Topic

A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion A Real Personality Profile of a Lighweight Backpacker (instead of demographic sketch)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 130 total)
  • Author
    tommy d

@vinovampire

There's another thread here that seems to be trying to get at a personality profile of lightweight backpackers, but instead it really seems to be a demographic sketch. Rather than add on to an old thread, I believe it would be better to offer a real, free online Personality Test. I hope this is helpful in getting us a true personality profile for UL backpackers here on this forum.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

The test has just 72, quick yes/no questions. The site describes the test as follows:

"After completing the questionnaire, you will obtain:

"1)Your type formula according to Carl Jung and Isabel Myers-Briggs typology along with the strengths of the preferences

"2)The description of your personality type; and

"3)The list of occupations and educational institutions where you can get relevant degree or training, most suitable for your personality type – Jung Career Indicator."

Again, I hope this tool is useful.

-vino vampire-

tommy d

@vinovampire

Your Type is
    ENFJ

Extraverted – 89%
    Intuitive – 38%
    Feeling – 25%
    Judging – 50%

Idealist Portrait of the Teacher (ENFJ)
    Even more than the other Idealists, Teachers have a natural talent for leading students or trainees toward learning, or as Idealists like to think of it, they are capable of calling forth each learner's potentials. Teachers (around two percent of the population) are able – effortlessly, it seems, and almost endlessly-to dream up fascinating learning activities for their students to engage in. In some Teachers, this ability to fire the imagination can amount to a kind of genius which other types find hard to emulate. But perhaps their greatest strength lies in their belief in their students. Teachers look for the best in their students, and communicate clearly that each one has untold potential, and this confidence can inspire their students to grow and develop more than they ever thought possible.

http://keirsey.com/handler.aspxs=keirsey&f=fourtemps&tab=3&c=teacher

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Oh hell…..I'm apparently one of those INTJs.

Introverted – 22%
    Intuitive – 38%
    Thinking – 62%
    Judging – 22%

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

INTJ

I – 22%
    N – 62%
    T – 12%
    J – 11%

Thinking from my other post – based on the number of INTJ's in the prior survey – 64% (7 out of 11) were INTJ and yet the general population contains only 3.5% INTJ. Is there is any correlation with lightweight backpacking, and do traditional backpackers differ?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I am an ESTJ.
    Famous ESTJ – George W. Bush.

Now I am just depressed…

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

Bastian (The Neverending Story),
    I'm not even real. If I'm not real than I'm not really here and your not really reading this. I THINK I'M IMPLODING :(

M G
    BPL Member

@drown

Locale: Shenandoah

Ben, Cheer Up! It's a personality test not an IQ test…you should be fine.

I am an ESTJ.
    Famous ESTJ – George W. Bush.

Now I am just depressed…

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

INFJ

Introverted – 78%
    Intution – 62%
    Feeling – 50%
    Judging – 44%

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thomas,

Thanks for putting this thread up.

You are right….in my thread, it really was about demographics vs. personality profile.

Great link that you had to this personality test.

I am:

INTJ

INTROVERTED: 33% (this is funny as I am in sales)
    INTUITIVE: 6%
    THINKING: 38%
    JUDGING: 22%

*Note: I re-took the test after realizing that I failed to answer a few questions on the exam.

Christopher,

Yes, I do think that there is something fundamentally different about BPLer's vs. traditional backpackers that will show up in the personality profiles.

I was hoping to see some sort of pattern with the thread that I posted, but using demographic data.

The major difference, on an emotional level, is passion and desire to take the leisure & recreation to another level. (Not better, just different).

Going light can be about comfort, but I am betting that there is an element of wanting to push the phsyical limits and higher mileage.

If you think about it, going lightweight/UL requires a detailed review/analyst of your gear to think ahead to what you might or might not need. To carefully consider everything in advance of the conditions that you might face and to adjust your kit.

For me, I can confess a desire for high mileage and pushing, more than a healthy dose of obsessive/compulsive behavior, and an anal retentiveness to organize my gear out to the last 0.5 ounce….all with the passion and desire to get out on the trail and see more and go to places that most regular people will never see.

-Tony

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

Your Type is ISTJ
    Introverted 78
    Sensing 1
    Thinking 75
    Judging 44

I only wish that my numbers weren't so extremely skewed when I take this type of test.

Famous ISTJs:

Thomas (Christ's disciple)

U.S. Presidents:
    George Washington
    Andrew Johnson
    Benjamin Harrison
    Herbert Hoover
    George H. W. Bush

Ed Engel

@doorknob

Locale: West of what you think is west

I – 56
    S – 1
    T – 50
    J – 39

I also am in sales.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

John Haley:

Your Type is ISTJ
    Sensing 1
    Famous ISTJs: Thomas (Christ's disciple)

Hahaha… Jesus said to sensing-challenged Thomas, "Look here, Tom, just listen, OK now just put your finger in H-E-R-E! Yes, it's really ME! Got it finally? Sheesh! (rolling eyes)."

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Wow. If Thomas took it, it must be a really old test.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

INTP

Ben there done that!!

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

INTP

Introverted 100%
    Intuitive 38%
    Thinking 38%
    Perceiving 67%

Well, I knew I was shy and like to be alone, but I guess that confirms it.

John Quinn
    Spectator

@inspector8598

Locale: Northeast

INTJ

Introverted 56
    Intuitive 50
    Thinking 25
    Judging 44

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ben,
    You could always go back and retake the test. ;}

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

EFSJ

I believe that.

And I am too in sales

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Tom wrote, "Ben, you could always go back and retake the test".

Absolutely not. We have the truth and we will stick to our course, persevere, and win! No short cuts, no cut and run!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not to worry, Ben, I'll take care of the cutting and running. Especially when the bear shows up. :-))

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Another INTJ here. From the description, I can't argue!

78 38 12 22

Described as "Mastermind" … sounds fiendish!

jeffrey bennett
    Spectator

@jollygreen

Locale: Near the bottom

ENTJ

Extraverted 22
    Intuitive 50
    Thinking 25
    Judging 33

Napoleon, Franklin D. Roosevelt , Mark Anthony, Sean Connery, Madonna, Yulia Tymoshenko , Margret Thatcher, Carl Sagan, Bill Gates, Golda Meir, Edward Teller, George Benard Shaw, and General George C. Marshall and the scariest of all Hillary Clinton!

Does this mean I can still be a member in the League of extraordinary lightweight backpackers or am I on the other team?

Lizzie O

@lizzieo

Introverted 33
    Intuitive 12
    Feeling 25
    Judging 11

the Counselor (INFJ)

Mohandas Gandhi, Sidney Poitier, Eleanor Roosevelt, Jane Goodall, Emily Bronte, Sir Alec Guiness, Carl Jung, Mary Baker Eddy, Queen Noor are examples of the Counselor Idealist (INFJ).

Boozer
    BPL Member

@anywayoutside

Locale: South East

introverted – 33%
    intuitive – 38%
    thinking – 56%
    judging – 56%

I'm so middle of the road I don't even think I am upset about it.

I'm not sure I took the right test…my famous personalities were Uncle Rico, Mr. Green Jeans and Juice Newton.

Joe Westing

@pedro87

tally up another INTJ

Introverted 89
    Intuitive 25
    Thinking 100
    Judging 22

I noticed that efficiency and problem solving kept appearing in the INTJ type description which seems relevent to LW backpackers. Also, INTJ's supposedly have "an independence of mind" which could explain how many have moved from mainstream backpacking over to LW/UL.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools