Topic

Titanium Whistle – tiny, loud, no reed to loose

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Titanium Whistle – tiny, loud, no reed to loose

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

I could buy one for my wife, but if I'm going to pay $95.00 for her to blow on something its not going to be a whistle. Ali

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Imagine the advantages of a titanium brain swap.

It might improve some intelligences …

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

As I read through this column, two thoughts struck me.

The first is that the colour of the whistle in the photos looks rather more like aluminium than titanium to my eyes – and I have been machining titanium for a while. Of course, the colour balance of the photos could be off a bit.

The second was to wonder whether this is some sort of post-graduate psychology study into the behaviour of titanium-mesmerised gear freaks. If so, I would ask that the contribution by BPL be acknowledged in the eventual thesis.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Roger –

OP states:

"I have used up every single one that I had by doing additional machining, surface finishing and other tests with them, so unfortunately I don’t have any finished ones left.

I do have some early aluminium prototypes left that were used for functional geometry and accoustics testing, please see photos."

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Sean, nicely said…I feel bad now. He took it well…not sure if I would have been as polite as him before signing off. I think it would have gone over much better as a MYOG project.

These ti whistles are $29
    http://www.uniquetitanium.com/images/tiwhistle3.jpg

Maybe he got his pricing from Atwood.
    http://www.atwoodknives.com/home/18753590.php

Atwood link is actually sold out – geez, maybe this guy was onto something!

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If I was a suspicious type I'd think this guy was cousin to my "Nigerian Bank Unclaimed Profits Department" contact. I gave him my personal financial info and am waiting for his wire transfer. Then it's off to my Maui retirement condo. I could use a nice $90.00 Titanium Whistle Key Fob to summon the maid. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Greg

You mean you actually read the entire posting?

Ah well, my eyes were not wrong then.

Cheers

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Roger,
    Yes, indeed. I was curious to know if the whistles had any dazzle. Alas, it seems not. Otherwise I might be tempted.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

Truth be told, we all know he would have met with a different reception had he been a contributing member of the forums here. Even if he simply linked to something offsite to explain his item for sale rather than plastering. Maybe I was slightly harsh, but I just think it wasn't very good forum etiquette on his part.

I chalk it up to poor form.

I thought it was spam and still feel that way about it.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I felt about the same way when I saw the Inka Ti pens– it was just going too far.

$85 is a bit of an eyebrow raiser….

I got some great plastic zipper-pull whistles the other day for 49 cents each: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=12

This vendor has several whistles, spy capsules, firesteels, some nice mini-biners, and Y-style tent stakes at reasonable prices. Service was good.

Jim Ford
    BPL Member

@jimford

Locale: DFW

Hmmm…if he markets it as a winter-use butt whistle, then perhaps the non-reactive properties of titanium would have been worth the inflated cost. Certainly no one would want to put their lips to a cold piece of metal in winter. And it would almost certainly be worth the $95, just for the sheer delight we could experience when lending it to our companions, as they would blow into it, and we would laugh ourselves senseless while trying to explain to them that they're doing it wrong.

"TOOT TOOT"!

Don Meredith
    Spectator

@donmeredith

Locale: SouthEast

I know I shouldn't engage but its just so funny… I'm an engineer in a machine shop and I can assure you that there are no NASA quality machining operations required to make this whistle. The original poster is correct that its a little tougher making it one piece but that's no $85 dollar whatzit.

Even MORE insane – an aluminum whistle of the same geometry is cheaper and plenty strong. This is a terrible Ti application.

With all of that said, watch this guy get rich and retire at 40 selling Ti whistles. I'll still be here making industrial power tools at a reasonable margin until I die.

Better yet – why don't we all polish up our dazzle and get into the woods and ignore this guy! See you out there (shivering)…

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"With all of that said, watch this guy get rich and retire at 40 selling Ti whistles. I'll still be here making industrial power tools at a reasonable margin until I die."

Just watch it get into REI or Patagucci and make this dude a fortune. I can see it in the shiny holiday catalogues now: "Looking for a gift for the outdoor lover that has it all?"

They can sell them right next to the Ti pens, backcountry ice cream makers, 800+ fill down dog sweaters (in this season's colors, of course), and no-foam-non-fat-soy-extra caramel latte machines.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

As a whistle, it is overpriced. Assuming he is contracting out the Ti work, $90 seems about right for buying something of this size, in a custom design, manufactured once in a very small batch.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

But seriously folks, this guy really needs an editor… It should read "no reed too loose".

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A top-notch product deserves a top-notch lanyard. I am offering the exclusive Ti-Whistle lanyards for $49.95.

Robert Bryant

@kg4fam

Locale: Upstate

To commemorate the simultaneous introduction of this product and the inauguration of President Obama I am offering a limited edition commemorative Obama protective case. Each will be individually numbered and come with a certificate of authenticity. For three easy payments of 24.95 plus processing and handling you can remember this day every time you take out your whistle. If you order in the next fifteen minutes I will throw in a free ShamWOW. But wait, during this limited introductory offer I will throw in another ShamWOW. Thats right for three easy payments of 24.95 plus P&H you get a commemorative Obama carrying case and two ShamWOWs. Hurry, these won't last long.

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

I think the OP was likely an honest guy. He was definitely spamming, which is very bad form. I don’t get why you would make a whistle from titanium anyway. If you want to be flashy then make one out of solid gold. You could cast it, instead of milling it, which would be a lot easier to make and it would have the same properties. It would also be easier to spend 90 bucks on one made of gold. You could set some diamonds in it for the ultra bling version. Still useless as a survival item. When the rescue team finds you they may take your whistle and leave you there.

I think he should contact NASA with his product. Titanium whistles work better than normal whistles in space. Plus the price tag won’t scare away NASA.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

Can't wait to get my pair of Titanium Whistles. I'm wiring the funds from the bank account I set up from the money I won from the British Lottery that randomly selected me from my e-mail address.

Woo-hoo! I win twice this week.

;')

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Actually, any decent 1970's vintage screw machine could churn these dudes out by the 100's per hour. If you really want to talk about a hard-to-machine product, we could talk about something I've been working on that is only now close to being ready–titanium toilet paper. Each sheet is .002 thin, guaranteed to stand up to anything you can throw–well, maybe that's not the right word–at it.

I think this guy got his start selling clothing to emperors.

Ah, the pleasures of a pile-on.

Ryan Nakahara

@kife42

Locale: Hawaii

it sounds to me like he wanted a titanium whistle, saw atwood's pricing, and decided to try making some extra money without making his design too similar. the problem is, atwood has a fairly large following, and this guy has none. at that price you're mostly paying for brand name, and besides this is supposed to be the gear deals forum…

anyway i will go back to lurking now. ^_^

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Vargo $9.86 on Amazon

Wonder how many were sold at the $95, yes $95 the OP was looking to get?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe this was a joke of sorts? Certainly read like one.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Every resurrected thread that is over 5 years old is a joke.

Ken got a little bored …

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You know how you get those suggested items on Amazon? Made me think of this thread as I was trying to remember what the OP was asking for them.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools