Topic

Need a versatile 2 person tent: Hubba Hubba HP or?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Hi BPLers. I am looking for a 2 person double wall tent. I will unlikely be in extreme weather. I want something relatively light that will be good for backpacking and cycle touring either solo or with a friend. I like the idea of two doors but am not attached to it. I want a free-standing tent in case I will be using it on sand or rocks. I can get any MSR tent for 50% off. So I have been looking at the Hubba Hubba HP. Are there any other contenders that I should be looking at that will outweigh the discount I can get? This will be my only tent purchase in a number of years so I want to make sure I get something great quality that I will be happy with.

Thanks for any tips!

PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I wouldn't call the Hubba HP versatile… would be extremely hot in summer in many places. I would want a 100% mesh inner for a 3 season tent.

Most BPLers prefer single-wall tents, but if you really want a double wall then check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse line. More spacious than the Hubba Hubba I believe.

Tarptent is likely to shortly be producing a Scarp 2 — two person, double wall tent. You can see the current Scarp 1 on their website.

PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I did also look at the Hubba Hubba because it had a lot more mesh and thought it would be better for the summer but read that sand blows in very easily and it is not at waterproof. I will be doing a lot of camping in the Pacific Northwest, so I want something that holds up well in the rain. I can get the Hubba Hubba HP for $225 and the Hubba Hubba for $150.

The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 looks like a good tent but it would be at least $250.

I have never used a single wall tent before. I have seen people post about condensation issues with these.

Thanks!

Doug Johnson BPL Member
PostedFeb 7, 2009 at 11:34 pm

We have reviews on this site of both the Seedhouse and Hubba Hubba tents and I've had both.

The Hubba Hubba is much more spacious than a Seedhouse 2. The mesh Hubba Hubba will be a better 3 season tent, while the HP version will be better in colder weather.

Condensation can be an issue with single wall tents, but it is avoidable. Members can find a great deal of information and reviews regarding single wall tents and condensation management on the site.

That said, the Hubba Hubba is a great lightweight tent and one of my favorites. Although I stick to single wall tents these days, that tent was one of my double wall favorites.

The MSR Carbon Reflex 2 is basically an ultralight Hubba Hubba- might be worth a look…

If you get curious about single wall tents, Tarptent and Six Moon Designs are great places to start looking.

Best of luck!
Doug

PostedFeb 8, 2009 at 12:40 am

I have a Hubba Hubba and it works well for two people. I consider it a little heavy for solo use. I would disagree with the waterproof statement, not sure where you heard that. My buddy and I bought it to use together and it's a very good tent. For $150 it's a steal. You won't be disappointed in that tent for two person use. I would suggest something a little lighter for solo use though. I just bought a Tarptent contrail for that purpose (single wall though). If you can deal with a single wall then a two person tarptent like the double rainbow will net you a little weight savings. There are some that use it solo.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...