Topic

Starting Again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Starting Again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

"Good luck with your research — my recommendation would be to spend very little at first, then spend a whole lot more for a very nice setup once you gain more experience. And keep your first "cheap" rod and reel as a backup, or as the start of your eventual huge collection."

Couldn't have said it better myself! Keep in mind where you'll be fishing, as well.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Hey Jonathan,
    I also started on a $30 outfit and it was a complete mess IMO. Only after upgrading to "Decent" gear did I realize why I was having such a hard time learning. It's just makes things so much easier and I began to actually enjoy it. True, over a certain price range things just become cosmetic or art, but just speaking of rods there is a huge performance and functionality gap in in that low price range. (Up to $250 maybe?) Start right and it will be a lot better. Plus, you'll have better resale value if you decide it's not for you or you want to upgrade. But like others have said, don't go too high at first as if you do like it – You will likely change your mind about what you want later.

I like this (The outfit) and think it would suit your needs well, and seems to be in your price range. Of course, if you want to spend more, you could get more. Just get some flies, spare tippet material, extra leaders, some floatant, maybe some split shot…You're good to start.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=8189&dir_id=758&group_id=759&cat_id=5978&subcat_id=7309

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Thanks to you all…I appreciate that you take the time to share information with me.

Any other direct reference for me? I am planning on buying by the end of the month. I have found a few reels and a couple of rods that are appealing to me. I am going to try to get in touch with my one old friend that might have some insight into local fly fishing. I would like to be in the water as soon as possible. Any other comments, stories, gear list suggestions or general information is still very welcome.

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

Assuming you're getting a fly rod for backpacking, I would highly recommend a 4-piece St. Croix, probably run you $130 tops. Get a 6 or 7 weight.

Get a cheap reel, you really only need it to store line. So a Pfleuger Medalist is just fine, goes about $25 at Cabela's. If you get a #1494 for a 6-wt rod, you won't need backing.

Get a spare spool with it, $13.

I use Cortland lines for freshwater. One weight-forward floater and one sinking-tip, sink speed medium. Their 333 series work very well, $30 each.

Leaders- I tie my own, but when I buy them, I prefer Climax. Get a couple at $4 ea. I like to have some tippet material on hand, also about $4. As you change flies, you lose the fine end of the leader a few inches at a time. Learn the proper knot for adding tippet. If you're diligent, you can fish the same leader all season, but mark my words: if you don't have a spare you'll regret it!

So, let's see, Taylor's recommendations: $130 rod, $25 reel, $13 extra spool, $60 in lines, $12 in leaders and tippet:

$240 ready-to-fish, just add flies.

Then, when you have about $300 or more, you can pick up a sweet 2-pc, and use the same reel and lines.

Hope this helps!

-T

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

Ooh I just checked out Aaron's recommendation for the Orvis package, and that looks really good to me. I'd still strongly urge you to get a spare spool and a float/sink (sinking-tip) line- the vast majority of the time, fishing flies wet is the best way to go. All the aquatic insects hatch out in the stream and either swim to the top and hatch on the surface, before flying away, or they crawl the edge of the stream to hatch. MOST OF THEIR LIVES ARE SPENT UNDERWATER. A full-sink line can be a real bear to manage, and a floating line with a sinking tip is quite easy to handle.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools