Topic

online resources for bivy camping?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion online resources for bivy camping?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Peter Macfarlane

@ptc

Locale: The Scottish Highlands

Ach, the points asked on the last page have been well answered.

It is possible to stay dry getting in and out of the Three Wire, and for a bivy it is pretty comfortable for extended living. I've lain in it and watched the weather go by quite happily. Sitting up with the wire installed isn't an option, but take the wire out you've got a regular bivy bag.
    I use the Three Wire over the lasercomp if I'm worried about the availability of a good pitch, such as on ridges etc Its low profile is spot on for avoiding the worst of the wind as well.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Well, I took the plunge and bought the Montbell Breeze bivy in long & wide, and I have to say I am very pleased with this product. It feels more durable than I had expected; the nylon fabric feels more durable than the 2-layer fabric on the Nemo GoGo bivy. And though the exposed membrane will not last as long as the ID Overbag, I feel that the Monbell offers all of the advantages of the Overbag, but 10oz lighter. There isn't quite s much space in the head area as the Overbag, but enough to store a few evening items. You'll also want to keep any 2.5" inflatables outside the bag.

baz john

@baz

'the book of the bivvy' a few years back got me really excited about getting away from the tent…

i like the event fabric on my unishelter. it's made the whole gig more functional, I think.
    I intend to use it more in the future without the pole.
    set up without the pole is possible with a protected hiking pole tip lifting it from inside. It creates a more triangular head area. The change in shape at the front doesn't appear to compromise much. To cover the tip of my hiking pole i'm using a duct taped polystyrene cap complete with bungee ears that i've had for years to protect gear bags while traveling. haven't used it like this in foul weather yet but i don't see any problems with it.
    bungee side pullouts to a tarp or just pegs if without the tarp. you can also just use a raised pack on the inside, although this would decrease needed space in winter. if you want to get real technical a stick could be used. humidity issues arising from wet and/or soggy pieces of nature could be mitigated with the use of a recycled shopping bag.

interesting to hear David that ID have added a footvent. i've been thinking about adding one for awhile. I'd love to see how ID have done it. it might give me more confidence in my down gear for a longer trip in bad weather if I had one.
    the weight savings for me can help justify adding a simblissity inner peace or MYOG version using the guts of my Tarptent DR V1. This would increase versatility and comfort for me.
    I'd feel better with covers over the zips to be honest. not leaked yet but I've seen those zippers wear out on jackets.
    the unishelter isn't the lightest but I don't want to replace it soon and I've seen 2 layer event fail on a pair of pants so wouldn't even consider that material for a really long lasting and versatile bag.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Does anyone know where I can buy 'The Book of the Bivvy' in US, especially new york? It isnt available even on Amazon. I read the first 3 chapters on google book search preview. I want a copy!

Are there any other books on bivy camping?? hard to believe there is just one book out there..

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

Does anyone know where I can buy 'The Book of the Bivvy
    -Huzefa

I'm still hoping for Interlibrary Loan to get it to me.

You can buy it from the publisher:

http://www.cicerone.co.uk/product/detail.cfm/book/561/title/the-book-of-the-bivvy

book is £10

postage charges are:

UK (first class postage)
    FREE

Europe
    1-2 books £2 per book
    3-9 books £1 per book
    10 or more books No charge

Rest of World
    1-2 books £3 per book
    3-9 books £1.50 per book
    10 or more books No charge

How long will your order take to arrive?
    >UK within 48 hours.
    >Europe 3-5 working days from the time of despatch.
    >USA & Canada 7-10 days
    >rest of the world possibly longer

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Thanks. I already knew that I could order from the publishers in UK. Books are generally cheaper in US and wanted to avoid shipping cost as well. nm

Some other interesting threads I digged up:
    Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Thoughts on no-cook food
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7987/index.html

Philosophy & Technique » Hiking without kitchen
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/505/index.html

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

"in UK. Books are generally cheaper in US"-Huzefa

I agree, $24 shipped seems a little steep.

John Carter

@jcarter1

David,

Can you clarify: Baz mentions the addition of a foot vent on the Unishelter. Is this true, or were you referring to the 'rear vent' as the vent behind one's head?

Thanks!

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

John Carter

@jcarter1

David,

That is very interesting about the GoGo side entrance. I would be skeptical of the 'double wall' claim, though, as it likely only refers to a double wall awning. The current GoGo might be classified as having a double-wall 'awning' as well. Still, if they pulled off a real double wall, that would be very interesting. The side entrance might go a long way towards reducing the claustrophobic feeling if you are able to see out of the bivy.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

some more article/thread on no stove approach:

Camp Cuisine: No Cooking Required
    http://staging.backpacker.com/september_2001_skills_food_no_cooking_camp_cuisine/skills/2404?page=1

No-cook backpacking meals
    http://www.trailforums.com/detail.cfm?PostNum=4770

BPL » Food, Hydration, and Nutrition » Cold Meals
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/7675/index.html

I hope someone will find these links useful but I am posting here for my own easy reference.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Thanks for the list. I added those links to my food page.

I know people who try to go "no cook" for two different reasons. One is an attempt to eliminate prep time and clean up. The other is to save weight of stove and fuel. It might be useful to have to, related, but separate lists.

A few things I didn't see on the lists you posted:

Joe's Moosegoo on pita, or tortillas
    Ensure Powdered Drink/Shake Mix
    MREs (though they are heavy)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

> Much talk about how to get into a bivy when it is raining. I use a small umbrella.

I have wondered about integrating the use of an umbrella with a minimalist tarp and/or bivy. I have a 7oz golite umbrella, which is great for summer rain when valley walking in no wind or light breeze humid conditions. It does seem a bit of a luxury weight wise though. Perhaps with a bit of no-seeum pegged over it and across the midriff of my bivy, it could add a bit of rain protection without getting blown away in the night.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I am considering purchasing ID's South Col Bivy (eVent version), and I am curious if there are any reasons why I shouldn't. I am also considering ID's eVent Unishelter and eVent Overbag as alternatives. But given that rain is more of the norm rather than the exception where I hike, something stormproof seams the better choice. This is to be a Autumn-Winter-Spring bivy.

Also, how well do these bivys pack down? Does anyone have any object comparison (i.e., packed-down bivy and a Nalgene bottle) photographs they would be willing to share? Thanks…

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

The ID eVent Overbag might suit my needs, but my main concerns (i.e., the things I would like to keep out) are rain and bugs.

The bug part could probably be handled via an add-on (headnet, etc.). As for the rain, hmm… I'm not planning on using a tarp, so that is a consideration…

Have you ever been caught in a serious deluge in either bivy? How did they fare?

On a separate note, the Ti Goat Ptarmigan bivy with the full-net hood would perfectly suit my needs–if only it were made of 100% eVent!

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/Bivy.html

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi Mark,

I appreciate the effort you have put into your website. Thanks for the great resource.

A few day back I came upon 'Mike Clelland! GOO Energy Gel'. I think it is better then moosegoo because it uses brown rice syrup [complex carbs] unlike honey [simple carbs] in moosegoo. Hope to make some soon.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=5058&cat=Foods%20-%20Energy%20Bars%2C%20Gels%2C%20and%20Drinks&cid=64

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

David I would be interested to know more about your 5 oz tarp that you use? That is size and fabric as I am also exploring the use of a small tarp in situations where lots of rain may be the norm, not the exception.

BTW I am a Uni shelter and micro bivy user and have just returned from a trip with the Unishelter where rain for several hours at night and then continuous drips from the trees tested the unishelter. Everything inside was still dry in the morning.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

I've designed something that's a bit more generous in size and comes in at 120g / 4.5oz in spinnaker for use with a tarp

Bivy Tarp

It was designed for wet-weather use above the treeline and gives a little rain and wind-free pocket where you can sit up or cook or whatever

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

Thanks Mike. had seen your plans before but had forgotten them, now all I need is some spinnaker in a subdued colour.

Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

I received a PM tip from someone that suggested Wild Things' bivy. http://www.wildthingsgear.com/prod_mtgear.php

I also received a PM tip suggesting MLD's Soul Bivy. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=38&osCsid=424027134edbd48a33c3295111049b31

Does anyone have either of these? Unfortunately, from the single photo on Wild Things' web site it is difficult to discern the features of the featured bivy. Thanks…

Oooh! Autumn is coming! IMO, the best time for trekking!

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools