Topic

New Tarptents. It’s official !

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Don't get me wrong, I too see many advantages to the scarp 2 vs pyramid tents, and indeed they are completely different designs. In addition to the above comments, having a full fabric inner option makes the Scarp 2 better protected from blowing snow, sand, and dripping condensation, and the true freestanding design is more versatile than the Hex 3's large stake-based footprint.

That said, I am interested specifically in wind and snow loading comparisons, which I think are fair since they are both billed as 2-person 4 season lightweight shelters of the same weight. Mainly I would be interested in comparing the strength of the 3 arch poles on the scarp vs the single pole of the Hex. The concern with long tent poles of course is that they may break and cause tent failure, but on the other hand there are reports of the center pole of the Hex 3 bending/snapping as well. If the 3 arch poles distribute the pressure well, it may in fact deflect higher winds than the Hex, where all the pressure is focused onto the center pole. I know I've been uncomfortable with the amount of flexing at times of my hiking poles in the Hex 3.

In addition, I'd like to see general fabric deflection amounts on the larger unsupported panels of the Hex 3 vs the more structured frame of the Scarp 2.

I suppose the one notable advantage of the Hex 3 is that one could use a sturdy branch or a partner's hiking poles if one's main pole snapped. One question for Henry: if the center pole were to snap in the Scarp 2, could one of the cross pulls be altered to replace the main pole? That would add some nice redundancy.

Adrian B BPL Member
PostedMar 10, 2009 at 1:34 am

>Franco's tips :

Franco, I can't wait for your book to come out.

PostedMar 10, 2009 at 2:09 am

Thanks Adrian, but whilst you are waiting you could look at the Scarp. Ideal for your weather.
A mate of mine has just returned from over there, he was in Queenstown about a week ago. Oddly enough he had a lot of rain during his two weeks vacation around NZ.
( I worked in Frankton many years ago)
Franco

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
Loading...