Topic

English Lake District

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Photo Gallery English Lake District

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Peter Atkinson
    BPL Member

@peterbob

Locale: Yorkshire, England

We did the Old Crown round on 29 December, 22 miles and 8000' of ascent… then had some beer in the Old Crown: lovely!

http://www.wanderingaengustreks.com/Old-Crown-Round.htm

we travelled somewhat lighter than this guy!!Looking South from the summit of Skiddaw

I should add that we travelled a bit lighter than the guy with the rucksack! (bumbags).

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Walking and beer. A fine UK pass time Peter. I have had a jar in that pub. Fine walk. In a day is a good effort. Make a good weekend with a nice wildcamp.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Great photos and discussion by all…thanks. However, please help out a Yank. How big (x miles by y miles) is the Lakes and Highlands?

I have been listening to and thoroughly enjoying backpackinglight.co.uk podcasts, so these photos have really been filling in the visual aspect of that.

Cheers,
    Tom

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

The Lake District National Park covers 885 square miles (about 30 miles by 30 miles). It contains 212 'tops' over 2000 feet and many lakes, tarns and muddy holes. And sheep.

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/

The highlands are really big. How long you got? :-))
    Buy a copy of Hamish's Mountain Walk off abe.com for a fab read of a round of all the munros (tops over 3000 feet).

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Hamish%27s+Mountain+Walk&x=38&y=16

$10 – bargain!

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

I look at the Lakes in a different light as it is next to other hill and moorland areas. The Yorkshire Dales borders it and extends the whole sense of hill country. Scotland is if I recall 40% of the landmass of the UK and most of it has hills or mountains. Scotland is vast and wild. It offers some of the best backpacking in the UK. For example the TGO Challenge is held there.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Roger & Martin,
    Thanks for the info. I don't have plans to get over there, but if I did those areas sound like a great spot. Too many areas here in the US that I haven't explored yet…oh, yeah and my time is filled with job, wife, & three kids.
    Tom

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Tom that is what makes this forum great. Sharing different members hiking destinations. You have some truly amazing places at home. Many places I dream of going to. Take care and I'm sure me and Rog will keep promoting the Lakes.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

We surely will Martin, I just got back from a few days up there.

The top end of Easedale
    easedale -top end

Sunday night accom. Just me and the deer and ducks at Kurt Schwitters old cottage
    Kurt Schwitters cottage

Pre breakfast ramble at Langdales YHA
    Langdales YHA

Langdale pikes from Esk Hause
    Langdale pikes from esk hause.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Lake District

Another one from April Rog

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

Can I add a photo my beautiful doggies?

Here in the lakes.

They are in their element!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Martin, I give up. Red pike from High Stile?

Paul, beautiful dogs. Great Gable, Lingmell, and Scafell Pike from Wastwater. :-)

Paul Doran

@pauldoran

Locale: Guernsey

Rog – Good going. I couldn't even remember because I didn't take this photo – my parents did, it was their trip! :)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I'm resurrecting this thread because I can. :-)

I was up in the Lakes again at the weekend. Beautiful but hazy, so the photos aren't great, but the place is.

.Rydal Head

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Rog – Looks like a great place, an English friend of mine is home visiting and hiking the Lake District this week.

Someday I'll go there, maybe.

I would love the chance to build a house like the Schwitter Cottage you show a few posts above. Anybody want one?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Heh, getting planning permission for a newbuild in the Lake District N.P. is IMPOSSIBLE. Renovating an old tumbledown is everyones dream, but they have just about all been done. The prices are UNBELIEVABLE. For example, 3 bedroom farmhouse near Coniston with outbuildings and 2 fields, about $1.5m
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-25593826.html

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

lakes 5Lakes 3Lakes 2Lakes 1

Still Rog the views are free.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools