Topic

Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Staff Videocast: Cowboy Coffee

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Great stuff!! I really like the pot cozy idea.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Please pass the cream and sugar!

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Hey, NoDoze is a lot lighter than all those "luxury" caffeine fixes. What's next, backcountry espresso makers? How about a Starbucks every 10 miles on the PCT?

Cheers,

-Mike M. — The editor formerly known as "nameless" ;-)

Mike Saxton

@hokie

The coffee and tea are great, but what is the name of the music that went with that coffee!

Steven Nelson
    BPL Member

@slnsf

Locale: Northern California

So, those are "Melita" filters I'm using, and I like that they're "unbleached". Spoke a little too fast to be clearly understood there.

Fun to see everyone's methods, and that I'm not the only one who uses a cozy.

I don't have a cool theme song like Sam, though…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Sam needs a theme song since he doesn't talk during his clip…

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

Where can I get a copy of the song that was playing during the video?

Tracy Novak

@tracyn

MSR Mugmate is easier, less mess. 1 ounce.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

We'd love to see your techniques for backcountry coffee as well. Post your photos, ideas, or video links here and share with the rest of us.

There has been a great discussion going on about this in another thread here as well.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I too like the MSR mugmate. Great for coffee. It also works great for loose tea, so you don't end up with tea bags. It also can be used to pre-filter water.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

I agree the MSR Mug Mate is the way to go. Simple, easy to clean, and I can use the same organic, fair trade coffee that I use in my French press while not backpacking.

I think the important thing to note is how a person makes coffee wihle *not* backpacking. If you drink crap coffee on a daily basis, odds are good that I'm not gonna care what you do while in the backcounty. ;)

On the other hand, if you use NoDoze on the trail, then I have to wonder what you do for coffee when all the amenities of home are at your disposal. Well Mike?

Lewis Martin
    BPL Member

@mrtymrtn

Locale: Sierra Nevadas Golden Trout W

One thing to remember, if you have your coffee ground, or do it yourself, have them grind it to French Press size… They grounds are bigger and they fall to the bottom after a quick stir, no need to strain….Throw out the last quarter inch.

I too have been wondering if I can download the song somewhere to my iTunes… Been looking for a year. I would gladly buy it..

Ben Pearre
    BPL Member

@fugue137

There are lots of ways to make coffee. The question, it would seem to me, is less "how to steep coffee grounds in water?" and more "find a few optima on the coffee-taste vs. equipment-weight function." I'd love to see you recruit Chris Kimball to the BPL staff :)

The parts of an Aeropress that are strictly necessary (syringe and stirring rod) are 246 grams. Damn if it doesn't make fine coffee (in about a minute including cleanup; no cozy needed as steeping time is about 10 seconds), but I tend to take tea into the woods due to weight and simplicity.

Speaking of which, those "MSR tea infusers" (http://www.rei.com/product/726094 for $17) appear to be a re-branding of the Finum infuser (http://www.specialteas.com/Tea-Preparation/Permanent-Tea-Filter-for-Mugs-Sm-Pots.html for $7), and the Chatsford infusers (http://www.specialteas.com/Tea-ware/Tea-Pots/English-Teaware/CHATSFORD-INFUSER-RED.html) are at least as good and far lighter (one for the Chatsford 6-cup pot weighs 12g). That sounds competitive vs. the strainer, and may be more convenient for tea, albeit less versatile?

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Its great to see Alan making Tea, had not thought of doing it in that way I have always used tea bags. So I need to buy some loose green tea. And the cosy system seems ideal as a tea pot cover, just like my grandma used to use.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

For those liking more of an espresso or Turkish/Greek coffee: Use a slightly higher mixture using darker roasted coffee grounds. Stir then boil over a gentle heat until about to overflow x three times. One final stir to get the grounds to sink, then pour. Although I use this method to make it on the trail using a FireLite 550, at home I use a copper and tin ten ounce Ibrik.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Side Note: We're exploring ways to make the BPL theme song available to our members. It's come up so many times that it's something we really need to do.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I made up a filter out of fine stainless steel mesh. Some dust gets through, but not much.

Coffee Filter, with coffee
    Coffee filter in cup, empty of coffee
    Empty coffee filter
    Coffee brewing.

This is years old now, and went with me across France. It seems pretty rugged. An old face cream jar fits inside it neatly – that holds several day's worth of ground coffee.

Cheers

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

>The parts of an Aeropress that are strictly necessary (syringe and stirring rod) are 246 grams. Damn if it doesn't make fine coffee (in about a minute including cleanup; no cozy needed as steeping time is about 10 seconds), but I tend to take tea into the woods due to weight and simplicity.<

Ben P,

Hey! I use an Aeropress at home to make up "shots" for the trail. I usually use about 1/2 the water they suggest, but otherwise make coffee with the Aeropress as usual. I pour the "shots into a small plastic bottle for the trail then dispense as needed and add hot water. The concentrate will last without refrigeration for at least 10 days. Tastes great! Basically it is a do-it-yourself Java Juice.

-Mark

Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

will there be an announcement if and when the song is available?

i fell for the simplicity of java juice last season when i bought the cup, fire starter and coffee package. my morning cup of coffee is no nonsense, fairly smooth, boil, pour, drink. BPL isn't getting rid of java juice are they? I saw it labeled as closeout in the store…

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

Very nice video. I liked it a lot. Hope you do videos on even more stuff in the future. I shall give some of these tips some tries.

David Schill

@dschill

Locale: Northeast

I used the GSI H2jo Coffee Filter. It fits on top of a water bottle. I use a 1 liter bottel with a home made cozy. Pour water in, close cap, let sit upside down for 3 min. +/-. Makes great coffee everytime, and with the cozy, even in winter it is HOT.

Judi Henson

@ritzhenson

Locale: The Deep South

At the risk of offending coffee afficianados, I like to use General Mills International Delights. I use cream and suger in my coffee, and this just seems like the easiest way to to do that. I boil water in my Snow Peak mini-solo, over my alki stove, add three spoonfulls, stir and drink. By the way I drink Fresh ground Kona coffee at home, not crap. Let the name calling begin. By the way, I want to download the song too! Who is that? I tried to Shazam it on my iPhone, it doesn't know it. Bummer!

Man! I just re-read that post, and I sound like a real jerk! Oops! I'm really a nice guy. My name is Ritz I used my wife's credit card to sign up so I gues I'll be Judith here. I want to thank everyone here for all that I've read here. I'm learning sooo much! Peace y'all.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Hey, NoDoze is a lot lighter than all those "luxury" caffeine fixes."

You're not alone, Mike. NoDoze is my recreational drug of choice when I go cold food.

For "Cowboy Coffee" I've found a finer grind to work better than coarser grinds, particularly at higher elevations where the water boils at a lower temperature. My hypothesis is that a finer grind exposes more coffee ground surface area to the water, yielding a more thorough extraction. Should work at all elevations, but increasingly important the higher I go. It also uses less coffee. Downside is that it takes a bit more effort to clean the cup, which is where I steep my coffee. I use a Rubbermaid cup(wrapped in 3 layers of Duct tape in lieu of a cozy) and after adding very hot(not boiling) water and coffee, stir, snap the lid on, wait 5 minutes, stir gently again to settle the remaining grounds, and enjoy. Aaaahhhh.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Hey, great videocast, music, ideas 'n all! But where was the cowboy coffe? Back at the ranch, in Montana, we made ours by boiling water in a blue enamal coffee boiler, then throwing in a handful of grounds, a pinch of salt and a crushed up egg shell. The salt helped neutralize the acids to give a smooth taste, and the egg shells helped settle the grounds. Now, you don't need a blue enamel coffee boiler to do this, but Montana tradition dictates the rest as essential for authentic cowboy coffee. Uh huh, mmmm! Happy trails.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools