Topic

BPL Staff Clinics & Events

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support BPL.com News and Info BPL Staff Clinics & Events

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Live in Lawrence, Grew up in KC, Born in West Virginia

I assume from the interest you’re in kansas as well?

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

It was great to meet Alan, Ryan, and the other folks at Trail Days last year. I also see the DC clinic this spring. Any chance of getting a clinic in the PA/NJ area?
    Tom

Alan Dixon
    Spectator

@alandixon

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Couples Ultralight Backpacking Workshop in Washington DC Area
    Saturday, February 11, 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM
    (At REI Bailey’s Crossroads in Virginia)

Alan Dixon, Product Testing Director and Senior Review Editor for Backpacking Light and his wife Alison Simon will lead an ultralight backpacking workshop in the Washington DC area this May.

This workshop will focus on ultralight backpacking for couples with an emphasis on the techniques and gear that allow light, comfortable and safe backcountry travel. Their techniques and light-gear discussions are valuable to all backpackers, especially to women, and couples wishing to start, continue or resume backcountry hiking adventures. The techniques are equally suited to those backpacking with children.

Chances are your pack is two to three times heavier than it needs to be. Workshop leaders, Alan Dixon and Alison Simon believe most couples can travel in the backcountry with 10-15 lb packs for a three-day trip without sacrificing comfort or safety.

A wide variety of the workshop leaders’ ultralight gear will be on display and used for hands-on demonstration of ultralight techniques. Open discussion, questions, and demonstration of techniques with hands-on audience participation will constitute the much of the workshop. Due to requests from last year’s workshop there will be special sections focusing in detail on backcountry clothing and backcountry cooking. Alan and Alison will stay after the workshop for more questions and, if there is interest, to cover additional participant directed topics.

Registration is necessary. The $25 includes the class and all course materials. To register, call Customer Service at 703-379-9400, and lighten your load! At REI Bailey’s Crossroads in Virginia.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Our 5th year, and it gets better every year! BPL staffers Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl will present a Lightweight and Ultralight Backpacking Gear and Techniques Workshop in Durango, Colorado April 18 and Cortez, Colorado on April 20 both at 6:00 pm. The Durango workshop will be in the Public Lands Center (15 Burnett CT); the workshop location in Cortez TBA.

Will and Janet will present the gear and techniques they use to keep their pack weight under 15 pounds (total) for summertime backpacking in the mountains. Will now has his base pack weight (everything except food, fuel, and water) under 5 pounds, and will show you how he does it, without sacrificing comfort. Besides the ultralight approach, Will and Janet will cover various options for lightening your pack so you can carry less and enjoy backpacking more.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

BPL staffers Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl will present a “Workshop on Simple, Lightweight, Nutritious Backpacking Food and Cooking” May 9 in Durango Colorado starting at 6:00 PM at the Public Lands Center (15 Burnett Ct).

After you have selected all of your lightweight gear, you still have to deal with the weight of food. The question is: how much can I reduce food weight and still have adequate, tasty, and nutritious meals?

This workshop is focused on simple, lightweight foods and cooking for backpackers. Our emphasis is on keeping it simple and keeping it light, and at the same time enjoying inexpensive, tasty, nutritious meals in the backcountry.

The workshop we will cover the following topics: 1) stove options, 2) minimal cooking equipment, 3. food planning, preparation, and packaging 4)cooking in the backcountry, and 5)dehydrating foods

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

MARCH 9

Utah State University Arts & Lectures Symposium: Ryan Jordan

“Backpacking Light: Technique and Style”

March 9, 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm. TSC, Evan N. Stevenson Ballroom. Sponsored by ASUSU. Open to students, alumni, faculty, staff, and the public.

John Louviere
    797-3264
    [email protected]

MARCH 10-14

Hike with Backpacking Light Publisher Ryan Jordan to Coyote Gulch (Escalante) and learn practical skills about lightweight backpacking in Utah’s desert canyonlands.

This trip is open to staff, faculty, and students of Utah State University.

This is a “Common Adventure Trip” through the Utah State University Outdoor Recreation Center.

For more information, please contact the USU ORC here:

ORC @ USU

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

“GO LIGHT: BACKPACKING WITH LESS”

DESCRIPTION:

Montana State University-Billings, in partnership with BackpackingLight.com, is offering an afternoon workshop that will help you lose those pesky pack pounds. Proceeds will benefit the Blake Morstad Memorial Endowment at Montana State University.

INSTRUCTOR

Ryan Jordan is the Co-Founder of BackpackingLight.com and Publisher of Backpacking Light Magazine, the leading authority for information about lightweight gear and techniques for hiking.

WHERE

MSU-Billings Downtown

WHEN

Saturday, March 25, 2006 – 4:00 to 8:00 PM

COURSE FEE

$30.00

CONTACT / SIGNUP

Adam Sundstrom
    [email protected]

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

WHAT:

– Book signing of “Lightweight Backpacking & Camping” by Ryan Jordan

WHERE:

Borders, Billings, MT
    2833 King Ave W, Billings, 59102 – (406) 656-0855
    Map & Directions

WHEN:

Sunday, March 25, 2005
    12:00 Noon – 2:00 PM

Carol Crooker
    BPL Member

@cmcrooker

Locale: Desert Southwest, USA

Lightweight and Ultralightweight Backpacking Workshop
    Friday, Jun 23, 7 pm
    San Francisco Patagonia store

Kevin Sawchuk, BPL Ambassador, will lead an ultralight backpacking workshop in San Francisco June 23rd. Kevin is a neurologist who maintains balance and sanity by backpacking and running (and winning) ultramarathons. He fast packed the John Muir Trail in under four days, setting a new record, in August 2004. (Read the account of his adventure in Backpacking Light print magazine, issue 2.)

Patagonia store phone number: (415) 771-2050
    Directions:
    “We are located at 770 North Point, near the Fisherman’s Wharf/North Beach areas, within easy walking distance from many hotels, and just a half block from the Hyde St. cable car line. Public transportation is the easiest way to get here; the Muni 30 Stockton, 47 Van Ness and 10 Townsend lines pass directly in front of the store. We encourage alternative transportation as parking can be challenging. Between Leavenworth and Hyde”

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast

Since I will be attempting to set a new un-resupplied speed record on the JMT this summer I will definitely take advantage of Kevin’s program on June 23.
    Q: As a BPL Ambassador, does he receive diplomatic immunity?

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

AL – what is that record currently?

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

One’s immunity is limited to one’s dominion. I believe Ryan gives me diplomatic immunity in Bozeman and Yellowstone so long as I don’t do anything really illegal. I have limited immunity in the Sierra–from rain on most summer days and blisters on hikes less than 25 miles. Hope to see you Friday!

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Cary,
    In 2005 Reinhold Metzger once again eclipsed his own un-resupplied, unsupported speed record on the JMT, this time by 3 hours, dropping it to 5 days 7 hours.
    Here’s a great article through which I first learned about him after my 12 day effort in ’04.

<http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/outdoors/20030929-9999_mz1s29outdor.html&gt;

Al Shaver
    BPL Member

@al_t-tude

Last Friday night in The City By The Bay Kevin en-lightened a small group of Patagonia employees and others with his inspirational photos and words as well as dissecting 2 ultralight packs full of store bought gear and skillfully sewn homemade gear. I think some of the folks who attended will pack lighter and happier for their attendance.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Will BPL be publicly represented at the OR festivities in Salt Lake next week?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Damn I usually watch that. Me being from San Jose! Must have been watching my pathetic baseball team! Too bad.

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Yep, 7 of us will be there covering the show. Its going to be huge, over 4000 exhibitors. Dispatches will begin Thursday night Aug 10.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Will there be a possibilty to discuss reviewed items?
    Kind of like BPL staff has reviewed something interesting which I would like to know more about.

Peter Wise
    BPL Member

@pwise757

Locale: Northeast USA

Boston – I vote for Boston. It’s a shuttle flight away.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

so was the San Francisco thing it? Will we having something in the near future? I hope so.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

BACKPACKING LIGHT :: Instructor – Ryan Jordan
    UNIVERSITY OF UTAH (SLC Campus)

Overview of gear, practices, and styles for lightweight travel, with particular attention paid to comfort and safety. Contexts will include desert and mountain travel, off-trail trekking, and wilderness packrafting.

LLREC 759-001 * T, Jun 12 * 7:00-9:00 PM
    FEE: $35

More: Univ of Utah AOCE

Mireille Halley
    BPL Member

@tinyscrafts

Locale: So Cal

ditto
    LA/OC (orange county)tons of people to convert :)

Ralph Netta

@ralphnetta

Locale: Central New Jersey

does anyone know of any events and or clinics to be held in New Jersey this Spring or Summer

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools