Topic

Full zip down pants?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 9:38 am

All I can find are Montbell's which are not warm enough and Feathered Friend's which are way too much money. Is there anything out there in between?

PostedDec 15, 2008 at 9:45 am

I have a set of the patagonia micropuff pants – those or the BPL ones might be a good option, otherwise I think you might be limited to the FF or Nutuk ones

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 10:49 am

Yeah, I have a pair of those also but they really aren't all that great when it is 10F with a -10 with the wind. That and I am trying to get away from synthetics to down which will last a much longer time.

Dave Heiss BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 11:24 am

Brett,

Which Montbell pants are you referring to as "not enough"? I'm looking for some full zip insulating pants but don't plan to be in conditions as cold as you. So your "not enough" might be "just right" to me. Are you thinking of the Thermawrap pants or some other Montbell model?

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I corrected the original statement. I am talking about the UL Down Inner Pants not being too warm enough.

Jon Rhoderick BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 3:58 pm

Feathered Friends Helios are 205 which isnt "that bad" considering thats what Pro 60 pants cost which are not nearly as warm, and the Helios will last you 5+ years

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 4:34 pm

Actually, to me $205 is a lot. I guess what I would like is something similar to the Montbell Alpine Down Jacket but for pants. The Helios pants are not even baffled for that price and you have to pay another $5 from FF to get a pair that is.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 15, 2008 at 7:38 pm

Unfortunately on how they make them you really can't do that with a swap of either.

Brad Groves BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 8:40 am

Seriously: baffled, full-zip down pants for under $200? Not going to happen, unless you find them used or someone's got a hot tip. If you want the baffled, I'd spring the $40 for the Volant pants. Otherwise, toss the Helios under your shell pants. One way or the other you should be able to take Joshua's suggestion and layer the MB and Pat. m/p. Only other thing I can think of is that I've seen some sewn-through down "long underwear" pants at hunt shops before. I think they're a little thin, probably a bit heavier, and I don't know if they're available full-zip–but that's the only other option I can think of. (FWIW, if you wanted to make your own, ~6oz of down, 3yrds of fabric, two zippers, and miscellany would run you about $100–just for materials…)

Tom Clark BPL Member
PostedDec 16, 2008 at 9:53 am

I've been looking for some insulated pants also, but didn't want to pay the high price. It also seemed tough to get a good snug fit withthe proper length when ordering through the mail. Has anyone tried thick fleece? I wonder if those might work better around camp and sitting anyway since it's less compressable.

Brett Peugh BPL Member
PostedDec 17, 2008 at 7:07 am

I can't really layer the Montbell and Patagonia as I am already in an XL.

I guess I will just use the down long underwear as it seems to be adequate and the price is right at around $50. Not full zip but I will deal.

PostedDec 17, 2008 at 8:07 am

Thomas,

I have a pair of LaSportif fleece pants and a pair of Pat. Micropuffs, both size large with full side zips. They offer the same protections IMO. The difference is in the weight; the micropuffs weigh 18 oz and the fleece pants weigh 24 oz.

The fleece pants take up about 5.5 liters of volume whereas the micropuffs can be compressed in a stuff sack to 4 liters.

I got the Pat. micropuffs on eBay for $100 and the fleece pants from Sierra Trading Post for $50.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Loading...