Topic

Smelly Sil-Nylon

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Does anyone else's Sil-Nylon smell like @ss? Seriously, everytime I open the pack it smells like a church nursery…..minus the Vienna sausages.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Our ponchos and tents don't smell of anything.
I always clean and dry ours after every trip though.
What you are describing sounds a bit like mould growth maybe?

Cheers

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 3:32 pm

The only smell I detect inside or by my shelters is my own…
Either bad storage, although I am not aware of silnylon being affected by mould, or you are getting a reaction from it. As a kid I used to reacted badly (IE headaches and wonted to vomit) from the smell or a certain type of PVC commonly used then for car seats. Nobody else around me was affected by that. My mother had a shopping bag made out of that stuff and I felt sick just by opening the door of the cupboard where it was stored in.
Franco

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Nathan, I hear you. I too dislike the smell of silnylon and noseeum mesh. Nothing to do with dampness — they come smelling like that right from the manufacturers.

Roleigh Martin BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Another cool web page:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf466501.tip.html

How do you get the smell out of nylon shirts?

RE: How do you get the smell out of nylon shirts?
Post By Becki in Logansport, Indiana (Guest Post) (04/26/2004)

I would soak it in a mix of 1/2 cold water, 1/2 vinegar, then let it drip dry outdoors. If you can let it hang in the sun and fresh air (on a clothesline or balcony) for a day or longer, that would probably be a big help! (I never heard of the vodka suggestion — interesting!)



RE: How do you get the smell out of nylon shirts?
Post By .Linne Dodds (Guest Post) (04/20/2004)

Buy some OUT in the Pet department at WalMart.Pour some in whatever container you want to wash the shirts in,even in the washer.It smells like vanilla extract.Of course if you don't like Vanilla then maybe some Febreze or vinegar might help.



RE: How do you get the smell out of nylon shirts?
Post By julie walker (Guest Post) (04/19/2004)

Place your shirt in a bucket and fill 1/2 full with cold water. Shake in 2 cups baking soda and stir. Add 1 cap ERA liquid landury detergent and stir. Leave in cool place for 24 hours and then wring out by hand. Launder as usual with warm water laundry. In future, remember that some NYLON garments don't allow for body breathing and should not be purchased. It is a good idea to purchase a washable blend.
Good luck this worked for me in the same situation when I was younger.



RE: How do you get the smell out of nylon shirts?
Post By Lois (Guest Post) (04/19/2004)

My Fashion teacher who is involved in theater told us to keep costumes fresh from daily wear…they would spray the underarms with a mix of water and vodka…I don't know the portions but it would kill the smell and freshen the garment for daily use.

[end of paste]

I like the Vodka idea!

Monty Montana BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Nathan, I once picked up a used Golite Breeze pack from this site, and it smelled liked it had been fished out of a sewage lagoon. Having no success with the remidies mentioned above I finally tried McNett's Mirazyme, an enzyme treatment. It worked, but it took several applications.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I'm talking about the smell of a brand new piece of sil-nylon ordered from thru-hiker.com…..no washing needed, it just stinks!

It's not mold, mildew, etc….it's the silicone.

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 5:35 pm

"Nathan, I once picked up a used Golite Breeze pack from this site, and it smelled liked it had been fished out of a sewage lagoon."

Who's the seller? :)

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedMar 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Nathan. That smell will go away after exposed to some fresh air and sunlight for the day. I have ordered sil in the past that has definitely had a funk to it. I wash whatever I make in the washer after manufacture, and dry it outside. Hope that helps.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 8:20 pm

That smell is called "lack of use" or sometimes called "new gear" and it stinks.

The only way to get rid of the smell is to use it.

PostedMar 13, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Well it has only been used once….will use it again tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain, so hopefully that gets the stink out.

my roommate asked today if one of the dogs went the bathroom in the house when I was just playing with my gear…so it's *that* bad.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Loading...