Topic

Croatan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Croatan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana

Companion forum thread to:

Croatan

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Poetic!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

Pretty nice. I think I've hit all the Western forests more than once but I've never been to the Eastern half of NC. Guess I need to plan a trip.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

I live in NC but have never been to Croatan. I'll be looking for a chance to go there now, probably in cooler, bug free weather. And I'll be sharing this article w/ friends too!

Glad to see another hammocker as well! If you are not aware, there is a growing hammocking web site, hammockforums.net, that is made up mostly of backpackers, most of which are interested in lightweight packs.
    A number of them are members of Backpackinglight.com., and several live close enough to Croatan that it may very well be a doable trip for them as well. Thanks. …Tim

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

nice to see the return of the photo essay, great story Bayley.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Well done!

Jenny Simchock
    Spectator

@framelessbob

Locale: R.D.U

Great report-Did the trail about 2 winters ago.Water caching is easy with the many road crossings. Never saw any water I would use except in a pinch. One 2 mile section of sand road walking. Lots of boardwalking, 3 shelters. Great place to go when the weather is nasty in the mountains.
    !

Coin Page
    BPL Member

@page0018

Locale: Southeastern USA

Lovely description and photos. Never knew this trail existed so close. And part of the MST trail!

How was water availability in early summer? Did you carry all your water or treat, re post above?

Kerry Lawrence

@kerryvet

This is a great article, it really gives me a good idea of what the trail is like. The photos are stunning! Hope to see more from Ms. Lawrence soon. North Carolina looks lovely; I'll have to get out there sometime!

Jerry Robbins

@jer3ry

Great descriptions, although the photography was even better. I really got a sense of how it would be to hike that trail.
    Next time I am in N.C…

Kenneth Seals

@kenseals

Locale: Southeast

Great stuff here Bayley. Looks like a peaceful place for some daytrippin'. Better yet, it's not too far away (from Columbia, SC). I think I'll work it into a weekend in the near future. Not to spoil the trip with gear, but I've got to know what Patagonia pack you're using. Thanks for the trip report and perfect photos!

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Bayley,
    Nice article on another area I've never been to before. It'd be great to see some photos of your campsite since we don't get many hammock trip reporst here since Carol has assumed other responsibilities. But since you dodn't mention a much gear maybe ytou didn't camp.
    Tom

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools