Topic

Macpac eVent launch- NZ and AU..

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
PostedJan 13, 2009 at 12:47 am

***EDIT- i probably didn't make it clear that I have an interest (as part owner) at Macpac…So factor that in as you read ;) cheers, Cam ****


So you have no doubt heard by now that a little company called eVent has put a tiger amongst the pigeons..whereas "that other company" use a layer of Polyurethane to protect their PTFE for oils and fats eVent spent their efforts developing an oleophobic (oil repelling) PTFE and ended up with fabric technology that is 130-300% more breathable than the best of "the other companies" efforts!! yep, we were excited too, and knew which way we had to go with our rainwear!!

So after about 12 months in the making Macpac are just about to release our brand new technical alpinists Prophet Jacket and pant,the slightly longer Resolution for walkers and the endurance pursuits light and fast Traverse jacket, all combine Macpacs design and quality with the best waterproof breathable fabric on the market. (despite what you may have heard elsewhere…)
(if you want a bit of background where names are named, … http://www.shelby.fi/tips/breathability.pdf )

Because this as a bit of a milestone for performance, we thought we'd make a bit of an event of it (pardon the pun), so we have staff from eVent in the USA coming over to join our product specialists on a "round NZ and Australia" launch tour.

Kicking off in NZ at the start of March and moving into Australia from the 9th, we invite all interested parties (customers, outdoor enthusiasts, retailers, professional users, heck, even our competitors who are interested) to join us for a session of information, testing, questions and answers…maybe even a special; offer or two..

we'll also be giving away a new Macpac jacket at each session…

So if you want to find out more details of dates, cities and times for the launches sign up for our Macpac Wilderness Club and you'll get the details out to you in the next couple of weeks.. (go to http://www.macpac.co.nz or http://www.macpac.com.au and follow the macpac wilderness club links to sign up ) If you know of others who would benefit from this and like to hear it "from the horses mouth" please pass the link on to them too..this is an eVent of significance to all outdoors people…

Let me know on here what you'd like to see/hear/know from the launch and I'll see what we can do… fire up any questions of comments.

This is the one for those of us who don't appreciate paying a bucket load of cash only to get soaked from the inside.

cheers
Cam

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Campbell
I was going to let this one go but it has been bothering me.
We all like Macpac here downunder but this thread belongs in the gear deals forum and only because of the jacket giveaway, otherwise it is a blatant commercial endorsement from a company employee and that is a no no here. Not sure how Roger and co have not spotted this one….
Anyway, what bothers me is that there is a new version of the Microlite coming out, and since you work there, can you let them know that another "freestanding" option using trekking poles ( if this is the case) could come under some heavy criticism by some. See the MSR Rip-Off thread for some clues.
Back to eVent, it might surprise you that some here have been familiar with eVent since 2004, that particular chart you posted a link for is from 2003 and was published here in 2004, but is nice to see your enthusiasm for it.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html
But yes it does work "better" than the other stuff, at least my Montane combo does.
Franco

EndoftheTrail BPL Member
PostedJan 14, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Does NZ have the same stupid legal environment like we do here in the US where folks who stupidly ignore warning labels (e.g. don't cook or smoke inside your non-fire retardant tent) can still sue and win millions?

Due to stupidity, greed, and refusal to take personal responsibility — all tent material must be treated with fire retardant — so no eVENT tents for us here.

Makes me wonder if Macpac might come out with a nice, simple, eVENT dome tent? That would be sweet!

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm

HI Ben
As you might recall, the ban was put into place when GE acquired eVent from BHA Technologies.
This is from a BPL article
"The CPAI-84 standard exempts tents less than about 3 pounds, so eVENT is still allowed in so-called “bivy shelters.” The 28-inch high Rab Summit Extreme is the only eVENT “tent” on the market today because it is technically a bivy shelter. Today you can purchase an eVENT bivy within the US, or a Gore-Tex tent outside of the US.

As I posted before the Rab is not much smaller than some Bibler/ID designs and it is still available in eVent (under a different name) .
My impression is that Macpac will be using a silnylon fly and a lighter inner than the existing one, but the bone of contention is about how thy will be implementing the freestanding option.
I don't know how light eVent can get (around 2 oz) but the type used for tents is about 3 oz per sq yard so a lot heavier than silnylon.
Now that I think about it, they are working on a dome tent…

Franco

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Rene- we haven't put them up on the website yet- maybe a week or so before we release them…but you probably won't see them in the Netherlands for a few more months..

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm

"Campbell
I was going to let this one go but it has been bothering me.
We all like Macpac here downunder but this thread belongs in the gear deals forum and only because of the jacket giveaway, otherwise it is a blatant commercial endorsement from a company employee and that is a no no here. Not sure how Roger and co have not spotted this one…."
MATE, IF MENTIONING THAT WE'LL HAVE A LUCKY DOOR PRIZE AT THE LAUNCH BOTHERS OTHERS AS IT BOTHERS YOU THEN NO PROBLEM FOR IT TO BE REMOVED- DIDN'T SEE THAT AS A CONCERN..
"Anyway, what bothers me is that there is a new version of the Microlite coming out, and since you work there, can you let them know that another "freestanding" option using trekking poles ( if this is the case) could come under some heavy criticism by some. See the MSR Rip-Off thread for some clues. "
I HAVE USED A SINGLE POLE TENT WITH STICK AND WALKING POLE OVER MANY YEARS TO ALLOW IT TO BE FREESTANDING…CAN'T SEE THAT THERE IS ANY NEW INVENTION HERE, JUST AN IMPROVEMENT TO THE INTERFACE OF COMMONLY USED ITEMS….NONETHELESS, WE AVOID ALL THAT FLAK- OUR NEW TENT USES A MORE COVENTIONAL SOLUTION 9A SECOND POLE1 :) ) HOWEVER, IT'S NOT DUE THIS SEASON..

"Back to eVent, it might surprise you that some here have been familiar with eVent since 2004, that particular chart you posted a link for is from 2003 and was published here in 2004, but is nice to see your enthusiasm for it.
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html "

AND IT IT MAY SURPISE YOU TO KNOW THAT SOME HERE HAVE BEEN AWARE OF IT WELL BEFORE THEN ;)

"But yes it does work "better" than the other stuff, at least my Montane combo does.
Franco"
CHEERS
CAM

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedJan 14, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Not to be a bother but I don't ever remember the MacPac stuff being light, or at least light enough to really pop up here.

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 14, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Hi Cam

BPL requirement for Forum participation: when posting on any channel regarding a company in which you have an interest, you are required to disclose that interest up front.

So you should have included a sentence to the effect that you are the new (part-)owner of Macpac. You could of course go back and add that sentence to the posting.

Yes, this should probably have gone under Gear Deals rather than in GSpot. I will let this one ride for the moment as it covers a wider scope than just a 'deal'.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
Online Community Manager
Backpacking Light

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Brett- maybe you are correct- our 3 layer eVent traverse shell (with pack away hood and chest pocket) is 345gms mens (M) and 310gms womens (w's med)..
the use of a heavy fabric on shoulder to comply with our pack carrying requirement blew them out of the super light categorey…

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

G'day Roger,

happy to make things fit…think there is probably some interest here, but happy to have things disappear rather than upset the good folk at BPL.
cheers
Cam

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Campbell
To clear up a couple of points…
Some individuals trying to make a living (not me) selling their own gear have had similar posts deleted, hence my concern.
The give-away qualified the entry for the gear deal forum, without it it would have been a free commercial , that was the point.
I have used, and will continued to do so, Macpac products and you may remember that in a way I took the Macpac point of view when you chose to go direct , so nothing against the brand. As much as it is an easy target for the UL brigade, there are several areas here in OZ and in NZ where , as a mate of mine that has just returned from the South Island recently reminded me, the usual UL and L gear just does not work.
But I am not trying to teach you how to suck eggs, just a comment for the cuben backpack users.
A "3 layer eVent traverse shell (with pack away hood and chest pocket) is 345gms mens (M) and 310gms womens (w's med).." does not sound bad at all. Particularly like the idea of the reinforced shoulder area, I rather have that then a worn 50g lighter jacket.
Thanks for the tent info, now I know…
Franco
I turned my sound off 'cause your post was a bit loud

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I turned my sound off 'cause your post was a bit loud

Me too. Writing in all upper case on the net is often referred to as "shouting" for good reason. It often conveys strong emotion or anger, which I'm sure you didn't intend!

Roger Caffin BPL Member
PostedJan 14, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Thanks Cam (for BPL).

Us Australians (and Kiwis) wish you well.

cheers
Roger (for himself)

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 5:58 pm

"I turned my sound off 'cause your post was a bit loud"

there doesn't sound to be a provision to quote on here…wanted my reply to be differentiated from the questions….thought i'd have a few questions, not fores to put out…will skulk away now…
thanks Roger for the support

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:06 pm

thought i'd have a few questions, not fores to put out…will skulk away now…

No offence, but because eVent has been around for so long it's not super-exciting. The weight isn't bad for a longer trip in wet weather. However, as an aussie I'm used to ignoring most Aussie-made gear because it is inevitably not price-competitive with the US stuff (as well as usually being heavy). There's no way I'm going to drop $400-500 on a jacket, and I suspect that's how much these might cost. How much are they?

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:09 pm

If think that I deserve a commission by now ( there is no such thing as bad publicity)

Yes, I did get why you used capital letters since it appears that only Ben (TwoWorlds) has figured out how to use Italics or bold or any other way of differentiating quotes and comments.
The reference to LOUD was simply because I already posted two serious entries and that is just not my style.
( I wouldn't mind if you tried the Neve' again with better down and lighter fabric…)
Franco

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I did get why you used capital letters since it appears that only Ben (TwoWorlds) has figured out how to use Italics or bold or any other way of differentiating quotes and comments

Use < i > quote here < / i > to get italics, but remove the spaces! Replace i with b to get bold.

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:18 pm

Like this ? as if I can remember that. Ever wondered why I use my name in the forums ?
Franco
looks like it works..
Yep it does. A virtual box of chocolates coming your way (100% fat free)
I wonder what the test forum is used for?

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:22 pm

> I wouldn't mind if you tried the Neve' again with better down and lighter fabric…

You mean like a Western Mountaineering POD? I have a friend who had MacPac Neve refilled with 'better' down. Still not 800+fp, but better than it used to be. Now if they could just add a bit of overlap of down where the pad joins the bag, and allow for the bag to taper, and use lighter fabrics (and better down of course) it might be a winner. But hey, that would just be like a POD again…

No one could accuse MacPac of making flimsy clothing and gear, but I imagine at the quoted weight, the eVent jacket is likely to be on the short and 'athletic' side of appealing to me. I hope I'm wrong!

PostedJan 14, 2009 at 6:25 pm

>Use < i > quote here < / i > to get italics, but remove the spaces! Replace i with b to get bold.

Hmmmm, I wonder how to get bold italics???

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 38 total)
Loading...