Topic

Tarptent Hogback

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Robert Richey BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 8:19 pm

This is going to blow my cover as an ongoing Backpacker mag subscriber (I am so ashamed), but the issue that just came out lists the 4-person Tarptent Hogback as part of Henry's line-up. Specs are 90 x 104 x 49 in. Weight is 3-10. Price $395. Probably won't see this on the website for awhile; beta testers sworn to silence. Not that I'm curious.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Hmm..well, we had to submit the specs back in September and it was a different product concept then (SW). The final one is DW with more flexible setup and use, but also a bit heavier (~4lb,1oz). 51 sq ft of fully usable floorspace with lots of headroom; all 4 people can sit up without touching anything). The other news is that price will be lower than original estimate. Website photos next month, release in April.

-H

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 10:06 pm

That's really heavy! What is going on? …..wait a minute. 1 pound per person? Double walled?

Henry, I think you are going to need a bigger factory (my kids are going to love this one) to meet demand.

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Oh…I'm a "beta tester" and sworn to silence. But I can say that it looks really cool…really, really cool. Wish I could share more, but I can share my excitement.

Imagine just over 4 pounds, double wall with small vestibules, space for 4 adults. From my perspective, this is potentially the ultimate family backpacking tent. All usable space. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Sorry- I know this is horribly vague information!

dj

Jeremy G BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 9:00 am

I thought you might be a beta tester Doug! I could tell you were holding back anytime the thread came up about the family tarptent!!!

I am anxiously waiting for this… glad to hear the price will be less than the $395, that seems a bit much for Mr. Shires to put on one of his tents, but anyway you look at it, I'm sure it will be worth it.

I'll be curious to hear why he decided to go with a double wall… I'm sure there are some good reasons for it.

Sounds great so far!!

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 9:31 am

Jeremy,

I'm really curious about the double wall too! Look for a full review in the spring.

Best, Doug

PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:12 am

'Spring' – Vernal Equinox – March 21st ?

Or just "Real Soon Now…" ?

Or, 'Before Summer' ?

;-)

Brad Rogers BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:23 am

Maybe he went with a double wall because there are some places where single wall tents just don't work well.

Jeremy G BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:34 am

Hopefully with the double wall, he will make it so that you could also use it as a single wall. I'm sure he has thought of this… Best as I can tell with the Scarp 1, his other DW, the interior "wall" just clips to the shell of the exterior wall. I would expect this one to be the same way.

I wonder if it will have the same shape as a Scarp, or if it will be more of a pyramid style? My guess is that it will be more like the Scarp due to that there are others that already make the pyramid style double wall family tent.

Personally, I'm hoping to see it and assuming I like, have it shipped to me by Memorial Weekend…

PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:54 am

>the interior "wall" just clips to the shell of the exterior wall. I would expect this one to be the same way.

Yes, that's the way it works. You can use the fly separately.

-H

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Before summer likely.

Not a pyramid. More in the theme of the Scarp.

I better shut up before Henry cuts me off!!!

PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 8:55 pm

> I better shut up before Henry cuts me off!!!

No problem Doug. Cover is blown anyway. I had completely forgotten about the Backpacker Gear Guide.

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Whew! The last thing I'd want is to get Henry Shires mad at me. Have you ever seen what this guy can do with a sheet of silnylon and a couple of aluminum poles…it's DANGEROUS!

Thanks Henry!

Tom Caldwell BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 5:31 am

I've found a picture of it.

Arkansas Razorback

How about a special red edition for us tarptenting Arkansas Razorbacks?

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 6:21 am

Brett- who is the source of you info? Henry is going to freak out on that guy!

Yes- it's the same, except constructed with silnylon, titanium stakes, and dental floss guylines. This brings the weight from 27 pounds to the 4 pound Hogback. Amazing what modern materials can do!

;-)

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 27, 2009 at 8:51 am

You don't need a Razorback tent, especially when you guys have those "cool" razorback hats………

Jeremy G BPL Member
PostedMar 8, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Pictures now available, but no price yet… based on what I had heard through the rumor mill, I was expecting something like a large scarp… pretty much right on.

Here’s the link.

Tarptent Hogback

Now we just wait and see on the price. Thanks for the teaser!!

I have a used contrail on it’s way to me that I picked up on Gear Swap, so that will be first tarptent. I can’t wait to hear some more feedback on the Hogback. I may have to put it on my christmas list since I used up some of my savings on the contrail. I just couldn’t resist…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
Loading...