Topic

intresting article ultralight hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique intresting article ultralight hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matt DeWitt

@tritan

Locale: Midwest
    Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Un-interesting as far as I'm concerned. They are talking about "car camping" where you only have to carry your gear from the trunk to the grass. It has no relevance to UL hiking.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Matt, did you read more than the first sentence or two?

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Hey, gang- Let's give our friends a bit of benefit of doubt. Most people who post here aren't tools; my guess is that Matt saw a reflection of himself in the article, and thought some of us also might appreciate the different point of view. Are we that one-dimensional that ultralight backpacking is our singular viewpoint of the world? I don't think so. I pretty much live for lightweight backpacking and backcountry exploration. That said, I also enjoy sitting around a campfire with a stack of hotcakes and bacon. Nothing wrong with that! You'll note that the article author wrote from a compare/contrast perspective, not a one-dimensional perspective–ultralight: car camping–and why each have their place. I think you could also argue that we get so caught up in all things ultralight, that it can be instructive to be reminded that ours isn't the only way to approach the outdoors… The article's just a fun glimpse into our (hopefully) multi-faceted lives.

Dave T

@davet

Bob Ellenberg

@bobthebuilder

I guess I missed the point of referencing the ariticle to this site as well but decided to jump in because we both backpack and car camp. However, after light backpacking we take some of the principles (and gear) over to our car camping excursions. "Real" car camping gear takes too much space, too much lugging and too much time to set up. We use basic backpacking gear with a light but slightly larger tent, more comfortable air mattress, a little more cooking gear and some fresh food and all the good wine we want!

Art Sandt

@artsandt

It's kind of an annoying article. Basically just trying to sell us a bunch of expensive gear because by being unenlightened about ultralight backpacking, some people are really enlightened about "life" or some such nonsense. Mostly the target audience seems to be people who have never backpacked a day in their lives.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Brad, I realise the article was a fun poke at UL attitudes, it's just that Matt's title said "interesting article on ultralight hiking" when in fact no hiking was mentioned in the article, merely camping. Sure thing when I go car camping I take along lots of comfy luxuries. It's a completely different activity to hiking in my mind.

Andy Bailey
    BPL Member

@andybailey

Locale: The Great Plains

Boy, I wish I was rich enough to be a gear-savvy car camper!

Brad Groves
    BPL Member

@4quietwoods

Locale: Michigan

Yah, yah– don't get me wrong, there's a fair bit of B…Baloney, too…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools