Topic

Ray Jardine’s Trail Life Now Available at BackpackingLight.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info Ray Jardine’s Trail Life Now Available at BackpackingLight.com

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Trail Life by Ray JardineRay Jardine's update to "Beyond Backpacking" – "Trail Life" is now in the SHOP.

Where "Beyond Backpacking", Jardine's second iteration of the lightweight backpacking topic, was thought to be tainted with a few speculative claims that sent his credibility sailing with a few among the lightweight backpacking community, it was an important work nonetheless for popularizing the lightweight philosophy to a wider audience and inspiring so many of us to try his crazy ideas – most of which, I have to say, work fabulously. "Trail Life", the newest iteration, provides a more honest assessment of lightweight backpacking techniques and thus has the potential to be an even bigger hit with his fans, as well as bringing in new ones who come to endorse the "Ray-Way".

This is a big (10" x 10"), beautiful, full-color book, and certainly worthy of a spot on your shelf. I'm really enjoying reading it, and watching Jardine's style of practicing, and writing about, lightweight backpacking evolve over time. He even has good things to say about free standing dome tents :)

Check it out!

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Wow, Glad to see this.
    There was nothing so sad as all those years people acted like he almost didnt exists, when frankly I dont think this site would exist without his books.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

I just ordered a copy, and am looking forward to see what's new.

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

received my copy, can't wait to find time to read it between studies.

Mark McLauchlin
    BPL Member

@markmclauchlin

Locale: Western Australia

Hi all,

My first post as a BPL member :)

I have just completed reading Ray's book and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it is very repetitive and yes some of his ideas are not for the novice but nevertheless I enjoyed it.

Its one of those books you read and take out the parts that will provide you with the most benefit. For me this was Rays theorys on the use or a Quilt (I have just completed this project) and his theory on foot wear. Shoes have always been my preference over boots.

Perhaps a review is on the cards?

Cheers
    Mark

Sid Gautama

@sgautama

There is a review of this book on Backpackbasecamp.com
    http://www.backpackbasecamp.com/Reviews/Book_Trail_Life.html

and also on Amazon.

I read the book and was very disappointed. It is just extracts from his older versions of the same book (Beyond BP and PCT guide). The information is out dated and he still comes across like a nut.

Sid.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Just got my copy in the mail today from BPL-Nice!!!!!

Jared Cook

@rooinater

some of us haven't had the luxury of reading his older books. since by the time I started looking for beyond backpacking it was out of print and I wasn't paying the amount that people wanted to sell them. I saw it as a useful guide to pick and choose a few new methods for my hiking and it filled in a few gaps in my knowledge base. it's someone else's point of view which you can accept as a whole, cherry pick ideas from or just pass off as something you don't need. personally it's helped me fill in some gaps in my knowledge base and has showed me a few techniques which have motivated me to feel more comfortable with taking longer distances.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jared, your library probably has a copy of the older books- I never bought the original but I checked it out and read it before it became a big deal. I even checked it out later to review it. There are other great Lightweight Backing book in the library. go check one out!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I'm probably going to get murdered for posting this, but I am truly looking for some info/explanation. I'm curious as to what he could put in this book that would make it so useful. Is it geared towards people who have not experimented with UL backpacking, towards a seasoned veteran, or both? Summer and winter skills? pertains to various environments (ie. flatlands, mountains, etc.)?
    I'd grab a copy, but I am having a hard time thinking of what he could put in the book that would make me feel it was worth the purchase. In other words, I don't want to be reading a book about how carrying a tarp is lighter and use a leaf to wipe your butt…is there really that much more to it?

Jared Cook

@rooinater

nope, just some of his methods. nothing that would be considered completely revolutionary or a 100% unique to todays standards. maybe in the earlier printings.

If I were to go to my "local" library I'd be driving 20 miles plus… then have to get a card, i like to put books in my own personal library when it pertains to hiking. I have the BPL book and the lighten up book and a couple others along with multiple trail guides. I like reading on other people's opinions and ideas towards a topic and always have it to reflect back on. In turn reading other's ideas spikes more than one angle to look at things and problem solve along the way. I've learned some from his book. it just filled in some gaps with some decent ideas for a backpacker that has only been at it a couple years and didn't have the luxury of growing up in a backpacking family or environment.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hi Jared,
    Thanks for the great response. I too enjoy reading about others…both their trips and their techniques. Just wasn't sure what was in the book.
    I'll probably pick up a copy as I haven't read his earlier stuff either.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools