage but I’m not smart enough for BPL It’s on Facebook marketplace in Dubuque IowaSewing machine

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I DID IT!!!   Not really sure how though.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Sorry for being rude Roger. Ya I’d consider servicing it it the directions tell how or I could find online

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Rude?
    Where?
    You weren’t!

You know, for $50 I would be inclined to buy it first and find out how to service it later.
    As long as the motor spins and the needle can go up and down, even if a bit clagged up with old grease. Really, the guts on those old mechanical machines are very simple – and solid.

Cheers

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Ok so do to Mikes comments above I already have a old metal kenmore with what looks like 5 zig zag settings. What drew me to this Morse was the normal and silk / nylon setting it has,  is that desirable? it sounds like it would be.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

normal and silk / nylon setting
    Marketing, marketing. . .
    I suspect that the silk setting might have a lower tension. That would make sense, and be useful.

Cheers

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools