Topic

New GG Gorilla Pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New GG Gorilla Pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    George Phoenix

@perrito

Locale: Joisey

The specs below where you make the size selection say that the small is for torsos of 13"-17".

I am also interested in getting this model for my kids. I'd be interested in opinions from others that do the same. Great looking pack.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

If there is going to be a gorilla with narrow shoulder straps available before summer, I may have to return the Gorilla I've been trying out for the last week and wait as well, I'm fairly broad-shouldered, and I've been wearing the pack around my apt. for a week now trying to decide if they will chafe or not. I'm not sure I can keep them simultaneously far enough away from my neck but in close enough that they don't chafe when I swing my arms. I'm also not sure if the curved stay will be able to replace load-lifters in my case. I did wear it with stays out last night and it did carry quite comfortably. I've been carry ~18-22 lbs while testing.

Actually, the main trouble I've been having is figuring out how to pack it; I'm new to this kind of pack, and I'm having trouble finding the right combination of weight distribution while packing it so nothing is poking me in the back. My Bearvault 350/400 solo is almost too short of the top straps to hold it securely. (If I keep it, I'll likely attach omni-tape to each.) For now it fits inside the pack sideways at the top. I cut my z-lite pad into 2 parts and use 2 section for the back pad and the rest burruto style in the pack body. The way I've been packing, it's gone sleeping bag loose at the bottom. Stuff sack with clothes and sack with stove, 1st aid, fuel cannister, etc next level, TT Rainbow minus poles, then 2L Platypus on its side, with the bear can on top. Rain jacket, insulation, tent poles, etc in the outside pockets. Plenty of room.

with this arrangement I end up with about 50% of my pack weight – bear can (5-7 lbs) and platypus (3-4 lbs) – at my shoulder blades or above. Is that bad?

I really want this to be my pack, but there are some minor comfort issues so far that I need to see if it's my inexperience with adjusting/packing or if it just doesn't fit my body comfortably. I have an Ohm that will hopefully ship tomorrow and arrive on Tuesday for comparison. Otherwise, the Osprey Exos 46 felt really good loaded up at REI. It's a good 10 oz heavier (minus the lid) and way more space than I need, but 10 oz vs good fit is an easy decision.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

Hmm, seems as if some like the wide straps and some do not? I just ordered a Gorilla as well. One trick I did with my old Mariposa was to use 3/8" blue foam for the shoulder strap inserts.
    Seems like they're a tad softer than the inserts that come with the pack. I also, cut scallops, in the blue foam inserts in the neck area. Made a big difference, I also like to cut the pads long enough, to fill the entire shoulder strap sleeve. This also made the straps more comfortable for me. Might not work well for everyone though, but it was a big improvement for me.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I did notice as well the that shoulder strap foam didn't fill the whole strap. I have some extra blue foam, so I'll try that tonight. I also used a piece of blue foam slipped in the bottom pad pocket, in front of my z-lite. I'm not sure how much I like the feeling of the egg-crate pattern on my back, and having that extra 3/8" on the bottom will I hope push the bottom of the pack out slightly and keep the top closer to my shoulders. I'm still playing with fit, but so far I've found that in order to snug the pack to my shoulders, I am pulling the straps so tight that it's possible to take a deep breath but a little too snug when I do so.

Grant Sible

@grantsible

Hi all,
    One way to narrow the shoulder straps is to put 1 1/2" black foam pipe insulation in the strap instead of the flat foam we ship with it. This make the straps taller and therefore narrower and pretty cushy.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

-Michael

Re:
    Hi William,

…I'm have a 35-36" waist/pant size and ordered the medium hip-belt, as they show the medium to top out at 35"-36", and the large starts at 36" and tops out at 42"…

My waist measure is same as yours. I ordered a Mariposa Plus in Nov. (an '08 model), and like you, went with the med. hip belt.

However, when I tried it on, (top of hips, same as you mentioned you wear) I found that the padding didn't completely wrap the front of my pelvic bone/hips.

I returned for the Large belt…it fits perfectly – padding comes fully around the bone in front preventing the webbing strap from digging in…and still plenty of space avail. to adjust/tighten the belt.

Kent

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Hi Kent,

Thanks for this info, I just ordered a large belt, but, I don't plan to use the Gorilla within the next few weeks, so no problem.

How thick is your pad that you put into the pad pocket? I like to use a cut down Z-rest, that is only then 4 sections long, and maybe 1-1/2 thick?
    The thinner the pad you put into the back pocket, the larger the belt will fit.
    I've tried full length, folded, Z-rests in my old Mariposa, and this really reduced the size of the hip-belt, which was then less comfortable. This also puts the pack further out and away from your back, which doesn't allow the pack to carry properly.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Wow, I received my Gorilla pack today, and IMHO, its one of the best packs G.G. has made to date. Fabric is thick and seems very tough. Medium size hip-belt is just slightly small for me,(35-36" waist) but is still comfortable.
    Medium size pack, fits my 19.5" perfectly, giving me just the right amount of wrap, over my shoulders. Updated mesh back panel pocket is double layered, with two different types of mesh.
    The removable hip-belt wraps completely around my hips, and is a big improvement compared to the old design, where they attached at the sides of the pack and were non-removable.
    Aluminum stay, seems to match my back very well, with no hard contact points. Hip-belt and shoulder strap pockets are well made and attach to the pack easily.

Nice job Gossamer Gear!

Elizabeth Camp
    BPL Member

@scamp_80

Locale: Portland, Oregon

Michael & James-
    I'd be very interested to know how you would compare & contrast the Ohm with the Gorilla. I'm seriously considering both packs. Please let us know how these two packs stack up. I'd be particularly interested in how these two packs stack up when carrying loads near the upper end of their capacity (~30 lbs.)
    Best,
    EHC

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Hi Liz,

Maybe some others here could comment on this. For me personally, and cause I'm such a Gear Freak, I would probably switch to another one of my packs, when my load starts to get close to the 24-28lb mark? The Circuit for one, or my G.G. Nimbus Ozone? For me, there's a fine line on comfort, so I'd rather carry a slightly heavier pack, when I know that I'm going to be carrying 30lb+ loads. Everyone's different though too, on what their definition of carry comfort will be.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Here's some pictures of both packs. The weight is ~22lbs and it is packed with about what you'll find in the gear list in my profile, except that I used socks and some free weights in my bear can to simulate the weight of a higher food load(4-5 days worth) for the longest possible trip I might take this year. First the Ohm, size medium.ohmsideOhmbackOhmbackOhmbackOhmback

Now the Gorilla.
    gorilla back
    gorilla side
    gorilla front

Now, I'm a newbie, so read my comments with that in mind. User error is as likely at this point as a real problem with the product. These are my very initial thought after home only use. I still need to play with them more.

If the Gorilla had load-lifters, it'd be a perfect pack. If the Ohm and a slightly more robust hip belt and some way of slightly ventilating your back, it'd be a perfect pack. Both fabrics seem very durable.

The Gorilla shoulder straps are wide, but not too much of a problem for me after I followed Grant's suggestion above. Really, if the Gorilla had load lifters to just tweak the shoulder strap carry ever so slightly, this would not be a contest. I did notice tonight for the 1st time that I felt some contact between my shoulder blades and the stay where it crossed them. That could be a problem.

The hip belt on the Ohm digs into my stomach somewhat when tightened, due to the shortness of the padded part. Also, while the load lifters work well, the shoulder straps themselves don't seem as contoured to my body as those on the Gorilla. It may just take more tweaking to get them locked in. Those two things aside, I like the carry of the Ohm better.

I only took the Ohm up to the 22lbs mentioned. I have taken the Gorilla to 25, 27 and 32lbs. My feeling is that if you are going to be exceeding 25lbs on a regular basis, it might be best to look for another pack for those loads. If only occasionally, like at the beginning of a trip, the Gorilla will be just fine. The Gorilla can certainly handle them without major discomfort, but I agree with Michael that the added pack weight would be worth the increase in comfort.

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

James, I'm not an expert pack fitter, so hopefully others will chime in. But the ohm looks significantly too small for you. Look how much higher the shoulder straps are on the gorilla than the ohm. Both packs look a little high on your waist but it's hard to tell from the pictures.

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Nia,

I think both in fact may be too small, despite the fact that I have an ~20" torso, (REI measured it at 19", my girlfriend at 20") which is at the high end of medium. I was discussing this on another thread with Denis and Lynn. It may just be a matter of me getting them strapped on correctly. The hip belts were probably a bit high in those pictures, as I had been experimenting with different positions. I may have to determine which of these I like best and then order the large in the one I choose. I should have just done this from the beginning, as I always seem to end up between sizes, but I was trying to save myself from 2 guaranteed returns. From what I gather, it's better to go a bit too big than too small.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

James,

Here's a quick (albeit blinding) shot of the Gorilla I posted a while back. It is a size large and i have a 21.5" Torso. Fits me like a glove:

Gorilla first shot

Haven't had any time to test it out or really load it up, that's actually a WM bag stuffed in it to expand it all to full capacity (minus the extension collar). For reference, i'm 6'2" 190#. I ordered a Large with a Medium Belt.

– Dana

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

I've gone both ways on fit with these types of packs, from having the shoulder strap anchor points level with my shoulders, or at a couple of inches below them. (the V point well below the "big bump" in the Neck/Spine)

I'm finding that the packs actually carry better with the anchor points slightly lower than my shoulders, so the straps then wrap up and over the shoulders.

Of course weight plays a factor, more weight will make the pack ride lower thus slightly lowering the anchor point, versus less weight, will make it ride higher.

My Mariposa plus was a large, and my Gorilla is a medium, I like the fit of the medium better. Perhaps, they've changed the angle position of the straps as well, seems like they have,when compared to my 2005/2006 model Mariposa.

I'm waiting for a medium Ohm to compare against my large. The large Ohm's anchor points are level with, to maybe an inch below my shoulder crest.
    The only problem is I would still need a large belt, but ULA will sew a large hip-belt onto a medium pack, you just have to wait a bit longer for it.

David Ure

@familyguy

James, based on the pictures, the Ohm torso size is too short for you. You need a long. This will have too benefits – one – the shoulder straps will be effectively longer because they are attached higher and the belt is 2" longer. Both will add substantially to the comfort you seek.

Dana S
    BPL Member

@naman919

Locale: Richmond, Virginia

Michael,

Loaded up a bit, the straps are about even with my shoulders. In the picture above it "appears" they're higher, but again, it was only loaded with about 2-3#. I have put in about #15 (average base + food) but didn't take a snap shot.

I think if the strap position was any lower over the shoulder (when loaded with 15-20#) then load lifters would be required. I think they are in a great position, for my torso at least.

– Dana

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

I must just be wearing the Ohm and Gorilla incorrectly in the pictures. I went to REI on my lunch hour and had their expert pack guy measure my torso; he got 18.25". I tried on a large and a medium Osprey Exos 46, another pack I am considering, and he said the large was way to big. Granted these are 3 different makers, but it's hard to believe with a 18.25" torso, I need to go up to a large. More experimenting with the other two tonight.

David Ure

@familyguy

It just looks like the shoulder straps are too low but it might be the angle of the picture. How does it feel? Which, of course is most important. I would be interested in seeing where the shoulder strap buckles are in viewing from the front.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

The medium Gorilla fits my 19.5" torso beautifully. One thing I've found with packing, is to keep your load high and as close to the inside of back panel as possible. This will push the pack against your back, and keep it from pulling back on you. Some may find just the opposite, but this always works well for me, every time.
    I also don't care for bladder sleeves and when I use my 1.8L platty, I always pack it last on top and sideways across the pack, and against the back panel.
    I usually pack my food on top being it the heaviest load. This might go against what is recommended, but I go with what works, or feels the best for me.
    I'd probably agree that the Ohm would carry more weight better than the Gorilla, although the wide straps on the Gorilla are very comfortable for me. It would be a close match-up though?
    Also, I feel the Gorilla would keep your back cooler than the Ohm. The Gorilla with its mesh back-panel pocket, with sit-pad inserted, fits snugly into my lumbar region. The convoluted surface of the pad, should aid in keeping your back cooler too.

David Ure

@familyguy

Michael – what size OHM do you have? I am 19.5 as well but went with the Large – fits really well. I am trying to understand the Gorilla fit a little better. Thanks,

Jim MacDiarmid
    BPL Member

@jrmacd

Michael,

The mesh back panel + pad are the big thing that drew me to the Gorilla. It certianly seems like the egg-crate surface of my z-lite would keep my back cooler than that dynema only back of the Ohm. I find I can only do two panels of my z-lite in there though. 4 panels, folded over, make it a little too thick. I find the bottom of the pad to kinds of rub against my back uncomfortably.

I pack it similar to you. z-lite burrito-style inside, sleeping bag unstuffed in the bottom third, misc. stuff sack, clothes, fuel cannister the next layer, 2L platypus sideways next to my back, TT Rainbow minus poles next to it against the back of the pack. Bear cannister on top using the straps. I make sure it has a forward lean when strapped in for balance. It's top heavy, but I'm not sure how else to do it.

I'll try to take better pictures tonight. Really, if Michael with his 19.5" torso fits fine in the medium, my 18.25" should be fine. It has to be user error if it doesn't fit.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Hi David,

I have the large Ohm. I ordered a medium just to compare the two. I haven't received it yet, and it may possibly be a few more weeks until it arrives?

I'd say that the large Ohm will most likely be the size that I'll keep, the hip-belt fits very well, but I feel the shoulder straps anchor point could be 1-1-1/2" lower.

I did a 16lb comparison test, first loading and wearing the Gorilla, then the Ohm, for me, the initial feel of the Ohm is better than that of the Gorilla. But, for low weight(20lb) trips, I think it would be a wash between the two.

The Gorilla's shoulder straps are a good 1/2" wider than the Ohm,and super comfy, and like I mentioned before, the wrap around hip-belt is very comfy as well. It pulls the pack nicely into my lumbar region, and rests here nicely,(no sliding) with great comfort as well.

Please note: that these are all just my personal first impressions and I have not used either pack yet. I did have an older model Mariposa Plus, and that pack carried 18-22lbs like it was hardly even there.

So, I have no doubts that either one of these packs would be a poor choice for anyone wanting to buy a lightweight pack, for carrying loads upwards of 26lbs in "comfort", which I believe is most important.

David Ure

@familyguy

"I'd say that the large Ohm will most likely be the size that I'll keep, the hip-belt fits very well, but I feel the shoulder straps anchor point could be 1-1-1/2" lower."

This is the same size that I have and in fact, I have the same feeling about the shoulder anchor straps. I think I might be between sizes. Certainly let us know about the medium. Thanks,

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Yep, will do!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools