How do you get the Cat Urine smell off your shelter? I have tried water and time and it still has the smell. Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Jay
Topic
Become a member to post in the forums.
How do you get the Cat Urine smell off your shelter? I have tried water and time and it still has the smell. Any suggestions?
Thanks
-Jay
No personal experience with the product (or the problem), but McNett MiraZyme Odor Eliminator is recommended by many gear care guides for removing strong odors.
Thanks John, I will checkout the product you suggested.
-Jay
First, get rid of the cat….
There are products out there that have enzymes which attack cat urine. You might try pet stores and cleaning product suppliers.
Or, on the bright side, critters might not think your tarptent as inviting to explore.
Jay, will you be using that tarp on the Pt Reyes trip?
Hey Dennis, I will be using a Dancing Light Gear Tarp/Tent in Pt. Reyes.(Hopefully with no cat urine smell) Sounds like it will be a great outing. Let's pray for some good weather.
Mentioned above –
"Or, on the bright side, critters might not think your tarptent as inviting to explore."
Great Idea…
A quick search turns up "Bobcat Urine" "Coyote Urine" and more, with absorbent hangers.
Has anyone tried something like this to discourage habituated camp critters from raiding the tent and food bags?
>>A quick search turns up "Bobcat Urine" "Coyote Urine" and more, with absorbent hangers
Animal urines are marketed to hunters to either mask human scent or attract game. It would certainly add a new dimension to the term "hiker stink".
I've that part covered….
…..and it seems to attract rather than deter….
Wait.
That's all I've been able to figure out.
I got the inside of the hood of a mummy bag sprayed one daqy before leaving for a JMT thru-hike.
That was fun.
Despite immediate washing, the bag smelled faintly for a year.
Try low tech and cheap vinegar first. Mix it with baking powder as well if dosnt seem to work. then go for the more expensive stuff if still dosent work.
Jay… McNett's MiraZyme is one of your best bets.
Mild soap and water in the tub. Rinse. And then a mirazyme soak in the tub. Smell is very mild since it is enzyme based so I over dose from suggested amounts on bottle. You can get it at any dive shop.
I have used it with pretty good results.
Well Wishes…even though I'm laughin at you a little.
Nature's Miracle is the name of the product that we use at home to remove dog urine smell from our carpets.
It has enzymes to break down the urine.
Nature's Miracle has a product/liquid for dog and cat urine.
Here is a link to their website.
http://www.naturemakesitwork.com/home/index.php
Good luck and don't sleep next to me at Point Reyes! :)
-Tony
We bought it at our local pet store.
Jay….Cat pee on the tent. Wow that sucks!
My 6 cats never do that. They might climb in and go under the tent, but to urinate???? Never!
wash tent in front loading washing machine with small amount of detergent and borax, warm water, presoak, delicate cycle
Become a member to post in the forums.