Topic

caching water in high desert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion caching water in high desert

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mike walker

@m_walker

I'll be camping 5-6 days in an area w/ no water in the Anza Borrego Desert. I can walk into the area in 4-5 hours so I was planning on making 3-4 trip into the area caching water in advance. What do you think the best way to cache the water would be? I am concerned the mule deer in the area will bite thin plastic bottles open. If I could find a tree or rock configuration above their reach that would work. Then I need to worry about critters that have strong beaks and fly. Do you think coyotes would dig it up if buried?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

Burying sounds good, it'd stay cooler. How about wrapping the bottles in thin aluminium foil? Most animals would dislike the metallic taste if they tried to chew that. I guess the trick would be finding it again if the wind blew some sand around. GPS?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Bury near a tree, tie tape streamer to tree.

Cheers

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I have cached extensively in Anza-Borrego and have never had a problem or loss. Depending on what area you are going you can be creative in your caches. Underground works best out there but there are plenty of rocks to bury them, trees and bushes to hide behind etc.. Just put out more than you need. What area of the park are you going to?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I've cached water in the Grand Canyon twice. I just set it in the shade next to the trail. I did mark the jugs with my name and the date I would be passing. Neither of the caches were disturbed in any way.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

Bury, and cover with rocks. Deer won't move that.

mike walker

@m_walker

Ken what type of container did you use? Yes I think underground w/ heavy rocks would work. No grizzlies out there to move rocks. If I do a good job doubt coyotes could find or dig up. I will be on BLM land PCT San Filipe mountains. Another area I am interested in is East of Indian Flats campground Clevelend Nat Forest of PCT.
    Wanting to call in and photograph mountian lions or bobcats. Unless you have a clue as to where some big cats are?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I agree with those above saying to mark them. Make sure people that could come across it know what/how important it is.
    I usually attach something with my expected pick-up date and a message saying something to the effect of "This water cache is VITAL to the lives and safety of ______ hikers. PLEASE do not disturb, thank you."
    I guess all you can do is hope that if someone finds it they have a conscience.

I'd still hide it where nobody could find it though…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Mike I used liter water bottles,buried about a foot deep. I reasoned if one leaked I don't lose it all, and they are easy to transport. East of Indian Flats would be a good place to look for mountain lions. I have seen two out that way myself over the years. Always a thrill. Bighorn canyon might be worth a try as well. It has a sheep watering system at the end of the canyon. I have seen tracks there as well. Good place for local information is at the Anza-Borrego State Park visitors center. Since moving to far nor-cal the only thing I miss about San Diego is the desert backyard. Half of all the state park land in Ca is in Anza-Borrego,wow! Have a blast.

mike walker

@m_walker

where is bighorn canyon? Lots of wild country East of San Diego not enough time to explore it all.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Bighorn Canyon is in the park south of hwy 78 around mile marker 81. Best to talk to the people at the visitors center.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools