Topic

Question of the day?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

James,

"The discussion has hinged upon, at times, the very details of the curvature and shape of the 800 fill power down Thermal Conductivity vs Compression (density) curve, and the curve has never been presented."

Perhaps you missed this post regarding compression?

James D Buch
    BPL Member

@rocketman

Locale: Midwest

I will be publishing a careful analysis of the shortcomings of that post very shortly.

You may recall that one poster digged into the quoted NIST "down conductivity vs Density data" and published that only one of the NIST data points (332) was Duck down. (333) was Turkey Feather Fiber, (353) was 50% chicken and 50%turkey,
    (354) was #353 compressed, (355) was 100% chicken feathers, fluffed, (356) was chicken feathers compressed 0.6 inches, and (357) was chicken feathers compressed to 0.3 inches.

These were termed mixing apples with oranges and little real relevance to the goose/duck down story and as a result Nisely wisely retracted these data. Read further down the post for this retraction.

Since I am the poster who pointed out this significant data inconsistency and caused the data withdrawl by Nisely, I conclude that I am familiar with this issue of down compression. If you read your cited page for comments by other than Nisley, you will see that.

Today, in another post,(A New Topic) this announcement of the "Extraordinary Claim" will be looked at for "extraordinary data" that supports it.

Please read these postings on the "extraordinary Claims" carefully before you buy into the "Extraordinary Calims".

Some of the best tools of the scientific world are the ability to debate and argue and cause the generation of ever improved data and data that fills in the missing gaps, and the elimination of data that technically doesn't belong in the discussion.

My upcoming new post will be intended to eliminate data that doesn't belong, and to keep emphasizing the lack of "extraordinary data" to prove the "extraordinary claims".

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ways to deal with a critical person
    Some people are critical on a near continuous basis; by reading their forum post history, relative to down density, it will show you if this is the case. Dealing with a continuously critical person can be incredibly difficult. The question posed: how is it best to deal with a continuously critical person?

Ignore them
    First the responder should attempt respectful dialog. After subsequently determining the futility of constructive interaction, I think it is best to simply ignore their continuously critical comments.

Bill Townsend
    BPL Member

@olmanwilly

Locale: Midwest

I am realizing that many of the same folks discussing this at HF, are also folks here.

Any update or conclusion to this mess?

Is overstuff worth it? (Beyond a reasonable amount to eliminate down shift/cold spots)

I know that it is a complex topic, did anyone ever come up with a halfway conclusive summary?

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools