Topic

New GG Gorilla Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New GG Gorilla Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Used my Gorilla pack recently, for a 3 day weekend trip. Carry weight was approx.22 lbs. This pack hugged my back very well, and was very comfortable too.

The wide shoulder straps helped spread the load evenly onto my shoulders. Sit-pad was comfortable against my back and anchored very well into my lumbar. (no slippage)

Hip-belt, was very supported and comfortable as well. Love the hip-belt and shoulder strap pockets too. 20oz Gator-Aid water bottles fit well into the mesh side pockets, and were easy to remove, and replace while wearing the pack.

I honestly can't think of anything I'd change about this pack, other than making the back panel with the same fabric as the rest of the pack.
    For some reason the back panel is sil-nylon, and this is where the Aluminum stay rod, is placed against? Long term, I could see the stay wearing a hole through the fabric, especially at the stay ends?

Destined to be one of my favorite pack's for sub-25lb loads

John Tyberg

@jtyberg

Locale: Southern California

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I'm trying to decide on a pack for the JMT this August. I have a Bearvault500 and want to be able to put it inside the pack rather than have it lashed to the top. Is the Gorilla wide enough for this?

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I just received a GG Gorilla and loaded it up with my lightest base summer gear (9 lbs), and then some water and other stuff to bring the weight up to 14 lbs. The frame stay is removable, but it works so well that I'll probably leave it in all of the time. I was very surprised and impressed that the stay was bent to curve to my back perfectly, although being aluminum, that's adjustable (an advantage over the straight carbon fiber stay in the ULA Ohm). The Gorilla is made of a heavier material than the other GG packs, but it's not as durable as the Dyneema grid used by most other manufacturers. The only minor comfort issues I had were the wide shoulder straps rubbing my neck, and I prefer the pack pad-less, so I don't use the included back pad. Trimming back the removable foam inside the shoulder straps near the neck should remedy the shoulder strap issue. The pack shipped 40 minutes after I ordered it!

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

Glad you enjoy it! Check out this post about slimming pack straps by using pipe foam: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=24968&nid=205755&print=1

I have heard of several successes using this method.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Question similar to John's – how will it handle a Bearikade Weekender? Also prefer to carry inside instead of on top. Perhaps this would only work with the volume of the Mariposa Plus, but that seems to be made of less durable fabric that could wear at the edges of the Weekender.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"less durable fabric that could wear at the edges of the Weekender."

E J,
    When I packed a Weekender in my Ohm I nested into the sleeping gear at the bottom, then stuffed around it, then padded 3/4 of the top edge with my R1 Hoody.

There wasn't any place where Canister-PackCloth-Rock contact could occur. Everything was padded, especially the top edge of the canister. The pack fabric was taunt, but I never had a problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools