Topic

Titanium Budha…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Budha…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Finally got around to pulling one off. It ain't too pretty, but dang does it work. This is just the prototype to see if the concept works, and I'm going to work on a newer (and prettier) version when I get some time.

Body is made of 0.005" Ti and pot stand is BPL Ti rods.
    Overall

Inner Chamber
    Inner Chamber

Scale Shot…37 grams
    Scale Shot

Fits nicely into the BPL 550 pot.
    Pot Shot

Pot on stand.
    Pot on Stand

Nice big flame
    Flash Flame

Pot on Stand with Flame (Flash)
    No Flash

Pot on stand with flame (No Flash)
    No Flash

I threw some water in the pot – maybe 400ml or so – I didn;t time it with a stopwatch, but it was in the 5-6 minute range to full rolling boil. It was getting dark, I was happy with the results, so I called it a night.
    Rolling Boil

The pot stand was last minute to test the body of the stove. I wanted to see how it performed and I really just wanted to see if I could boil some water with this thing. I need to develop a new pot stand, and come up with a better way of sealing off all the crevices. Right now, I have just bent all the corners over – and it does work surprisingly well, but I'd like it to look a lot more professional.

Enjoy!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Very cool.

As far as pot stand goes..

Almost all of us carry titanium skewer stakes. There has got to be a way to use those as the pot stand. I use them for my alcohol stove and one of my wood stove prototypes i didn't like. If you added holes for 3-4 of them to thread into with a way for them to bottom out and a small hole for the tip to center in you'd be able to save the few grams of a pot stand and multi use some gear.

my 2 cents

Dustin F

@dirtt

Locale: So. California

way cool. look forward to seeing a finished product.

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

Locale: Northern Virginia

Nice!

Where did you get the 0.005 titanium? That's very thin. Do you have a sense of the durability you might expect? Does it flex when you put a full pot on it?

The book I found on high efficiency wood stove construction suggests using a windscreen/chimney combination that wraps around the pot (see my recent post with pictures of high efficiency wood stove). I don't think it would add much to the weight because it can be constructed to support the pot, eliminating the thick supports you have.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

nice work Steve. looking forward to the prettier version.

Herman, I think 0.005" Ti is the same material used in TiTri. That will give you a reference to its durability. TiGoat sells 0.005" Ti foil.

Oliver Budack
    BPL Member

@snuffy

What Grade is this Titanium? Grade 1 or 2 or Grade 5?

How often do you have used it yet? Titanium has a beta-transus temperature at which it changes its structure and becomes brittle. Can you notice anything like that? Haven't used Titanium yet because of these concerns.
    I hope you can eliminate my concerns ;)

Greetings from Germany
    Oliver

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Huzefa has got it right – I used the Ti Goat 0.005" titanium. If you handle the Ti sheet on it's own, it will feel very flimsy, but once it has the bends added, and bonded with the other parts, it creates an extremely rigid structure. It does not flex at all when loaded with a pot of water. In fact, I won't have any strength issues with this.

5 minutes passes…

I just did a crush test using my hands..I would say that you would need a good 10 lbs or so before anything went wrong. Like I said before, it's the structure that creates it's strength. Of course, that is with the body alone, the pot stand, made of the Ti wire, is very flimsy. I only used that because I wanted to test the body of the structure and didn't have any plans for a pot stand. I wasn't sure it was going to create the flame pattern seen on the bushbuddy – and it does. I plan on making a proper pot stand/wind shield on my next version.

Snuffaluffagus,
    Good point about the Ti becoming brittle. I have boiled a few liters in it and haven't had any issues, however, it hasn't seen anyhthing near severe use so we will have to wait and see. Is a standard wood flame hot enough to chaneg the properties? I'm not sure. What temperature can it handle?

I actaully want to press the bottom and top plates into the shape instead of using the orgami technique in the current design. This will allow the walls to be truly round instead of the octoganal (what the shape of 12 sides?) shape it is now. I just need to finish up a few projects before I get that deep into this one.

At 37 grams, I would be willing to give up a little strength and longevity. My only complaint with the BB is that you can bring esbit tabs for a few days and come out lighter…the Ti version fixes that.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure what grade it is. The thinnest Ti 6AL-4V I have seen is 0.016" thck, and if I used that the weight would be too large and I'm not sure how easy it would be to bend/form.

I do have some 0.016" on order, but those are for my Ti Crampons…coming soon…:)

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

The lowdown on annealing titanium can be found here:
    http://www.key-to-metals.com/Article97.htm
    If you look at the temps involved in the table at the bottom, you can see there's not much to worry about at small woodfire temps. In any case, the effect of heating and cooling titanium is generally to make it more ductile, so it shouldn't become more brittle, as long as you let it cool slowly rather than chucking a pan of water on it. Even if you had to do that in an emergency, it wouldn't affect it much, and a subsequent firing would re-anneal it anyway.

However, direct flame for extended periods can be a problem, although I would say a coat of wood tar on the inner surface should sufficiently protect the titanium:

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1245
    "Most titanium grades are typically stress-relieved at about 1000°F (538°C) for 45 minutes and annealed at 1300°F (704°C) for two hours. A slightly higher stress relief temperature [1100°F (593°C), 2 hrs.] and annealing temperature [1450°F (788°C), 4 hrs.] are appropriate for the Grade 5 alloy. Air cooling is generally acceptable.

Although no special furnace equipment or protective atmosphere is required for titanium, a slightly oxidizing atmosphere is recommended to prevent pickup of hydrogen. Direct flame impingement for extended periods, leading to temperatures in excess of 1200°F (649°C), should be avoided because of the potential for contamination and embrittlement."

You could consider a thin throwaway steel liner made from a food can if it becomes a problem…

If you are going to try to roll-form it, a full annealing prior to working it would help. It's not very ductile stuff though, I think it'll be the very devil to create flanges etc on. Your duodeconal form may be the way to go. Alternatively, you could roll and rivet the tubes and joint them with a U section pressed ring.

How do I get my hands on some of this 0.005" sheet Steven? :-)

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

I read ti crampons …………???

walking crampons i suposse?

could you add a pair to my axe ?? :-P

Steve .. you going to be our little budha ;-)

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

per Huzefa S post (above), 0.005 Ti may be had from TiGoat :-)

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

One last thing. What is the height and diameter of your stove?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"you could roll and rivet the tubes and joint them with a U section pressed ring."

That's the plan. I played around with some of the material and as long as you don't try to draw the material too much, it takes form quite easily. Picture below to get an idea of what I am looking at doing.
    Exploded View

Size is O.D. 3.625" x 3.5" hieght…I think.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Steven, do you think you can use 0.001" BPL Ti foil for the inner wall? That would make your stove much lighter. For outer wall it may prove too flimsy I guess.

Also by using thinner inner wall you will probably be able to heat secondary air hotter and much faster.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Huzefa…you're always looking to go lighter :)…good idea. In reality, the outer diamter is the structure which is taking the load from the pot. The inner diameter "hangs" from the top lip. As long as it would be strong enough to hold a handful of twigs – which it will be – we could go with the 0.001" wall. Now, I haven't held the BPL foil so perhaps it isn't up to the challenge. I'd have to test it out to know for sure.
    Also, with a wall that thin, we might be more prone to burn through or damage from fire – just a thought…I'm pretty new with the whole titanium thing, so we'll all learn as we move along.
    Steve

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

How do you press the ring?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Steve,
    I think the whole design needs scaling up a bit, you'll be lifting the pot off to put more twigs in every 1 1/2 mins at those dims, plus snapping thicker twigs to such a short length becomes a chore.Volume increases exponentially with surface area, so you'll get a better burn with not too much extra weight. I'd go for 5" dia and 5" height.

How about spot welding the ring and walls?

Do Ti Goat sell sheet? I can't find it on their site.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

Rog, I think this is the titanium foil they're talking about.

Adam

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Rog, I am guessing that Steven was trying to make something thats fits inside his pot.

But yes it is a bit too small. BPL Ti foil come prepunched and is 4" in height. If you can use it as it is without modification it will save you some time and effort plus give you some extra height. You can make it wider and store your pot inside the stove.

(edit) p.s. Steven, did you get my PM?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Adam, thanks for the linky. How do you embed those in posts? I've tried a href's but it doesn't work for me.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Rog, my p.s. was meant for Steven. sorry, forgot to mention that.

ed short

@shortdottedline

I made a ti.(ti goat I believe) hobo type stove about 5.5 diam in X 5.5 in hi(open cylinder, used pop rivets) a hdwre cloth bottom 5/8 in off the bottom. use appropriate cut outs for ventilation,and to feed the fire. hdwre cloth, "plank" on top as a pot stand, (I use a cut off foster al. beer can as a pot with a bail, light and cheap!18 oz capacity). 1/4 of an esbit under the hdwre cloth bottom, few drops alcohol, light , works well, draws good, is super light and surprisingly sturdy.
    the gnome of blue island

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Steve Evans " but those are for my Ti Crampons…coming soon…:)"
    I am just back from my Pyrenean trip and have been thinking as I walked on my Kahtoolah crampons how they could be better and lighter.
    I am not well enough equipped to make Ti prototypes but would it be a good idea for you Steve to start another design thread about some lightweight crampons?

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

I just scored a foot square piece of 0.4mm Ti off ebay for £1.20. This will make a stove strong enough to roast an ox on top of. :-)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

"How will you press the ring"
    Herman, I will press the ring with a small die set. Yes, this will require a bit of extra effort in the design and build side…but this is a hobby of mine, so I don't mind.

"the whole design needs scaling up a bit"
    Rog, when I tested it last time, I had to put in a few more twigs to get a boil. One of my biggest complaints about the Bush Buddy is it's giant size. For me, this little guy is staying the same size. Since the pot is so much smaller, it requires less time to boil the water, and the stove seems to be super efficient. My goal was really to create a stove that fits into the 2 cup pots.

Derek/Carlos
    The Ti crampons are in the early stage. Give me a week or two and I'll start a thread.

Rog
    Make sure to post your stove when you are done…nothing wrong with boiling water on a tank! ;)

Keith Selbo
    Spectator

@herman666

1-1/2 min. doesn't seem all that bad. If it takes 4-5 min. to boil water, it means he has to drop wood in all of two or three times. I've never had trouble breaking wood into 2 in. chunks for my stove. I suppose if you went to half in. thickness, it might get hard, but I stick to pencil diameter.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools