Topic

Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Huge sale on Propper Tactical Clothing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Jason Ferren

@elitek9

Deleted as being just a bit too far away from BPL core values.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

I just gotta ask ….. how could an apparel product infringe on someone's core values? The Propper brand that I'm familiar with makes military & casual/outdoor clothing … am I missing something?

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I think they mean that "tactical" clothing is far from the "lightweight" mantra BPL supports.

Jeff Vince

@ac_doctor

Roger, could you tell me what "Core Values" I should have here???

AC

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Roger, could you tell me what "Core Values" I should have here???

Quite simple. BPL's focus is on lightweight backcountry travel without machinery and with minimal impact on the environment.

Cheers

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I wanted to ask that and didn't have the nerve. But since I am wearing my Propper pleated dress khakis here at work, I figured it was safe to post. Bet the OP uses the word "cargo" instead of that "t" word next time.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

wow

Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

I am a little annoyed this post was removed before any of us could see it. It hadn't broken any rules as far as I can tell. Other than not being uber light atire or showing a profitable interest for BPL what was the reason this post was removed?

"Announcements of online & local sales, coupons, etc. Commercial posts OK, but ONLY if you are announcing a sale or coupon."

Those are the only rules I see listed for this forum and I have seen MANY other posts that arent at the "core" of our values.

I will not be renewing my subscription to this website nor will I be ordering anything else. The content has gone to crap and the rediculous moderation that exists only to serve the best interests of this profit machine have become so much that I know longer wish to support what BPL has become.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I didn't read the original post but can tell you that if you are into 'bushwacking" "Tactical Clothing"? or some of the old army stuff is the way to go.

I think it is time to "vote" Roger off the island.

mark henley

@flash582

Nothing like Canvas Duck to hold up to bushwacking.

I used an old "tactical" (Army Surplus) rucksack through 4 years of college ….. beaten and worn, but it never gave up.

Try that with a regular daypack.

Timothy Foutz
    BPL Member

@glad777

Locale: Virginia

Repost the link. No one takes down the dozens of Steapandcheap links. Please do that. They are pointless. Some of us may want to buy some heavy duty cargo style pants to protect our tender skin when bushwhacking.

Paul Smith

@ingoti

Locale: MN

Dance around the rhetoric all you want, we all know that the difference here is the implied use of the gear. I am glad he deleted it, I don't need to be reminded of the things I backpack away from when I come here.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

If anyone has the link that was posted or the company name send it to me in a PM.

Thanks.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

For those who are interested, this image is taken from their Home page (with acknowledgement of course):

Home Page

However, discussion is welcome.

Cheers

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Hi Roger,
    I would like to look at the web site and make up my own mind,
    Thank you

twig .
    BPL Member

@bretthartwig

Locale: Australia

I'm sure you could Google "Tactical clothing sale" if you are in the market for some cheap army surplus. Moving on……

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I'm with Roger. This site is BackpackingLIGHT. If folks want anything and everything to stick so they can decide for themselves — then there are plenty of general backpacking / outdoor forums that they can go to.

One suggestion for the mods — when deleting a thread, it's probably better just to delete it entirely — and maybe PM a friendly reminder/explanation to the OP. Methinks the way it is now just makes the original poster look bad in a very prolonged way.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Contact your local military recruiter. Not only can they get you access to a supply of tactical clothing, but they pay you to play with all the neat little tactical toys too!

Slo Hiker
    BPL Member

@slohiker

Locale: NC Foothills

My initial gut reaction was (and continues to be …) that this product/product line was somehow offensive to someone and was deleted in the spirit of PC.

If all of the "irrelevant" postings were removed from this site (and most other forums, by the way …) there wouldn't be nearly as much to look at here!

If I can weed through the countless posts from the posers without having bad dreams, perhaps one could just move on to something else if "tactical" doesn't sit well with your personal sense of right and wrong …. or your notions of appropriateness.

Lastly, I have no intention of getting into a semantics contest with anyone, but "tactical" is no more or less ambiguous than "lightweight".

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

WTF Roger, Did you even look at their site? I did and found nothing offensive. Granted they don't sell anything that could be considered ultralight, but neither do a lot of other links that get posted here.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Obviously there are some people here who are interested in possibly acquiring some of Propper's goods for use under certain conditions. The company even sells products such as base layers, insulated pants, windshirts, and a Gore Tex jacket that supposedly weighs under a pound. They even use the word 'ultralite' to describe the jacket. It might not be Montbell or BMW quality stuff but I think it's valid here.

I'm all for maintaining focus but I don't think editing this post was a good decision. War sucks and people who dress up to pretend they're in a war are very suspect in my book but I'd rather not have BPL's content edited in such a judicious manner. Just my freedom-of-speech-whoring two cents.

Russell Swanson

@rswanson

Locale: Midatlantic

Paul Smith posted- 'Dance around the rhetoric all you want, we all know that the difference here is the implied use of the gear. I am glad he deleted it, I don't need to be reminded of the things I backpack away from when I come here.'

This is a good point. Ben Tang made a similar one. However, I would argue that we be able to censor ourselves. Is BPL your typical troll-stalked temper tantrum zone? The level of maturity on this site is rather high IMO. I understand the desire to keep BPL 'pure' or whatever but I think we do a good job of policing ourselves.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

If Propper gets deleted can Cabela's be far behind?

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

There are numerous companies that make hiking specific gear that also make military equipment/gear. Wildthings, Integral Designs, Gregory, Camelbak and others to name a few. Should these companies or gear they make be edited when mentioned on BPL?

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I don't think it was the site that was offensive. I saw the original ad. I interpreted it as spam. The only thing even remotely related to BPL would be clothing… and "tactical" clothing tends to weigh more, not less, than other clothing. Feel free to go browsing the web in search of it if that's what you need, but I prefer to keep pointless posts where they belong: elsewhere.
    If you look at the profile of the original poster, you'll see that single post was the extent of their contribution to this forum. Nothing before and nothing since.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools