Topic

New quilt almost done but …..

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New quilt almost done but …..

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tim

I understand what you are saying. The problem with email is the lack of voice and face cues. 'Shock horror' with a grin about the lack of a hood, but my last sentence is to be taken seriously. I *would* like to hear how it goes.

Why? Because so often people sleep at home without anything over their heads. But usually they can pull the quilt around their shoulders. So my interest is whether Kevin's bag has enough length to do the same.

Cheers

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

Looks awesome. Now go give it some hiker funk.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

it's true that we don't use hats or hoods at home and if needed pull the covers over our heads, however it is never 30* in my bedroom.

Also for the quilt to be used in that way it'd need to be at least 12" longer (maybe more), which adds more weight than a hat or balaclava, and is less versatile.

-Tim

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Locale: Southern Cal

Matt,
    Yes, hope to give it a funk soon !! I just made the nice big storage stuff sack out of the left over sheet that I used for the origional pattern on the quilt.

Tim, that was my plan all along. Similar to the nice quilts you have been making, I plan on just using my existing hat to keep my head warm. Roger, I typically see temps only down to about 40-35 degrees but being out in the High Sierra's in late Sept. we get the ocassional 25 degree low front coming through. In that case .. I would just makes sure that I'm wearing some of my extra clothing to bed and I have a nice hooded BPL Caccoon that I can double up with a wool hat. I know you see much colder temps in your neck of the woods. I will definitely report back on how well the new quilt works.

Thanks again to EVERYONE that wrote up great info on how they made their quilts and posted great photos. It sure helped me take on this project and I'm very happy with the end result.
    Kevin

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Nicely done, Kevin! Looks like a great fit, too…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Kevin, that looks awesome. It looks like it fits you perfect. How long is it in length? You mention 5" baffle spacing and I count …16 baffles? That's an 80" quilt?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

80" is perfect for someone 6'2". Kevin's quilt uses a drawcord at the foot to make the footbox. This style requires more length than a quilt with a round footbox.

-Tim

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

This style requires more length than a quilt with a round footbox

Ahhh, I see. I was getting nervous there. :)

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Yes,
    Tim is right on with the length dimensions.

Quick review in case anyone wants the specs:
    80.0" finished length (84.0" pattern)

Footbox is 38" width x 26.0" length. finished. (40.0" pattern)
    Hips are 46.0" width finished (48.0" pattern) 34" length from the hips to the top of the quilt.

Top is 52.0" finished (54.0" pattern) but has a large 12" diameter radius cut at the corner to remove the material so it doesn't clump at the neck.

Seems to fit about right for me but I wouldn't be able to layer with a ton of clothing ? I will know better once I have a chance to go out and test.

Kevin

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Headed into the Sierra's this past weekend and spent four days at or above 12,000. Four day forecast was for lows to be around 26°. VERY HAPPY to report that the quilt and Neoair was able to keep me warm enough to sleep in MUCH colder temps then forecasted!!!!!
    Breakdown of the 3 nights

Night one: Temp recorded down to 18°

Neoair Medium size mattress
    1/8 Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, cut to 40" length, under the Neoair. Nothing else under my legs for insulation.
    The quilt in my Cuben/Momentum bivy.
    Wearing thin silk bottoms, Cloudveil pants, light socks, Thin long-sleeved shirt, BPL Cocoon pullover, lightweight gloves, and fleece stocking hat.

My feet got cold midway though the night. I wasn't expecting the temp to drop so low and my toes were definitely cold. The rest of my body was nice and warm.

Night two: Temp recorded down to 5° !!!! All time low for me and the two others I was with!

Neoair Medium size mattress
    1/8 Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad, cut to 40" length, under the Neoair. Gossamer Gear pack under my legs for insulation added now to keep the toes warm.
    The quilt in my home made Cuben/Momentum bivy.
    Wearing thin silk bottoms, Cloudveil pants, 2 pairs of light socks, Thin long-sleeved shirt, BPL Cocoon pullover, lightweight gloves, Western Mountaineering flash vest, and fleece stocking hat.

Slept warm from head to toe. We all expected the temps to drop but never guessed that they would go so low! Very glad I was able to test this out as I now know what this quilt and Neoair is capable of keeping me warm to.

Night three got down to 16° and was pretty much a repeat of night two.

I really wanted to test the 1/8" Thinlight pad on top of the Neoair but thought it would be to easy to tear trying to get into the quilt at night.

One of the guys in our group had ONLY 3/8" Thinlight pad for insulation and padding under his head, back, and butt and 1/8" Thinlight padding under his legs with a 22 oz Sleeplight Sleeping bag!!! I could never have pulled this off and still don't know how he does it! Will post pics later to show his exact sleeping setup!

adam peterson

@pacbacker

Locale: The Pacfic Northwest

nice job on the quilt, looks really good. im also intrested in using a lighter bag/quilt and making use of the layers that im already carry with me. i've had my 30 degree bag down to 11 degrees wearing long underware, cap4 shirt, a pair wool socks and a stocking cap with my head outside of the bag. i was sleeping on an exped syn 7 inside a tent.

i think the whole thing is very subjective, everyone sleeps differently. my hats off to you, your quilt sounds like its doing just what you want it to.

Kevin Egelhoff

@kegelhoff

Just realized that I never posted a photo of the sleeping set-up. So, here is a link to a little video I made of the trip that shows some great photos of Humphrey's basin and the sleeping arrangements!

adam peterson

@pacbacker

Locale: The Pacfic Northwest

Thats a great clip, reminds me of one of my favorite places.

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools