Topic

Tarptent 4 two into Tarptent 4 four

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tarptent 4 two into Tarptent 4 four

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nielsen

@geophagous

Locale: Pacific North West

So I want to "expand" the design of the excellent Tarptent for 2 that Henry has on his site and make it about a "four" person tent.

I plan on just making it wider and a bit taller, still using trekking poles as the uprights.

This will be mostly for family good weather camping.

I am wondering if it will be stable enough. Again I am not planning on any iffy weather camping nor camping in high wind areas. Basically something to keep bugs away and maybe a bit of dew and some light rain.

Any issues you guys can see with doing so?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Doesn't look like a practical design ( to me) if extended to accommodate 4 people. A quick way of working it out , to get a good "hands on" idea, is very simply to lay down the four mats , allow a minimum of 25" above the outside of the external mats and work the dimensions from there.. Note that HS added a spreader, to get some headroom , on his Rainshadow, the 3 person version of that design.
    Franco

David Wills

@willspower3

You would definitely want to add some tie out points on the body of the silnylon part and a few more around the perimeter. A 9-10' wide fly without them would sag a lot. When using it, you would probably be served well using both poles and sturdy trees to tie to. You may not expect wind, but sometimes it comes as a big surprise.

Have you considered making 2 shelters? 2 person shelters have less complications and more flexibility at campsites. You could also use one of them as your shelter on solo or duo trips without a weight penalty. If there are little kids, you could squeeze them into a TT for 1 and use it on solo trips.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I've thought about this a bit as well… however, I haven't done anything with the idea… here was my first stab (for reference the floor was ~ 7.5' by 7.5' square:

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Don't you find that it is easier to find spots to pitch tents that are two person size or less? I rarely find a spot large enough for something that size unless on the beach.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Pyramid.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

I agree Rod. I think when considering the design effort, cost, and snow/wind load capability, a pyramid shelter is the way to go. At least these are the reasons why I dropped the idea of making a four person Tarptent Rainshadow2-like shelter (like that one above).

However, it would be nice to improve the headroom on the perimeter of the pyramid shelter. I personally would like to see a pyramid shelter with bug netting sewed to the edge and a build in bathtub floor (rather than a free standing bug net), which would save quite a bit of weight in unnecessary netting.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Brian,

I find if you put the kids on the outside edges, headroom is less of a problem. Of course this isn't always approved by Mum.

I agree that a net 'skirt' sewn to a floor is a much lighter weight option, although you may want to include a full set of mesh doors sewn to the tent and floor. It does reduce the versatility for winter use however.

Mike Nielsen

@geophagous

Locale: Pacific North West

I had also toyed with the idea of a pyramid, so maybe going that route would be better.

Thanks for pointing out some of the obvious shortfalls of the design when simply scaled up.

My son will be 4, and I will actually usually be going with my 2 dogs and him. So a 4 person size is really also to cover the rare times the wife and baby may want to come. Which is probably never ;)

Would expanding it to make it comfortable for 3 pose the same issues or do you guys think this might be more doable?

I am not a great sewer so keeping a simple pattern is what I am after.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Mike – It sounds like Henry's Rainshadow2 would be a perfect fit for what you are needing. I have one and love it. It would easily accommodate 2 adult and 2 small children or 1 adult, 1 kid, and 2 dogs. Keep in mind that right now Henry has 20% off his shelters as well!

http://www.tarptent.com/rainshadow2.html

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

You might like to check out the parallel thread at

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16459&skip_to_post=124016#124016

for photos of the nest Roger made.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools