Topic

Knot basics?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
PostedJan 11, 2009 at 8:19 am

For some reason, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to knots and ropes — don't know why, but I always have been.

Can someone point me in the right direction for some basics on knots for tarps? I've read the Gossamer Gear knot tutorial; but I don't benefit from any of those knots.

I am specifically looking to determine appropriate rope length and a good fixed-knot for stakes for standard 6-12 inch pitch (from ground) for tarp corners.

Any ideas?

PostedJan 11, 2009 at 8:47 am

As a climber, fisherman, and backpacker I know a good deal of knots.
You can find instructions on the internet for most.
I think if you learned the following you'd be covered for just about everything you'll do backpacking:

1. Bowline (strong loop, unties easy)
2. Figure 8 on a bite and figure 8 follow through (one of the strongest loops, probably more than you need for backpacking)
3. Clove hitch (good for tying off to stakes, etc. frees easily, very quick to tie.)
4. Taughtline hitch (sliding loop, allows you to tension a line)

I could go on and on, but when I'm backpacking, these are the knots I find myself using the most- can't think of the last time I used something else (unless I was fishing or climbing)
I love knots!

Boozer BPL Member
PostedJan 11, 2009 at 9:13 am

I second Michael's suggestion…I've been using the site for the last 3 or 4 years. Nicely put together.

Nathan Baker BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 5:14 am

I picked up a cheat sheet to help me out from time to time (I remember the knots, but not always what they are best used for). Take a look at:
Pro-Knot Cards
They are small laminated cards that show 14 knots, are about the size of a business card and they only weigh in at about 1oz. You can pick them up online, on Ebay and I saw them in REI once.

Tom Peterson BPL Member
PostedJan 12, 2009 at 10:55 am

More than anything else, practice, practice, practice. I have a good friend who knows at least 100 different knots (granted some are just for show). He can tie all of the important ones behind his back and strongly recommends it to anyone who'll listen. Since he's been backpacking for 70 years, I take his advise.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Loading...