Topic

Another Golite Pinnacle Question – Doug Johnson*

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Yes – sorry full of questions.

To Pinnacle owners, what kind of base weight are you using with this pack?

*To the reviewers of the pack on BPL (i.e. Doug Johnson), why is the Pinnacle rated to 30 pounds and the Jam 2 to 20 pounds. Do the load lifters make the difference? Curious and confused. Thanks,

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I used mine with about 35 last weekend, and I think that was too much. I could feel it bend in the middle. The load lifters really help though.

PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 7:26 pm

does anybody have a pic of the palm green.. I just want to see how ugly it actually is thats making it be on sell everywhere.

John Brochu BPL Member
PostedFeb 25, 2009 at 8:09 pm

pinnacle

I actually bought the palm green Pinnacle to use for a winter backpack but I haven't used it yet. However, I think it's actually nice looking.

John Myers BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 6:45 am

David,
My experience is that the pinnacle has the volume and can physically carry more than 30 pounds, but comfort certainly suffers for it. I've had mine loaded over 30 (extra food and water) and it became quite uncomfortable after a few hours. The framesheet will deflect and then not transfer the load to the hipbelt. The load lifters and the side compression straps help minimize that effect, but I personally would not take this pack if I have those conditions again.

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 7:05 am

Hi David,

I didn't complete the review of the Jam so I can't comment on that. What I can say is that I found it reasonably comfortable to carry 30 pounds with the Pinnacle (although I typically carry less). The load lifters do make a big difference in transferring weight to the shoulders, making heavier loads more comfortable.

I've never had the issue of the pack collapsing. I use the compression straps to make it as solid as possible when pushing the weight limit.

BTW- this is my winter and mountaineering pack. I use it on every trip in this category. When doing family backpacks, my wife uses her Pinnacle to carry large low-weight loads while I carry our son and high-density gear in the baby backpacking. We both love the Pinnacle.

Best,
Doug

Joe Clement BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 7:18 am

I should say that I was so busy b*tching about the trail work we were doing that it never crossed my mind to tighten the compression straps.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 8:57 am

I think Doug's comment "The load lifters do make a big difference in transferring weight to the shoulders…" is telling. The intention of load lifters is more the opposite–to lift the load off your shoulders and transfer the weight instead to your hips. With the minimal support of a pack like the Pinnacle you don't get that weight transfer to your hips. I won't argue that you aren't shifting weight around, just that it's not shifting weight as effectively (or, arguably, as intended) for larger, bulkier, heavier loads…

PostedFeb 26, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I wouldn't carry more than 25# in mine. It does fine at 20# or below. Beware the durability of the pack too. One of my straps pulled loose on the first use. I've since had all the strap attachments to the pack reinforced.
Tim

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Loading...