Topic

California beach backpacking suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips California beach backpacking suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    michelle Annett

@andrewz

Hello,

My girlfriend and myself are looking to doing some ocean backpacking. We have never done ocean backpacking and have no idea were would be good to go for a 2 night backpacking trip. We live right next to Yosemite national park and want a break from the snow. I have been looking at point reyes but i could not find many maps or sites to do actually planning and mileage mapping. We are fine with doing 10-20 miles a day. If any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

andrew

p.s. Sorry for the most likely dumb question but how do you get water when backpacking by the ocean? Obviously in the mountain you would be tablets or a filter, at the beach i doubt it would filter out salt though haha. thanks for the help

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Locale: San Francisco

Point Reyes is easy enough for a 2 day trip, and you can plan using the map on the nps site as well as the campground descriptions to get a rough idea of mileage.

Another option is to explore the "lost coast" north of point reyes. This site has some great information about it: http://infolab.stanford.edu/~crespo/lostcoast/

As far as water goes, both areas have streams running down from the coastal ranges that empty into the ocean or else lakes here and there. In Point Reyes, since most campgrounds have water available (from a pipe), you reallly don't even need to worry about filtration so long as you load enough from point a to point b.

Have fun!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Point Reyes, Lost Coast, Skyline To The Sea (Castle Rock and Big Basin) and maybe something in Big Sur. If you need maps of Point Reyes, Tom Harrison makes awesome maps of all kinds of areas and he has one for Point Reyes. REI carries them, which you could pick up along the way to Point Reyes or possibly the Visitor Center has them. Just call and ask when making your trail reservations

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

I believe it is closed due to fires. Big Sur, the northern part, is completely closed.

Dylan Snodgrass

@truenorth

Locale: San Francisco, CA

Go to the Lost Coast! It's awesome, I recommend staying in the Sinkyone Wilderness State Park at Needle Rock. There is great day hiking either North or South. If your feeling up to it do the Lost Coast Trail from Petrolia to Shelter Cove. It takes a few days to do it right. If you do the trail make sure to spend one night at Big Flat. This is a remote section of coastline so stock up on gas and food in the town of Redway before heading out. Very few services and erratic hours to the few country stores in the vicinity.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Point Reyes is a good choice,(water,toilets) but the Lost Coast is a totally different experience. Trails and access are more complicated, but this time of year you will have it to yourself a great deal. I have not been to Sinkyone, but hear good things. The majority of the trails there are not on the beach though, lots of up and down. You can PM me if you need more details or help arranging a shuttle if needed. The Lost Coast is in my backyard. Wherever you decide have a great time and Happy New Year!

michelle Annett

@andrewz

Thank you every one for the suggestions ill look into all the places you guys suggested. I just talk to my girlfriend to confirm we will be staying for 1 night sadly not 2. Are there any loop trails that you guys know about? For any of the places you listed, we really don't want to ride a shuttle back. Ill be looking into getting some maps soon so i can look at it myself. Thanks again

andrew

edit – i was just looking at point reyes and sky camp ground and wild cat. For those who have been to those camp ground which one is the nicest? nicest in the sense of views, popularity and seclusion? Thanks again

Nate Meinzer

@rezniem

Camp 7.

Make sure you stop to see the waterfalls.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Andrew, a whole bunch of us are going on Jan. 24th for a one night jaunt in Point Reyes. We are going from the Palomarin trailhead and exiting at the Visitor Center. Total of around 15-17 miles for two days. If you'd like to join us let me know.

michelle Annett

@andrewz

Ken,

On your trip are you guys just going out for 1 night 2 days? or 2 nights? Also the trail you are doing is it a loop trail or do you have to shuttle or car pool back? If so how far is it away from the trail head if you have to shuttle back? From what i read of your post you have a lot of people going so i don't see how you will be car pooling. Ill talk to my girl friend some more because i would like to go with your group. I have been wanting to meet more people for backpacking since i live right in the sierra's. However a lot of my friends don't back pack that much and my girlfriend goes when she can. I am not a big fan of solo back packing either yet, and my dog is almost ready to go backpacking. So it would be great to meet more people, i will just have to get back to you. Thanks for the invitation.

andrew

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools