Topic

Why can’t we have signatures?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Why can’t we have signatures?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

I'm just curious why we can't add signatures like other forums. Am I in the minority here or do other people want to as well?

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

Personally I'm not a fan of signatures. They clutter up the thread with the same content repeatedly, confuse search engines, and are often used by people to either show off about their latest gadgets or make a 'witty' comment which is no longer amusing after the 50th time reading it.

Basically I find they impede communication rather than help it. Avatars say plenty enough for me.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    -~ [insert ascii art pic here]
    -~ >> Ashley B <<
    -~ currently 0 pounds base weight because I'm not
    -~ carrying my pack! Oh wait… that wasn't even witty
    -~ the first time

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

too much pressure.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No thanks, Don't want to read it over and over, and over, and over, see.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

I'm strongly against signatures – they just clutter up the threads. I've found the clean layout of BPL's forum to make it more enjoyable to read than many other forums. I think a picture and username is plenty for the threads – people can write whatever they want on their bio page.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Aren't signatures only really for advertisement and dumb quotes? (like the one I have on another site)

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I am for signatures so long as the size is controlled and they do not contain pictures. It is a simple and easy method to promote blogs, Twitter accounts, and other networking methods and would promote the community that is here.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Definitely NO !

Sigs usually contain graphics which eat up bandwidth and increase download times, especially for those on already slow dial-up connections.

Avitars are bad enough; sigs are over the top. Please, NO! If you really think your ID/avitar on the left isn't enough, just type your name at the bottom of your post ……like this.

Wandering Bob

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

dangit Bob! you made me read Wandering Bob twice! now my whole day is over.

Jayce, you can always add a sig under "my locale" as long as its under 35 letters, including spaces.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

On Signatures:

Let the content of your communications speak about who you are…

Less is more.

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

WOOOO…I hate signatures.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Granted there are a number of things missing from the BPL forums (such is the life of using custom, legacy software) but .sigs are not one of them.

Personally I would prefer to see monies spent on Web site development go toward more practical things such as refined search-ability, a wider range of media, and richer trip reporting and gear listing capabilities.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

For gear listing I'd like to see us be able to add our gear and weights to a huge database.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools