Topic

New Tarptents. It’s official !

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Henry has posted some pictures of the Hogback and the Scarp 2.
Some have hinted about them, others even posted comments, but you be the judge.
BTW, the Hogback is not a 4 season tent…
Franco
Hogback
Scarp 2
The one at the top with three mats visible and one trying to hide, is the Hogback, the other with the tie outs for the crossing poles is the Scarp 2
…

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Hrm – no crossing poles on like the Scarp? Why? I bet there is a good reason.

Otherwise, I am very, very impressed by the Scarp 2. It looks great and I love the attached inner/outer tent – just like a Hilleberg.

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Yes, as I pointed out it isn't designed to be an all season tent. And that is also why it isn't a Scarp.
I would guess that a little dry snow is OK for it…
But Henry might have some more accurate details.
Franco
Hogback snow

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 7:46 pm

> no crossing poles on like the Scarp

Well, I can see the same tie tapes running up from the corners, so I can't see why you can't add crossed poles.

Cheers

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Looks like the Hogback is just over 4 lbs. and the Scarp 2 comes in at just under 3 1/4.

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Re: Hogback crossing poles, they're possible but you don't gain nearly as much fabric support out of the structure, compared to a Scarp 1 or 2, because the Hogback is so wide. Poles–quite long–can be added if you just have to have free-standing support but, honestly, I don't think the additional weight is really worth it just for that. It's likely that we'll add support for a crossover pole that runs right over the top and terminates along/aligns with the midpoint strut on both sides. That allows a mid panel pullout to tension to it. That feature gives you much better fabric support for the additional weight.

Re: Pricing, TBD pending final production costs.

-H

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Huzzah, looks great. I love that the Scarp 2 has both mesh and solid interiors as options, so you customize it to three or four season use. Almost as spacious as the lunar duo but should be a lot more stable in the wind.

Looking forward to getting one…!

Mary D BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Extremely disappointing; I was looking for a lightweight 4-person single-wall tent, not a double-wall. It's obviously going to be too heavy for me to carry. Oh, well, at least I can save my money.

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 11:10 pm

The tent looks great, but wont SOMEBODY please make a Caffin style tunnel tent already!?!?!

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Mary, I suspect that the double wall doesn't actually add a whole lot of weight. The scarp 2 for example is only going to be 10-12 ounces heavier than the double rainbow but it will be much bigger and has the extra end struts for stability and space. I'm not sure how much the extra mesh weighs, but maybe only a few ounces (3-5?). A lot of people will be happy with the tradeoff there.

The reason the hogback weighs over 4 pounds is because it is so darn big! It's a party tent!

PostedMar 8, 2009 at 11:19 pm

> The tent looks great, but wont SOMEBODY please make a Caffin style tunnel tent already!?!?!

Although the tunnel design is good for saving weight and stability in winds I prefer this dual-entry, double wall design for most 3+ or light 4 season use. But I'm sure he would have lots of buyers if he could find a suitable way of manufacturing them for a reasonable price and quality.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 4:46 am

The tent looks great, but wont SOMEBODY please make a Caffin style tunnel tent already!?!?!

Yes, it is frustrating, isn't it? I first saw Roger's tent designs in the early days of his personal website and always wanted to make one myself. Even asked Roger if it would be possible to get copies of his patterns (very presumptuous on my part, I know… (^J^)/" ). Then he keeps admonishing us for not using his types of tents more often, but there is nothing like them on the market. So I sit hungrily gazing at photos of his designs, but not knowing how to get one. I certainly don't have all the skills necessary for making one myself, especially the calculations necessary for the patterns. I taught myself how to sew over the last ten years and so I think I would be able to cobble together a decent shelter, but have any of you ever tried figuring out a fabric pattern? There are reasons why there are professional pattern makers! And I wouldn't know how to fit together the carbon fiber poles either, since I only have a tiny apartment that can't take a collection of the tools necessary, or even the space to lay out the fabric. I also just don't have the time to make shelters any more. And I've learned that I don't much like sewing those LOOOOOOONG silnylon seams!

I would buy a CaffinTent in an instant!

Having made many shelters myself I appreciate very much what both Henry and Roger have come up with and actually made. No mean feat, and truly admirable when you think how difficult it is to come up with original designs.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 6:16 am

All I can say is thank you Henry for not making the Rainshadow 2 I just bought obsolete! I was really worried I would have to upgrade. But now that the new designs are out I see that the Scarp 2 is another beast in its own right. Now, if I could only say the same thing about the first generation iPhone I bought right before they released the 3G model I'll be happy.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 8:15 am

Now I see why it’s called the Hogback, and I’m glad that Henry chose such a self-aware name – that has to be the ugliest tent I have ever seen, and I mean that in the best way possible. :)

I also noticed that both scarps and the hogback are patent pending (under the same patent, I presume). I want to give Henry a virtual fist-bump for going through the process to protect his designs. He appears to have always been savvy in this department, and for those who are interested, here are two of his other patents, available through google patent search:

Patent 1
Patent 2

Kari Post BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 11:41 am

If I'm thinking about this correctly, does that mean that you could theoretically buy a mesh interior and a solid interior, and then swap them out based on the conditions?

If this is true, is it possible that this will that be an option (Henry?)?

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 12:10 pm

> If I'm thinking about this correctly, does that mean that you could theoretically buy a mesh interior and a solid interior, and then swap them out based on the conditions?

Yes, that's correct. We're making both types of inners. I have absolutely no idea of demand but we'll make more as needed.

-H

Barry P BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 1:07 pm

This is what I have been waiting for!
My wife will probably make me sell about 3 tents first.

-Barry

. . BPL Member
PostedMar 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Henry,

1. Are there any itemized weight stats yet for the Scarp 2, including the pole options?

2. Is there any way to incorporate trekking poles into this model?

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 2:10 pm

"My wife will probably make me sell about 3 tents first."

Barry,

PM Franco, he can help you explain UL Gear "reality" to your wife.

It couldn't hurt.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I have a standing deal with my girlfriend – I get another shelter (I have three tents, one solo tarp and a poncho tarp) and she gets an appliance. We do have a microwave that needs to go…

She's a good mix of Susie Homemaker and raging feminist – and she hikes, understandings UL principles and loves to talk gear. You get the idea.

PostedMar 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

>1. Are there any itemized weight stats yet for the Scarp 2, including the pole options?

On the preproduction model I have (shown in photos), the outer fly setup is ~ 37 ounces (fly, pole, 6 stakes, stuffsack). The inner is ~ 14 ounces. Don't have a solid fabric inner yet but it will be a few ounces heavier than the mesh version.

Crossing poles/pair about ` 1 lb.

> 2. Is there any way to incorporate trekking poles into this model?

Yes, actually. There are center panel pullouts–a few inches up from the center strut–that are intended to run out out to a trekking/ski pole/ski etc. for additional canopy support. You can just make it out in the photos (and it also exists on the Scarp 1). They are especially useful for high winds when using the Scarp 2 without crossing poles.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
Loading...