Topic

BPL Stix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Stix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jim draucker
    BPL Member

@mtnjim

Locale: Shenandoah Valley VA

I need some feedback about single piece
    poles. Any input would be appreciated.
    In all honesty , I usually hike with a bamboo staff. I'm getting old, knees are getting dodgey.

Jim

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I have the 130cm Stix(I am 6'3)and have used them many times with no problems at all. I really like the one piece poles- I don't know how many times the locking mechanism has failed on me in the middle of a hike –Just too much fiddle factor. Komperdell and Leki have great trekking poles but I am leaning more and more to the one piece pole like the Stix. BPL Stix (High Five)

-2 cents worth

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

Jim, are you only considering one-piece poles or are you open to 2-piece? I've been using the Gossamer Gear Light Trek 4s for a while and really like them. They have the best locking mechanism I've ever seen and they have not failed me ones.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Don't forget that if you fly to your hiking destination one piece poles are problematic.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

For the past 4 years I have used the original LuxuryLite TrailSticks. They were my first experience with trekking poles after using a "hiking stick" (bamboo etc.) for years. You won't be sorry using poles. Life on the trail just gets easier with poles. They make a big difference, especially on down hills and stream crossing.

Daniel Cox

@stilldtc

Locale: The desert

I have both the BPL Stix and GG Lightrek 3 customs and I have to strongly recommend the Lightreks over the Stix. The difference for me comes down to the plastic tips on the Lightreks over the carbon fiber tips on the Stix. My cf tips broke after only a couple of overnight test trips, and suffice I was less than pleased. If you do finally decide to go with the Stix, buy them 5 cm short and go get replacement Leki tips to coveer the stock tips a la Andrew Skurka style.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Another vote for one-piece poles. Last year I switched from the REI UL poles to the BPL Stix. I've been very pleased with the Stix. I was hesitant in using them for 2 reasons: (1) needed adjustable pole for my rain shelter/cape (Gatewood Cape) and (2) I like to CX (cross country) hike to the hard-to-get to places.

I've adapted to the Stix by replacing the Gatewood's stakeout loops with 1/8” bungee cord. This allows me to use my pole (at slight angle) and gives self-adjusting tension in wind and rain. For CX travel I still use the poles (more than I thought) and when not needed, I just drag them via the attached wrist loops. This system works for me and I can't imagine hiking w/o poles again.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Personally, I love fixed length poles. No noise, no change of slippage, no maintenance- just extremely light poles with a very consistent trail feel and flex.

The new Gossamer Gear Lightrek poles are brilliant and the poles I go to most every time (and being the trekking pole editor, I have a huge collection).

I like collapsible poles for flights or trips where I know I'll be carrying the poles a lot. Other than that, I really dislike swinging around the locking mechanisms. Fixies are so much more reliable, lightweight, and beautiful.

Mark Jones
    BPL Member

@hibisk55

Locale: The Back of Beyond

I love Gossamer Gear Lightrek poles. I used Leki aluminum adjustable poles for years. I resisted the move to carbon fiber for fear of duability. Reports of broken shafts made them suspect, but that seems to be a a problem of the past. I made the change and can say that the liberation of a 4.0 ounce carbon fiber pole is incredible.

I use the Lightrek 4 adjustable poles, but I think I would prefer the single peice Lightrek 3s. The simplicity of a a single piece pole is appealing. The Lightrek 4 is not short enough for convenient airline travel, nor is it short enough to store in a pack. It would be great if they were 3 peice and collapsed to a shorter length. GG are you listening?

The wrist strap/no wrist strap debate has been extensively addressed in this forum. I have become a convert to strapless poles. I like the simplicity of no straps – just grip and go. The GG Ligthtrek grips are exceptionally designed. The shape is perfect to grip at the base to effectively shorten the pole for uphill climbs or grip at the top to effectively lengthen the pole for downhill decents. They are perfectly shaped to palm for steep descent, boulder hoping, stream crossing, etc.

I have a pair of BPL Stix, but I have assigned them to alpine ski duty. They are great poles; however, I am concerned about the vulnerability of the carbon fiber tips. The Leki tip mentioned in a previous post seems like it would be a suitable solution to this weakness. I also perfer the smaller diameter of the GG poles. I really like the Stix for ski poles. I purchased mine at last year's 40% off sale.

Lightrek 3s are near the top of my wish list.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools