Topic

Need help narrowing down my selection on 2-3lb packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need help narrowing down my selection on 2-3lb packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

No lumbar panks…sounds dirty…and I will refrain from answering that question :)

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Ashley wrote, "Hehe. You don't charge an extra shipping fee, but it is likely that there will be some extra "handling"."

Actually, I was just kidding with you. As tempting as it may be, none of your gear purchases was 'handled'. :)

As for packing the Atmos, you guessed correctly — to make space between the pack's back and your back — the pack back caves inward, making flat packing impossible. But at the end, I think it's a matter of subjective choice — a slightly cooler back or a slightly harder to pack backpack…

Angela Zukowski

@angelaz

Locale: New England

>What are the pros and cons of having a floating lid like on the meridian vapor as opposed to no lid like the vapor trail?

Pro's: You can keep stuff that you want easily accessible in the floating lid – maps, snacks, etc. and you can remove it and use it as a fanny pack on an occasion when you want to leave your pack behind.

Cons: you could achieve essentially the same easy access by placing a ditty bag with the items near the pack's opening. And how often do you really need a fanny pack?

I do like the packs with floating lids that I have used – you can take off a layer and strap it between the lid and the actual pack without bothering to open the pack, and it keeps things organized – it just isn't really essential. On really pared down packs with no pockets, it's a nice feature to have, albeit one that adds weight.

Good luck!

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Clay, order today from ULA!

You can thank Benjamin T and I later, after you have used this great pack on a few trips.

Get it ordered and on its way, upon arrivial load it up and try it on for fit and comfort. If not pleased ship it back.

This pack, the ULA Circuit, will adapt well to your gear changes as you make modifications. It will carry well either partly loaded or maxed out and will out last most of your other gear.

If after using the pack you find yourself wanting to go a differant route you will likly be able to sell this pack, on this site, easier then any other pack you've listed.

Made in the USA – check
    Great company and product reputation – check
    High quality materials and workmanship – check
    Multiple fit options – check
    Available and ready to ship – check
    Good resale – check
    Great value – double check

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

I'd say the Talon 44 is no less durable than the other packs mentioned, seems quite fine, actually. The biggest difference is volume. The GG packs are ~60 liters vs the ~45 liters. Depending on the gear you already have, do you need more volume?

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

The floating lid does not hold that much stuff and it adds extra weight to your load and it costs more money. For those 3 reasons, I don't want one for my Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone (which is very similar to Vapor Trail but it has a stiffer frame) but identical in pack shape (but 200 cu inches larger, comfortably larger for holding Bear Cannisters). The belt is more comfortable too, the way it attaches to the frame (provides a swivel effect when you make your stride causing less sideways motion of the vertical part of the pack).

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

One thing to bear in mind when shopping for a pack for the first time (if in fact this is your first time) — it's hard to know exactly what you like or don't like. You're doing the right thing by narrowing down to a handful. Don't sweat it too much — just make sure whatever you buy, you try it out by packing it and walking around with it for at least an hour — and you buy only from places that offer 'no hassle' returns.

My first pack came with a floating lid and a separate sleeping bag compartment. I chose those features because the floating lid would give me more packing flexibility and the separate compartment would give me more access convenience.

Totally subjective, but after my first two trips, I realized that I absolutely, positively hated the floating top and the myriad of straps that needed to be adjusted each and every time and how they dangled everywhere. I also found a separate compartment unnecessary for the way I pack.

So as they say, YMMV (your mileage may vary). But no sweat, researching and trying out different gear (packs, etc.) is half the fun! Again, don't be shy about ordering online — meaning don't limit your choices to just the packs that your local store chooses to stock.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> after my first two trips, I realized that I absolutely, positively hated the floating top

Marketing gimmick. I detest spin doctors.

Cheers

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Quick note on the Exos 46. It's not bear canister friendly. Can't get a bearicade weekender into it. The BearVault Solo "sort of" fit. The 58 is bear can friendly (weekender can go horizontal at the top).

I am not completely sold on the hip belt attachment (I prefer wrap-around belts) but it seemed decent enough.

For people in the greater sf-bay area, Nick of DownWorks in Santa Cruz has both the 46 and 58 in stock in size M and L.

–Mark

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I am not completely sold on the hip belt attachment (I prefer wrap-around belts)

Hi Mark, what do you mean by the hip belt attachment? How is the hipbelt different to a normal pack (eg. ULA circuit)?

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Mark,

Thanks for the helpful tips on the Exos and bear canisters. I've been debating between the 46 and 58 for exactly this reason; you've saved me shipping on returns, since our local REI only carries the 58 (not in stock).

I have a few questions, if you don't mind. When you say the BearVault 500 is tight, do you mean it looks like it might cause some seams to blow, or that it distorts the back panel structure? Or do you mean it takes up so much of the pack that not much else can be stored?

Where do you store your tent? I'm hoping the side pouch, combined with the compression straps, would hold a Tarptent Rainbow, but I'm doubtful. I don't want to store a wet/dusty/muddy tent in the main pouch, as I would have to place it right on top of my insulating gear.

Lastly, do you know how much the top pouch weights? According to the image from your website, the difference in weight between the L 46 and L 58 is 5oz. If the top pouch is also close to 5oz, then I could justify buying the 58 and simply leave the top pouch at home for most trips, with the option of including the top pouch for trips with a bear canister or when on a family outing.

I just worry about the Exos 58 feeling too bulky even without the top pouch for non-canister trips (I prefer packs with less depth and more width/height). FYI I can get my summer gear into a SMD Essence, though it's usually pretty tight. I have plenty of room in a SMD Starlite, though it's about right with a bear canister stowed inside the pack.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Wow, I got my 58 last week, and didn't even realize the top came off. Guess I'll have to take it off and weigh it. It seems huge, when compared to my REI Cruise 60.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Personally I wouldn't be concerned about the pack feeling too large when not filled to capacity. That's why we have compression straps… Wouldn't be any larger than the 46 with the same load…

John Carter

@jcarter1

Good point about the compression straps. I guess it's up to me whether the extra 5 oz is worth having a bear canister option. Mark or Joe, does it look like you could remove the top pack and then strap a bear canister to the top of the bag?

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

To confirm Will's original review and echo Joe on this…these packs are big. I just got my 46 large and as of right now I am glad I didn't get the 58.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

>I have basic gear that I can use to get away with an overnighter, but none of it is UL by any means

Although I am not familiar with your list of pack options, I hope you take into account the loads you are likely to be carrying at the moment. Until you shave down you basic gear weight, what weight and size loads will you be carrying? This should be the first consideration when buying a pack, and is why it is better to get the pack last (beg, borrow or rent one in the interim). For instance, even though you may aim to get your total pack weight down to 20lb, if you are going to be carrying 40lb loads for your first trips, make sure the pack you choose will carry that amount comfortably, otherwise you will not reap the benefits of carrying a lighter pack.

The terrain you will be covering is also a consideration. For me, any pack that is not big enough to hold ALL my gear inside is too small. Gear hanging on the outside catches on bushes, vines, brambles and rocks (aka bush-bashing), and mesh pockets don't fair very well either. If you will be on open trails, then this won't be such an issue.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

>Mark or Joe, does it look like you could remove the top pack and then strap a bear canister to the top of the bag?

I can't speak for Mark, and have never seen a bear canister. But that won't stop me from answering. It almost looks to me like you could let the straps way out on the top lid, and put it between the pack and top lid.

Dave T

@davet

John Carter

@jcarter1

Joe,

Now THAT would be really cool! I only need a bear canister once a year at most, so that would be my preference. I might just have to try out a L 46 and give it a try, and if it doesn't work, upgrade to the L 58.

John Carter

@jcarter1

It just occurred to me that the Stow-On-The-Go bungee on the shoulder strap could be used to help secure an umbrella for umbrella users. This would keep it from flying away, and would keep it on one's shoulder, so the left hand only has to loosely hold it in place rather than tightly grip it. And since I use my trekking pole as my umbrella shaft, I could keep the handle near my waist for a comfortable setup.

The more I look at this backpack the more I'm impressed with the little details. Now to find a retailer offering a sale…

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I hiked the PCT last summer. I started with a light, frameless pack. My gear was pretty light. But I had to carry up to 5 liters of water. That made my pack feel terrible. I bought and Osprey Aura 500 miles in and even though the pack was heavier, the load felt so much lighter and more comfortable.

At first I thought it had too many zippers and doo-dads just like people here have said. Actually, it did not. I used every zipper, pocket, pouch and strap. I could cut some length off the ends of some straps, but that would be all I could remove.

My only complaint was after I rid myself of the bear can, the pack was too big and all my stuff clumped in a pile at the bottom. The compression straps didn't seem to help that much.

Since your gear isn't yet lightweight, consider how much weight you'll be carrying in your decision to buy your pack. Yes, your gear will get lighter and smaller over time, but by then you'll probably want a new pack anyway.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

I'd like to echo much of what Allison said…

You do want a pack large enough to swallow all your gear–not your theoretical gear. Carrying a bunch of crap strapped to the outside of your pack won't do you any good–it'll just make your pack carry worse. When you pack a bag that has more volume than you need, all you need to do is basically lay it on the ground and stack the gear high. Compression straps have always worked–for me. Personally, I'd rather have the capacity to haul all my stuff inside my pack, and consistently have a good carry, than have a too-small pack.

Also, just reading through the last couple posts I might have missed something, but don't buy a pack based on the volume of the large or medium frame. That's not the point of frame sizing. The idea is to get a pack that fits you. So unless your torso is 20 inches or more please don't buy a large pack. It won't do you much good. Food for the general thought… Cheers-

John Carter

@jcarter1

Brad,

I was confused on sizing as well until I checked Osprey's website. Turns out each model (34, 46, and 58) comes in small, medium, and large. So there are actually nine models to choose from, with nine different pack volumes, all of which are listed. That's why I've been specifying L 48. This does let you choose pack volume and hip/torso sizing separately.

You're right, though, too big a pack is better than too little. But since my gear gets swallowed in a SMD Starlite, and the L 46 is close to that size, I'm pretty sure I would never need the space of the L 58 (except perhaps for a bear canister. For the original poster, though, a 58 is probably the better choice.

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

John, at the risk of sounding less-than-humble… I'm not confused about sizing. Each model (34, 46, 58) comes in different sizes NOT for choosing volume, but for selecting the appropriate torso length. I promise; I'm a professional packfitter and do sell Osprey packs. What happens is that different torso lengths end up yielding nominally (pretty much insignificant) volume differences between sizes within a model.

I don't have specific numbers in front of me right now, so let me make something up. Let's say a manufacturer offers a pack they call the ModelX 50. They're indicating the pack has a volume of roughly 50 liters. They offer the ModelX 50 in frame sizes small, medium, and large. Those sizes are indicative of overall torso length. Volumes will vary slightly: the small might be 49 liters, the medium 50 liters, and the large 51 liters. What is important is that you get the right torso length for the pack to fit you properly. Absolutely vital that you do this right.

Please go to Osprey's website to the "Pack Tech" section and click on the drop-down for sizing or fitting. You'll see what I mean.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Brad,

Thanks for the clarification. I believe we have the same understanding, but that I poorly worded my explanation. I can see how listing 9 available sizes in my above post could be misleading. My torso is long, so I would choose the L 46 or L 58. But to be absolutely clear for anyone else, here is the information from their website:

Exos 34 (34 liters = 2100 cu in):
    S: 1900 cu in, 1 lb 9 oz
    M: 2100 cu in, 1 lb 12 oz
    L: 2300 cu in, 1 lb 15 oz

Exos 46 (46 liters = 2800 cu in):
    S: 2600 cu in, 1 lb 10 oz
    M: 2800 cu in, 1 lb 14 oz
    L: 3000 cu in, 2 lb 2 oz

Exos 58 (58 liters = 3500 cu in):
    S: 3300 cu in, 1 lb 15 oz
    M: 3500 cu in, 2 lb 3 oz
    L: 3700 cu in, 2 lb 8 oz

So there are in fact 9 pack choices, with a 200-300 cu in increase in each size, but an individual would only be able to choose 3 of the 9 sizes based on whether their torso/hips matched a S, M, or L. To determine one's size:

Small (S):
    Torso length <18.5"
    Hip measurement: <31"

Medium (M):
    Torso length: 18-20.5"
    Hip measurement: 30-34"

Large (L):
    Torso length: >20"
    Hip measurement: >33"

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools