Topic

Misc survival gear – why do I have these?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Misc survival gear – why do I have these?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Jon Rhoderick
    BPL Member

@hotrhoddudeguy

Locale: New England

I've only read the first post of this so apologies for repeats. Space blankets really arent warm, certainly non breathable nylon is basically comparable, and if you bring it as a tarp more usable.

Compasses are useful, but I know alot of people who are never lost as long as they have a map, the sun and north start can be used to approximate direction as well, and when your suddenly cliffed out by a waterfall, I'd probably say "thank goodness I have this map" not "good thing I have a compass"

definatly bring an extra light, I've lost mine, and out of all things easy to lose, maybe a light and the last pair of gloves/socks/hat, is the worst.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Daniel, over the years, I've never had a Bic lighter fail. You're right. They are bulletproof.

However, over the years, I've found a different issue with a lighter. When I am cold my thumbs just don't work well with that little wheel. I have been wet and chilled and was unable to use my Bic lighter. Not everyone may have the same experience.

The other little thing is that I can pack my striker in luggage for a plane flight. But lighters are universally available wherever one might go.

Luke Ochsenbein

@lukeochsen

Locale: Ozarks

If you are having trouble with the wheel on bics it is easy to remove the child safety. Just slide something stout under it and pry. This makes the lighter much easier to use.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools