Topic

Short and wide inflatable pad?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Short and wide inflatable pad?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was wondering if there was an inflatable pad out there that is both wide and short. Being about 6'5", 230#s and a side sleeper I usually tend to roll off the 19-20" ones if I turn in my sleep and it seems the ones that are 25" in width only come in the 72" or longer category. I know Exped used to make some Downmats that were like this but it seems no longer. Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I gave up looking. I contacted exped and thermarest, no plans for producing any either. Sucks for us.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

If you do find one, I bet Chad Miller, a member here, would probably like to know about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Why is most of this stuff made for midgets?

JT Croteau

@tobit

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains

"Why is mos of this stuff made for midgets?"

Because, although there may appear to be a lot of us big folks, the market for big folks is actually quite small. :(

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yet the market for really small people, XS, seems to be pretty big or they can slip into kids items. Dang.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Less than 3% of the worldwide population is over 6' tall. Something like 2% wear a size 12 shoe or larger. We are freaks, just remember we are big freaks. So be nice.

William Puckett

@beep

Locale: Land of 11, 842 lakes

Darn! I thought it was just that the world was short!!!

(walks away humming "Short People"…)

Tim F
    BPL Member

@kneebyter

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)

Sorry Brett, don't think it exists. I've been looking for over a year. Looks like a niche market opportunity for someone! ;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

The thread wasn't meant to be rude against short people but it would be nice if some of the outdoor companies would acknowledge that people about 6' do exist, especially in this country.

Oh well, back to the GG 3/4 Nightlight and some extra pads for the hip and shoulder.

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Don't know if this make a difference for you or not but Exped Downmats are actually 22 inches wide.

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

Maybe this will help from a 6'6" guy.

Rumor has it Gossamer Gear is switching the foam they use for their pads which will allow them to cut it in nearly any size. They are also going to offer tall packs. Having used their foam in winter, it is "good enough" for even fairly cold temperatures and you can double-up on it for more warmth. The down mats, inflatables, etc., are all heavier, more expensive, and are not the right size. Consider GG's closed foam as an option.

Talk with Grant to get the specifics. I'm not saying it's gospel and I don't have an exact date, but these things were mentioned to me personally by GG.

L J Moloney

@ljmoloney

Oware (http://www.owareusa.com/) has a Foam Sleeping pad 40x60x3/16" its not inflatable and its thin at 3/16 but it is 40 wide and an r value of .689 and its only 6oz.

SANDRA GILLESPIE KRAMER

@sandykayak

Locale: South Florida

Large Therm-A-Rest is 25" wide
    http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAS0522/Therm-a-Rest-Trail-Mat-Sleeping-Pad.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=CAS0522&mv_pc=r126

Not inflatable, but perhaps you could add a similar mod to an inflatable: Speer Hammocks 2 x 2 Segmented Pad Extender with Four Wings $35

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm

sandy in miami

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Yeah, on the inflatable pads I just usually roll off when I switch from one hip to the other. I will try to give GG a call tomorrow.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

I did talk to Gossamer Gear and they said they are just making the Nightlight longer to a full size, not wider So closed cell pads that are 3/4" thick stop at 25" wide.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

the nightlite is
    listed as 19.5"

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Brett,
    Have you contacted Stephenson/Warmlite?

They customize their pads, and perhaps would do the extra width for you.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Less than 3% of the worldwide population is over 6' tall
    Is that true? wow, we are freaks.

Options:
    I bought one of these for winter camping. Nice and big, no need for ground sheet.
    CC Foam
    1/8" X 36" X 80"
    8 oz.
    http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=610

Warmlite D.A.M.
    http://www.warmlite.com/cat-web.pdf
    They will make it any length you want for a few extra bucks. Ask for the large (@ 28" wide) and specify length you want…36"..48"..they do it. I had a small @ 22" wide x 48" long DAM made for me a while back.

HTH

Nick K
    BPL Member

@nkline

Locale: Northeast U.S.

I, too, am a side sleeper and, unless I twist inside of my sleeping bag (which wakes me up), I would roll off my sleeping pad when turning over.

I have been considering making my own sleeping pad, hence this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18326&skip_to_post=141110#141110

Please list your MYOG sleeping pad project in the thread. Eventually, we could compile the information into the BPL Wiki.

Thanks,

Nick

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

What you can do is get a large thermarest and cut it short.

Make Your Own Gear: Shortening a Therm-a-Rest UltraLite Self-Inflating Pad
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/make_your_own_gear_shortening_a_therm_a_rest_pad.html

james clark

@jwfclark

Locale: Southern California

Brett,

May I recommend that you not overlook Stepenson/Warmlite.

I have utilized their down filled inflatable pad for a number of years. The bonding and material they use are first rate. And they said they would make just about any size. The down filled versions require the use of a stuff sack to inflate the pad to keep vapor from wetting the down. While these bags are not UL but are very comfortable and provide all the insulation needed. You can have additional down added if that might better address your winter needs.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I don't know if I can afford a Stephenson's though. Not the cheapest.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools