Topic

What are these things?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Craig Burton

@missingutah

Locale: Smoky Mountains

Does anyone know what these floor pads are that appear to be an alternative to stakes for practicing a pitch indoors? I'm assuming that they somehow stick to carpet and that you don't need to drill holes in the floor. If that is how they work I can see these being a big help for refining setup techniques before a trip since I have a tendency of setting up camp late yet have no yard to practice in. Any idea where these can be found?

It looks like they are possibly made by Exped, possibly a different Exped than the outdoors accessories manufacturer since the logo appears to be different. Regardless, I checked the Exped website and didn't see anything that resembled these.

Scott White

@sdwhitey

I think all the big name tent manufacturers make them. But, I would guess they are intended for display purposes only. I don't know if they are for sale to the public.

They just velcro to the carpet as a substitute for stakes. My local REI always uses them with their display tents.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I'm sure some kind of velcro thingy could be made pretty easily

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Pretty sure they are just velcro or something similar. Keep in mind however that velcro does not stick to all carpet types. The carpet fiber have to have "loops". I know, because I've tried setting up shelters indoors and velcro did not stick to my carpet. But it does stick to some carpets.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

Velcro also sticks to many of my synthetic shirts…at least long enough to snag them!

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

Well sense I was there when this photo was taken . . .

You guys are right; they are reinforced nylon pads backed with Velcro. Outfitter shops use them to set up tents indoors on carpet.

Be forewarned though, the Velcro patches only work on commercial grade low pile carpet. Even then they don't work that great, only providing enough adhesion to loosely set up the shelter.

Craig Burton

@missingutah

Thanks, all. I was hoping they were something more magical than velcro because I know velcro will not work on my carpet.

Guess I will have to stick to my trial and error approach in the field.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Tack it through the carpet to subfloor with small (perhaps finishing) nails. I doubt this would cause much trouble.

Or use some type of non-barbed hook to attach through to the carpet backing. Might need to spread force to larger area of backing.

Ryan Stoughton
    BPL Member

@txtengu

Locale: Seattle

I've never used it personally, but have heard some friends talk about using Gorilla Tape for this purpose. It's usually found next to Gorilla Glue in the same aisle as super glue. It's pretty strong stuff! I wouldn't think that it would harm the carpet, but just to be sure, I'd test it on a small patch first before slapping a bunch of it down.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The large patches of Velcro (or hook&loop) will hook onto the right sort of loop-pile industrial carpet with no after-effects. But sticky Gorilla tape down onto the carpet will probably rip off a significant amount of pile each time. That adhesive is aggressive!

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Another suggestion is to use 2" thick gaffers tape. Permacel makes the good stuff. It holds well, doesn't rip out carpet when you pull it up, and best of it all, it doesn't leave a nasty residue behind as duct tape does. You'll need to attach a loop or hook to it somehow for securing the tent, but this stuff works great for securing electrical cords/cables to flooring so people don't trip over it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools