Topic

Short and wide inflatable pad?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 8:49 am

I was wondering if there was an inflatable pad out there that is both wide and short. Being about 6'5", 230#s and a side sleeper I usually tend to roll off the 19-20" ones if I turn in my sleep and it seems the ones that are 25" in width only come in the 72" or longer category. I know Exped used to make some Downmats that were like this but it seems no longer. Thanks.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJan 22, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I gave up looking. I contacted exped and thermarest, no plans for producing any either. Sucks for us.

PostedJan 22, 2009 at 5:38 pm

If you do find one, I bet Chad Miller, a member here, would probably like to know about it.

PostedJan 23, 2009 at 1:27 pm

"Why is mos of this stuff made for midgets?"

Because, although there may appear to be a lot of us big folks, the market for big folks is actually quite small. :(

PostedJan 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Yet the market for really small people, XS, seems to be pretty big or they can slip into kids items. Dang.

Ken Thompson BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Less than 3% of the worldwide population is over 6' tall. Something like 2% wear a size 12 shoe or larger. We are freaks, just remember we are big freaks. So be nice.

PostedJan 23, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Darn! I thought it was just that the world was short!!!

(walks away humming "Short People"…)

Tim F BPL Member
PostedJan 23, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Sorry Brett, don't think it exists. I've been looking for over a year. Looks like a niche market opportunity for someone! ;-)

PostedJan 24, 2009 at 8:00 am

The thread wasn't meant to be rude against short people but it would be nice if some of the outdoor companies would acknowledge that people about 6' do exist, especially in this country.

Oh well, back to the GG 3/4 Nightlight and some extra pads for the hip and shoulder.

PostedJan 24, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Don't know if this make a difference for you or not but Exped Downmats are actually 22 inches wide.

PostedJan 24, 2009 at 1:28 pm

Maybe this will help from a 6'6" guy.

Rumor has it Gossamer Gear is switching the foam they use for their pads which will allow them to cut it in nearly any size. They are also going to offer tall packs. Having used their foam in winter, it is "good enough" for even fairly cold temperatures and you can double-up on it for more warmth. The down mats, inflatables, etc., are all heavier, more expensive, and are not the right size. Consider GG's closed foam as an option.

Talk with Grant to get the specifics. I'm not saying it's gospel and I don't have an exact date, but these things were mentioned to me personally by GG.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 28, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, on the inflatable pads I just usually roll off when I switch from one hip to the other. I will try to give GG a call tomorrow.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2009 at 6:53 am

I did talk to Gossamer Gear and they said they are just making the Nightlight longer to a full size, not wider So closed cell pads that are 3/4" thick stop at 25" wide.

PostedJan 30, 2009 at 7:35 am

Brett,
Have you contacted Stephenson/Warmlite?

They customize their pads, and perhaps would do the extra width for you.

Steven Evans BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2009 at 7:42 am

Less than 3% of the worldwide population is over 6' tall
Is that true? wow, we are freaks.

Options:
I bought one of these for winter camping. Nice and big, no need for ground sheet.
CC Foam
1/8" X 36" X 80"
8 oz.
http://www.40below.com/product_detail_public.php?ProductID=610

Warmlite D.A.M.
http://www.warmlite.com/cat-web.pdf
They will make it any length you want for a few extra bucks. Ask for the large (@ 28" wide) and specify length you want…36"..48"..they do it. I had a small @ 22" wide x 48" long DAM made for me a while back.

HTH

Nick! BPL Member
PostedJan 30, 2009 at 8:44 am

I, too, am a side sleeper and, unless I twist inside of my sleeping bag (which wakes me up), I would roll off my sleeping pad when turning over.

I have been considering making my own sleeping pad, hence this thread:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=18326&skip_to_post=141110#141110

Please list your MYOG sleeping pad project in the thread. Eventually, we could compile the information into the BPL Wiki.

Thanks,

Nick

PostedJan 30, 2009 at 11:38 am

Brett,

May I recommend that you not overlook Stepenson/Warmlite.

I have utilized their down filled inflatable pad for a number of years. The bonding and material they use are first rate. And they said they would make just about any size. The down filled versions require the use of a stuff sack to inflate the pad to keep vapor from wetting the down. While these bags are not UL but are very comfortable and provide all the insulation needed. You can have additional down added if that might better address your winter needs.

PostedJan 30, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I don't know if I can afford a Stephenson's though. Not the cheapest.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
Loading...