Topic

Lightweight Shelter Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Shelter Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hang-em-high does not seem to have a search function, and the Tyvek is listed NOT under Fabric. Look under Paper!

cheers

Adrian B
    BPL Member

@adrianb

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand

Do double wall tents with all mesh inners really differ that much from single wall tents with bathtub floors?

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Andrew Dolman
    Spectator

@andydolman

Please use metric units in addition to imperial.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Do double wall tents with all mesh inners really differ that much from single wall tents with bathtub floors?
    Well, they are probably heavier … :-)

Depends whether the bathtub floor is held up by netting to the roof. If it is (how else do you hold it up?), then both should be insect-proof. In that case, no functional difference.

The netting inner tent is a marketing thing – 'you can leave the fly behind' in the American summer. Don't try this in other countries – the weather may not be quite as stable!

Cheers

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

About the rab summit extreme, there is a thing that i dont understand … I read frecuently that the exchange lite were a heavier cloth that event

But the new summit its bigger (taller) and lighter … ¿there is a new cloth?

How it can be compared to event?

If someone could give me more info about this tent is welcome

Its important because im interested in one high altitude tent for my next mont trip to nepal and the older summit is one of my favourites …

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Take a look at this for more details:
    http://www.anatolyivanov.com/prose/en/AI.7.00143/

I don't know if Will tried to be ironic or that he really thinks exchange lite is something new, but in reality Exchange Lite is just a proprietary name used by RAB/Outdoor Designs. It used to be an air permeable version of gore-tex; today they use it for eVENT.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Looks a lot like a double rainbow. Big Agnes does the short strut pole also.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I know this forum looks down at REI gear in a big way, but I paid $219 for a T3 last weekend. After replacing the stakes, and losing the storage bags, it weighs 4.55#. That isn't bad for a 3 person test, with 2 vestibules. You gotta admit, they're trying; albeit as much as they can while trying to reach a mass market.

gdinero senior

@gmoney

Ok – so if BPL stakes weigh 6 grams each… just what is Terra doing to get down to a 1 gram stake? Or was that just a typo?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

IIRC, BPL sells 1 gram stakes too.

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

Me too, David ….. I'll likely pass on the Carbon Reflex @ $450: My '06 Hubba was purchased new for $150, and my Fibraplex Carbon poles costs $115 … total weight with everything is 2 lbs 10 oz at a costs of $265.

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

As always, very well organized and detailed..

I LOVE this stuff !! And am grateful that this forum exists so that contributors , like Will, can share .

Thanks BPL !

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

How about the Stephenson 2R two-wall four-season tent at 2.75 pounds? No mesh inner walls. My friend has one and loves it. I've been snow camping in that tent.

Perhaps you could borrow one and review it.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Stephenson's tents obviously didn't qualify for this review because they were not at this OR show. However, their tents are certainly worthy of inclusion in an overall comparison of lightweight double walled shelters.

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Will Rietveld
    BPL Member

@williwabbit

Locale: Southwest Colorado

Hi All. I have been away for a week hiking on the CDT. Here are my responses to some of the questions raised about the shelters roundup.

Tyvek: On the Hang 'em High website, click on "catalog", then enter "Tyvek" in the search box and it will come up.

Terra Nova 1 gram stakes: They actually weigh 1.28 gram (.045 ounce) each. They are like tooth picks, and I wonder how well they will secure a tent. It takes 12 of them to stake the Laser Photon. I think some heftier stakes are needed to secure the 4 main guylines on the tent, at least.

ID Bug Dome/SilDome Tent: They use the same pole, and the combination makes into a double wall tent if the SilDome is laid over the BugDome with pole. I don't know if they attach together so they can be set up as a unit.

Stephenson's 2R: I don't believe this is a new tent. Note that our Outdoor Retailer LW shelters roundup only focuses on new tents hitting the market in 08 and 09, and does not cover older models.

Exchange Lite Fabric: I double checked and was told that it is an eVENT product. I believe the GTX product is FLO2.

Best, Will

David Ure

@familyguy

Nm

Robert DeMoro
    BPL Member

@demoro

I have the Stephenson 3R. Tons of room for two and gear. Great so far. It is relatively light for a double wall at a little under four pounds; however, it also seems to be extremely sturdy. At least for me, it is a good compromise bewteen light weight and the insistence that in so far as possible equipment failure is not an option when deep in the backcountry.

Andy Dixon

@sideshowandy

excellent assessment, hope the author doesnt mind me posting a link here:

http://www.anatolyivanov.com/prose/en/AI.7.00143/

note the vestibule!

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I note the weight of the vestibule in addition to the 2kg tent is not quoted. :-)

Good article though, and comments about the need for a tent made me think. I still like the roominess of my Hex 3 which is pretty bombproof in high wind, and big enough to not have to worry about condensation too much.

Half the weight too, including a MYOG Tyvek bathtub groundsheet.

Roger: The hex 3 has loops sewn in to support the bathtub walls.

Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I was going to say the same thing about the MSR tents. They look great, but I'll take my DoubleRainbow over a double wall for any 3+ season hike. I like being able to set the tent up in the rain and not worry about soaking my tent floor. I guess it is kudos to Henry Shires – imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Excellent article – please keep it up.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools