Topic

What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What alcohol stove with Heineken Pot

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kim Clements
    BPL Member

@kmc1

Locale: Midwest

I have been experimenting with several homemade alcohol stoves to work with my Heineken pot. I was curious as to what other people are using.

I have found several types that work well. Some boil fast, others are efficient, and others are very stable. I am looking for the perfect stove (ha).

My requirements are:

-Packs inside my Heiny pot
    -Works well with the narrow pot.
    -Heiny pot is stable on stove
    -Very light
    -Boils 2 cups under 6 minutes
    -Is not too fragile
    -Works well in colder temperatures
    -Handles wind pretty well

I will post some of my homemade stoves later.

Jason Klass
    BPL Member

@jasonklass

Locale: Colorado

In my experience, anything with a narrow flame that focuses right in the center of the convex bottom of the can works best. I like the tea light stove or the Minibulldesigns Atomic stove. Side burners will work too but you lose a lot of heat as the flames run up the sides of the can and it makes it difficult to grip the can.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I just use the aluminum screw top of a plastic flask I bought a few years ago. Holds an ounce and a half. That, the wire mesh, a wind screen and a Heineken pot does me just fine

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Joe, I have used the BPL Ion Alcohol stove many times with the Heiny can. SUL, very reliable, easy to store because it's small size……

-Jay

Anonymous
    Inactive

Kim, would you please post your stove results. I have put my Heinekin pots away. The Heine pots are super cool and make me feel sickeningly smug when I set-up amongst my buddies to prepare dinner or brew coffee. Unfortunately I have never found a suitable stove to direct heat to such a small diameter to efficiently boil water. My present combo of a 5.5 oz V-8 can stove and an Evernew .8L pot bring water to roiling boil at little over 5 minutes. So much for being cool, for now anyway.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

Esbit, not alcohol, but…

Polished Beer Can Pot on Ti Esbit Stand

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For a Fosters…but the Trail Designs Caldera setup is absolutely brilliant.

Since buying this I've recycled my Heineken pot.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The Zelph Stoveworks Starlyte stoves are designed for use with a Heineken pot.

Chad Mason
    Spectator

@porch13

Locale: Arizona

I use a minibulldesign Nion 3 and it works very, very well. My potstand is hardware cloth.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

The perfect stoves for the Heinekn pot are the Fancee Feest and the StatLyte stoves. Both are one piece stoves that do not require priming. They light easily in below freezing temperatures.

One piece stoves(no separate pot support needed) very light weight. The StarLyte has a 1 ounce fuel capacity and the Fancee Feest has a 2 ounce capacity.

They both come with an EZ-Fold corrugated windscreen.

Phil Brown

@pbrown19

Locale: Traverse City MI

Doug, I'm assuming you're talking about the caldera keg setup? Does the cone fit inside of the pot or does it require the use of the 3oz container for storage like the other cones?

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Yes- that's the one. The cone hangs out a bit, but not much.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There was a discussion of just this topic on Tinny's (minibull Design.com) website this past week. I belived the Mini Atomic was recommended for use with the Heineken Pot for it's ability to focus the flame on the small bottom of this pot. It also works well with the Fosters Pot since the two bottoms are identical.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Locale: Willamette Valley

Another vote for the Caldera Keg System

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TDCKEG

It uses a Foster's Can for the pot and a Heiny won't really work due to the bulges in the pot. But the Foster's Can works great.

-Packs inside the pot- well almost. 1/2 inch of the cone sticks out, but it is functionally inside. Very compact and solid. (Nothing like the other Caldera Cone systems)
    -Works well with the narrow pot – Like it was made for it :-)
    -Pot is stable- I would say the most stable set up around IMHO.
    -very light- under 3 oz for the stove, cone, pot, and lid (cone is the wind screen and pot support)
    -Boils 2 cups of 60 F water in 6:15-6:40 min. (on about 1/2 oz of alcohol)
    -Is not too fragile- no more fragile than the beer can.
    -works well in colder temperatures- the stock "10-12" stove works great down into the 20's which is as low as I've used it.
    -Handles wind the best of any alcohol stove set up I know.

The Caldera Keg system is very robust. No fooling with windscreens, etc. Just light and go.

-Mark

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Mark,
    It sounds like you don't pack with the Caddy. Do you find the Cone in the Fosters Can makes a fairly sturdy package that doesn't require much TLC? Or is 'extra care' need to avoid crushing it?

It would be nice to loose the 2 ounce Caddy.

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Greg,

I have never used the Caddy. I roll the cone up and slide it in the can, invert the stove and it fits snug like a cork into the protruding 1/2 inch of cone. I put my cat can lid on top of that and I slip the whole assembly in a little silnylon bag and I'm good to go. I am careful not to pack it on the bottom of my pack or anywhere where it will be crushed, but I don't baby it to much. I've been using mine for over a year with out problems. I did get one slight dent in the can toward the bottom, but was able to just push it back out and smooth it with my finger. YMMV

-Mark

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Mark,
    Thanks for the additional comments.
    I guess I've got no choice but to order Cone #4.

Greg

Mark Hurd
    BPL Member

@markhurd

Greg,

Cone number 4?

And I thought I was bad with 3. ;-)

-Mark

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools