Topic

Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Remote Fueled Alcohol Stove #2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Locale: San Fernando Valley

Hi Dan:

Thank you for update! I'm been on the edge of my seat for this one.

*watching the video* A COOKIE SHEET! That means you're wife must be home. Real stovie men test out there stovies raw, right on top of the countertop. Just ask Jason Klass. He's a real man that doesn't give a rip about what his wife thinks when the counter top catches fire *smiling*

Jest in good fun :)

I really do appreciate this update. That has got to be one of the slickest inline set-ups I've seen.

All of this tool-buying is making me bankrupt.

re: The funnel windscreen seals at the base of the supercat. It's like having an integrated priming pan. Having said that, all this talk from me is just a theory. We'll see if my Romeo & Juliet Stove can cook with the best of them :)

Jesse :
    Dan makes the Starlyte. He has been modifying it recently to accommodate the remote fuel feed line. This gives the end user the flexibility to simmer with an adjusted flame size. What's key about adjusting the flame using reduced fuel inflow, as opposed to closing down your wick, is that it conserves on fuel.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

Thanks Jesse. This set-up will work with pretty much any stove is correct. I chose the StarLyte because of it's fuel absorbing, no spill feature. I've been known to be a little klutzy at times, that's why I used the oven liner on my kithen table to do the video =)

I came across a bottle in my cache of garage kept stuff that will be a nice addition to the remote stove set-up. I'll put it together tonight and do a video of it tomorrow while my wife is at work. heh heh!!

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Here is the collapsable bottle I told you about. I think it's going to work well. I used the shrader valve in this setup. It works well. I had to work fast making the video, my wife was due home soon. =)

<center>

</center>

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcPNHWioGA0

at minute 4. Tinny isn't convinced restricting fuel flow works.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Matthew
    Is your Cigar Case SuperCat/Heineken set up meant to work or just a design exercise ?
    The reason I am asking that is because
    1) I cannot see how the flame could remain alight after 30 sec or so from the moment you put the "pot" in place
    2) how could it stand up by itself anywhere except on the kitchen bench
    3) how in a backpacking trip it would last more than a few boils before the screen falls apart .

Franco

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Matthew, the I.V. Administration set that I sent you is rated at 15 drops per ML. It contains the "Roller clamp" that it used to regulate the flow of liquid into the patient. It has to be accurate right. Once the nurse walks away we don't want more or less flowing through the tube right. The device is accurate and dependable. After you have built a stove and know how much fuel it burns per min you are ready to set the flow of fuel by drops per min. Your stove burns 1 ml of fuel per min. and that equals 15 drops per min. The I.V. set is rated at 15 drops per ml so you do a visual calibration of the roller clamp according to the directions on the package.
    Once the 15 drops per min is established, you scribe a permanent line on the clamp next to the wheel. That line becomes your max. fuel guage. Roll the wheel backwards and it reduces the flow by x amount of drops. Less drops mean the stove starts to go into a simmer mode. The more the wheel is moved backward the less fuel used. All the way back and it will shut the stove off. Chris Ryan might be able to testify of the accuracy and dependability of the "roller clamp" Matthew, you might be able to give us some insight how well your clamp controlled fuel. At this point we are only interested in the accuracy and dependability of the valve.

Edited by
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

I am quite interested in the discussion about controllable alcohol stoves, as are many others, but I suggest that we confine the discussion to the stoves and not start criticising the efforts of other people.

I would also ask that you (Dan) make it a bit more clear in these postings that you have a vested interest in selling stoves. If you want to do this by noting it in your by-line that would be fine.

Roger

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Dan,
    You said "You'll notice that Tinny….."

The "He said You said" game doesn't play very well with me.

I do appreciate your stove efforts. Keep up the R&D.

But try to limit your posts to just that.

BTW, since you're selling your gear here and elsewhere, you do have a vested interest, and need to disclose that in your posts.

Thanks.

Edited by Greg: The reference above has been removed, but my comments still stand.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Roger:

I appreciate the intent above. I am concerned, however, that you may not have all the background information before interjecting.

Dan and I are working on remote fueled R&D. Dan has generously given me a fuel bag and regulator which I could not find in my local area. He even paid for the shipping! Dan refused my money when I offered to cover postal costs. In every interaction I have had with Dan, he has been personable, thoughtful, and above all selfless in sharing his findings.

Dan is not criticizing me. He's responding to the content in the video post with factual information supporting the direction our stoves are headed.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Hi Franco:

The aluminum used is HFA 321 – manufactured for cooking. I have left the lightweight aluminum directly on my house-hold stove's burner with no ill effect. Stove's burner was set to High.

"is this an exercise" – I certainly hope it doesn't radically turn into an exercise :) I've been known to accidentally set my kitchen dryer rack on fire burning fuel through an aluminum tube while my wife is out. It turns out fuel vaporized very quickly in tubes.

I took a picture to show the stove's support. The previous posts did a poor job communicating how the design would eventually come together. Bad news : I've been walking around my house for the past 10 minutes looking for the usb cord to upload the photo for you. It appears gnomes broke into my house and have taken the much needed usb cord. sorry, no visual.

Air holes will be popped into the cone and funnel. I will stagger the air holes to maintain a windscreen effect.

Hope this helps.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thanks Matthews.
    "Bad news : I've been walking around my house for the past 10 minutes looking for the usb cord to upload the photo for you."
    Apparently that is called having a men's look. I have practiced that for decades and rather good at it. In fact I am getting better . But I do amuse myself by finding things hours or days later often in some bizarre places.
    Franco

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Matthew

I suspect you had not read Dan's posting before I edited it. It was not a response to your video.

The part I deleted was a lengthy criticism of Tinny and his stoves. I am aware of the past history (over several web sites) in this area, and have no wish to see it repeated on this web site.

Let us focus instead on the stoves both of you have under development. The idea of a fuel control on an alky is intriguing. Your efforts are worth reporting.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    backpacking Light

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Thank you Roger and Greg. The very first post of this thread I stated that I did not have a vested interest in this stove. I am not here to sell a remote fueled stove only to generate interest in the application of remote fueling. Notice also that I did not bring the name Tinny into this conversation. Tinny and I share ideas. We don't always agree on materials used or technigues. I think that's healthy. I feel my comments were just fine and did not go into a lenthly criticism. My comments were directed to Matthew's observations viewed on a video produced by Tinny. In my postings here I don't bring up Tinny's name or his site. The members of this site do. I answer to their concerns and questions. In this thread I was only addressing the area that Matthew was concerned with. I did edit it once Greg brought certain areas to light. I tried!!!!!!

Matthew and others, here is a photo of some fittings that are available in hardware stores to be used on the burner portion of stove bodies.

<center>

</center>

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Dan:
    Thanks for the update. Curious about the fitting's total combined weight. From my observations, the electrical snap-in components appeared to be lighter.

Funnel secured to cone stand.
    stand

Good news is we're still under 10grams for the stoves base. This does not account for platy sports bottle fuel bag, cap, and silicone hose. Air holes still need to be cut into the side of the base.7grams

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Matthew, the brass components are just for added ideas on off the shelf products that can be used. Heavier yes, but more durable. depends on the end use.

GEAR talk. Everything GEAR. All about GEAR. Ultralight backpacking gear. Lightweight backpacking gear. Hiking gear. Anything GEAR. Gear that sucks, gear that works, gear that's cheap, gear that's cool, gear that's overrated by lying manufacturers, gear that's only available from a side street Spanish market, gear that breaks, gear that's multi-use, gear that can be Googled, GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR GEAR. Now go. Talk 'some gear

It would be good if we could apply those principles in the MYOG forum.

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

Completed Stove
    – Integrated Windscreen
    – Stable pot stand
    – 9 grams total weight
    – Fuel efficient design traps heat at bottom of pot

completed stove

Stove position in funnel allowed for wick-less priming.Lit

Heine keg snapped into Integrated Windscreen (yes it's lit :)view from bottom up

Integrated windscreen controls flame beneath pot allowing for cosy to be used while on stovecosy

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Hi Matthew,

Nice work,

As the pot seems to be a tight fit on the stove where do the flew gasses come out.

Tony

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

The ventilation on the bottom of the cone and funnel has proven to be enough.

Tony Beasley
    BPL Member

@tbeasley

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle

Thanks Matthew,

Not having proper flue ventilation might raise you CO levels a bit.

Tony

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Very nice Matthew. How much fuel does it hold, how long of a burn time on one load of fuel, how much time to heat 2 cups of water under ideal conditions? What effect does the heat have on the stove after a few burns? Did you use "tooling foil" to fabricate the stove?

bj bretzke

@lilorphanbilly

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)

This has been a most educating thread.

Matthew:
    Where is the thread showing/explaining your cigar tube super cat? It looks most cool!

Dan: Thanks for the remote system. Very ingenious and I just happen to have a medically inclined family. As for your post on 4/18, so your saying that we should concentrate on our own myog. MYOG. MYOG. MYOG. What other people do is their deal. Use the ideas, don't use the ideas, but keep our personal feelings to ourselves? Is that it, sensei?

Only 16 days til the first hike of the season:}

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Hi bj, and glad to be able to inject some ideas using the medical goodies for parts. If they're good enough for the pros, good enough for me. = ) What I had said in the above questioned post was a partial quote from "The G Spot Forum".

Read in thread dated 4/18/09 by Roger where he tells Matthew of a lengthy criticism of Tinny and his stoves. In this forum we're not welcomed to criticise or discuss other stove designs as they compare to what we present here.

Dan
    That's not what I said.

G Spot is about Gear. Anyone is welcome to comment or criticise gear as much as they want, although have some facts to back up the comments is always advisable to maintain credibility. :-)

But personal attacks on people are not welcome: this is meant to be a friendly place.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

So here we just do as we're told

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=18

Read the header portion of the Forum.

Hi Matthew, where are you, whats the latest?

Matthew Roberts

@matthewjamesroberts

I'm here. I'm alive :)

Sorry it has been some time since I've touched back. I've been out playing in the desert and since have been side tracked with a tyvek bivy project :)

All I need now is Dupont to make tyvek in Multicam for stealth camping.

Okay, back to stoves. Dan, please lay out for me again what ideal conditions are – ie. 70degrees, etc.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Welcome back and glad you're still alive!!!!

Ideal Conditions:

70 degree air temp and starting water temp.

No air movement.

Try using river edge mud as an organic "stain" on a piece of tyvec to see how well it would work for your stealth needs.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools