Topic

Trip Report: Cross Park Hike of RMNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Trip Report: Cross Park Hike of RMNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

My 10 year old son and I just returned from a cross park hike of Rocky Mountain National Park. I posted my trip report on my blog HERE. Enjoy (we sure did)!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@sponge

Locale: PNW

Brian-

Awesome trip! Your son is a trooper, that's for sure…I think it's a great and noble deed to pass on the love for the wilderness to our kids. Thanks for starting a new generation of backpacker!

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Thank you so much for sharing, your son now has the best answer for "what did you do on summer vacation". The bear spray incident (while at the moment terrible) has the potential of being a highly entertaining story for years to come.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Looking back the bear spray incident will be a story with longevity and levity. However, at the time I was thinking what in the heck would we have done if it had got one of us? We had already hiked for over 13 hours that day and were still 7 miles from town. It could have been a disaster!

Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

Are the bear cannisters required now?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Chris, Cannisters are currently required in the area we were (wild basin) due to recent bear trouble over the past two years. The rangers indicated that next year they'll be required park wide (but we've heard that before from RMNP). Not sure if they'll actually enforce it next year or not.

Tom Clark
    BPL Member

@tomclark

Locale: East Coast

That was some beautiful country you folks hiked through. While it was a long hard trip for you three, it sounded like you had some fun too.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Great report!! All the detail is much appreciated, right down to your brief comments describing arrangements you made (including the name of the taxi outfit) for getting to the trailhead. I'm saving that taxi outfit's name to as a resource for future trips I might make the same area.

Indeed, it would be helpful to have a forum topic devoted to identifying local transportation resources at various backpacking destinations in the USA as well as elsewhere. Trying to figure how to get from an airport or train station to a trailhead without renting a car and leaving it somewhere for a week or more is no small feat. Local transportation issues are even more difficult when the point of entry is to be different than the exit point, and even worse by far for a solo hiker.

Anyway, with your narrative woven into to the spectacular photos, the whole report was terrific. And congrats to your fine son who shows a lot of grit and smarts.

Great job!!

JRS

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools