Topic

Titanium Budha…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Budha…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Steven, you still around?

I have got an idea to make this stove even lighter. What you can do is use your tent stakes as the pot stand by pushing the stakes into the ground and use two pieces of 0.001" BPL Ti foil (holes on bottom) for inner wall and outer wall. The hook shape end of stakes should keep the inner foil wall stable in wind.

The primary air would enter the inner wall through the lower holes via the lower holes in the outer wall. Here it would burn fuel. The secondary air would go up the annular space between the 2 walls and go just above the fuel where it would reignite the smoke. The space at the top of stove would be exit holes for exhaust gases and flames. This is actually a lighter version of the modifying CC idea I have been playing with.

4 x 24" Ti foil weights just 0.3oz! and should be enough for stove size you desire.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I must know.

Have you ACTUALLY used .001 ti foil for an application like this? I am as excited as you at the possibilities, but concerned about the possible limitations. It would be nice to know (for sure through trial and error) if this thin foil can stand up to this application.

-Tim

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Hi Tim,

No I havent actually used the Ti foil, just excited by the idea like you are. Although playing with aluminum foil I can imagine how thin 0.001" foil is, I like to believe titanium's superior strength would compensate for it.

Possible limitations? like what? The pot will be supported by the stakes. The foil just helps to reroute air and concentrate the heat. I dont think you need something as heavy and durable as 0.005" foil for this purpose.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Wouldn't that require some tougher case to protect it from being crushed by other things in your pack?

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

It certainly would require protection. I have read some people wrap it around their fuel bottle or you can just roll it inside your pot if the pot is long enough.

See David Lewis's web page:
    http://www.davidlewis.ca/stove/

From the pics it seems good enough for our purpose.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

I guess i would like to see it tried in the real world. You have suggested it's use in a 1/2 wood stove designs and i guess that i don't believe it will hold up. I gotta see it to believe it i guess. I haven't held anything that i know was .001 and i think this may be some of the issue i am having. I can't picture it. I am just afraid it will melt. I have melted a lot of stands and screens with alcohol and the flame and soot of a wood fire is pretty brutal. Steel cans crushed to ashes.

I just want to see this stuff used so my fears can be proven wrong. I want to be proven wrong on this one!

-Tim

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Huzefa,
    I'm still around…I've kinda spread myself thin with projects these days. opefully free up some time next week.

0.001" foil? Almost like creating a pot stand with your stakes, and then using 2 windscreens to redirect air…it would definitely be lighter. I haven't held the BPL titanium foil, but I have held many things that are 0.001" and it is super thin. I would have to buy some and try it out. I am not sure how well it holds shape without crinkling and whatnot.
    From a personal perpective, it sounds a little finicky – which isn't really a bad thing – just that I don't like to fiddle too much. Tell you what, I still have to finish version 2 of my stove, and we'll go from there to see if it is worth it to use the BPL foil…how much is that stuff anyway?

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

FYI I used a Caldera Cone as a wood stove and the sides melted!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

cause it's AL not TI.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

'cause it was an Aluminum Cone, not the TiTri Titanium Cone.

The Aluminum Cone is designed for esbit and alcohol.

The Ti(tanium)Tri(fuel) Cone is designed for esbit, alcohol, and wood.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Steve what ever happened with this stove?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Stuart,
    After I did some testing, I realized that the double wall version was not outperforming (by any noticeable amount) my simple hobo stove so I scrapped the idea. I did throw together a single wall version. Shown below. Design is different (you can see that) but the performance is about the same. I have opened the holes around the rim but only have this picture handy. The stove basically seals to the top and the small fire burns inside. I can get 2 cups of water boiling with this. Feeding the fire is not easy as it is so small, but it is not designed for continuous burning. Basically, load the chamber, start the fire, place pot on top, and boil 2 cups of water. I do add some little twigs through the hole as it burns to keep it blazing. Best part is that it weighs 16 grams and fits inside my SUL 550.
    I'd love to make a nicer version that looked really slick, but working with that thin material is tough, and I'm not aware of how to cut the stuff without leaving tons of burrs on the edges.

Enjoy!
    Ti Stove

Daniel Fosse

@magillagorilla

Locale: Southwest Ohio

Nice work on the stove. I have never worked with Ti. When I have made things from aluminium flashing I score the shape I want 4-5 times with a utility knife and I can tear the chunck out. The metal ripps along the score perfectly for me. Don't know if it will work with Ti.

Earlier you said "Herman, I will press the ring with a small die set."

Can said die set make a Ti or Aluminium lid for mugs with a lip. I was trying to think of ways to do this for my SP600 mug but I don't have any real tools.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

> but working with that thin material is tough, and I'm not aware of how to cut the stuff
    > without leaving tons of burrs on the edges.
    I have had success with:
    Very heavy tin snips – see the ones in the Ti snow pegs article.
    Clamp down on steel support and machine (mill or lathe)

I have NOT succeeded in punching 0.5 mm thick 6Al4V sheet cleanly – no chance. Need HSS tooling at least and very small clearances.

Cheers

Cheers

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Steve

> Body is made of 0.005" Ti
    Where did you get the Ti that thin? TitaniumJoe only has down to 0.016"

Cheers
    Roger

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Roger,
    Ti Goat has it.
    I don't know what 'stock' dimensions are.

The windscreen foil is 12" wide, by any length.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools