Topic

Yellowstone in July – HELP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yellowstone in July – HELP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Wade Johnston

@johnstonwh

Locale: Midwest

I am planning a July 6 day hike in yellowtone in 2009. Taking two sons, 10 and 17 along. Both are experienced backpackers. Any suggestions on trail(s) combo to use 5-6 days would be appreciated.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A variation of our Bums and Bison trip would be excellent, if you don't mind a car shuttle.

Start at the Wapiti Lake TH, hike into Pelican Valley, over into the Lamar, over Specimen (would mandate a long day w/r/t campsite regs), and out the Black Canyon of the Yellowstone to Gardiner. Probably around 100 miles all told. The first half, which we did in 2.2 days, was just awesome. Great scenery, one other hiker, tons of wildlife.

Edit:
    Probably too much for a 10 year old. Hmm, any part of the above trip would be excellent. The area around Wapiti and Astringent Creek has tons of cool geothermal features. Maybe the Wapiti-Pelican-Lamar bit, but coming out over The Thunderer?

Have fun, it's an awesome place to go hiking!

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

OK this is just my opinion but I think yellowstone is too big to see on a 6 day hike especially with kids that can't hike a lot of miles. I would suggest several overnight hikes. Anything in the Lamar Valley or in any of the geyser basins will be awesome. The black canyon of the yellowstone is really cool too. You should also consider spending a day driving around the park and being tourists there is so much cool stuff to see right next to the road it is unbelievable. You should also consider seeing the the Grand Tetons while you are so close they are absolutely majestic do yourself a favor and at least do a day hike in the tetons.

Here is What Ryan Joardan Suggested for me to hike last fall:
    Good hikes for 3 days in YNP and surrounding areas –

– Bechler Meadows (SW)
    – Two Ocean Plateau (SE)
    – Fawn Pass (NW)
    – Black Canyon of the Yellowstone (NE)

In GTNP, the 3-day cherry is the 35-mile Teton Crest Loop. A shorter version with less miles and few scenery sacrifices is the Paintbrush Canyon-N Fork Cascade Canyon Loop. Both of these are S of Leigh Canyon and grizzly bear risk is minimal.

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Yes – the hiking in Grand Teton National Park is a different experience than Yellowstone. But, a 6 day trip would be PERFECT here. It is a much smaller range.

This is still bear country, and I would recomend bear spray. Easier camping regulations.

Start at Granite Canyon and hike up to the grassy lake road. You'll need a car shuttle (or your thumbs).

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

You might want to post this in the more appropriate "Hiking Partners / Trip Announcements" section.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

The Black Canyon of the Yellowstone is a great (and easy) three or four day hike. You could combine it with the Hellroaring Loop from the Hellroaring trailhead in YNP, into the Absarokas, and then down the Yellowstone for a six or seven day trip.

The Bechler would be the ideal 5-6 day trip but not until late August – too boggy and buggy.

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

I agree with the series of shorter trips idea advocated above. There are lots of options. There is a trail between the upper Pebble Creek trailhead and the Slough Creek trailhead. That's a great one for wildlife, scenery and fishing. You could catch a ride back to your car. Consider Black Canyon of Yellowstone. There are hikes down into the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. You could do something in the Electric Peak area… Heart Lake… if it is a dry year and you are later in July, consider a one way between Lone Star geyser and Bechler ranger station if you could get a shuttle…that would be great for waterfalls…also some hiking down in Grand Teton park would be a good idea. Sorry I didn't narrow it down much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools