Topic

UL pocketknife – what blade do you carry?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL pocketknife – what blade do you carry?

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

funny I just stumbled onto thelittle Ritter today (putting together a compact survival kit)-

re- edit :) I need to look more carefully the 0.3 oz was for the kydex sheath- not the knife- still a light knife

http://www.crkt.com/Ritter-RSK-Mk5

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

I use one of the Rignger knives from CRKT:

http://www.elinemerchandising.com/CR2250.html

It has a real blade, is easy to clean and is very light. I like the bird and trout knife described above though.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ I liked that one as well, enough so I ordered one- thinking about bolstering the handle a little w/ some spectra cord and secreting a small fire steel into the weave

on a somewhat related note- I found swiss army knife scissors as a stand alone item- no need to tear apart the knife for just the scissors- they are a replacement part for the swiss army "card"

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

It's tricky. I've managed to get a knife through security a few times on our handbaggage only backpacking trips, but when they find it you get a hard time and lose an old friend. Best trick is the butter knife I've made out of titanium which lives attached to the handle of the frypan on top of the mess kit.

I have one of the little Gerber 2 1/2" blades, which is pretty good. My favourite locking folder is an 'Imperial Ireland' which has a stout drop point blade and the best 3" saw ever.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I just got one, pretty nice little knife

knife weighs in at 0.8 oz, the sheath at 0.1- I added a 3/16" fire steel (0.2) and ~ 12' of spectra line (0.2) bringing it to a whopping 1.3 oz :)

I'll make a spectra necklace and add my photon as well

Photobucket

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Hey George,

I dig this little Stanley Utility knife but can you think of a way to access the spare blade in the handle (if I broke on the trail) without a flat head screw driver?

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a replacement blade in such a lightweight utility knife if I can't think of a way to get to it. :( :p Thx.

Allison Sayre

@teamalli

Locale: PNW

I use the Victorinox Classic knife… great for all applications and the knife is plenty sharp. For all those naysayers, I was cutting something unsafely like an idiot and the Classic cut my finger so badly I had to get it glued back together with wound glue. Good knife.

John Drollette

@tradja

Locale: Central Oregon

This summer I'm actually doing a knife field test on the PCT — I've already got 10 sponsors. Most of the knives are about 3-4 oz, but one long shot sponsor provided one that's 19oz! If all the sponsors come through, I'll carry two at a time, rotating out each month.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718805

Gary M
    Spectator

@gorthain

Grabbed this for a dollar in Murfreesboro, AR at the Diamond mine gift shop haven’t weighed it but I’m sure its less than .5 oz. cuts paracord and steak easily,locks open, the point makes it easy to open mountain house meals.

Brian Hall
    BPL Member

@brian2o0o

Spyderco Dragonfly or Esee Candiru worn as a neck knife.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Tiny Flyweight knife, https://www.etsy.com/listing/221564553/3-ultralight-titanium-trout-knife?ref=shop_home_active_1

0.23oz!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

This knife is a little heavy, but it’s also a pole for my tent.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I carry the same as Steve. The Flyweight trout knife.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I wear an Esee Izula as a neck knife. Then I just lark’s head it over my hammock ridgeline at night so it’s accessible in my hammock if the need were to arise.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Like Hoosier, I love my Izula.i always have it on me. I don’t wear it as a neck knife though…I hang it off my right, rear belt loop with a carabiner. Very quickly deployed :)

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

You should wrap that handle, makes a big difference in comfort. :) The izula really is incredible for its size. The ability to baton wood with such a small knife is ridiculous.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Spyderco Dragonfly, compact but easy to grip, sturdy, and light of course.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have a Gerber US1 lockblade knife

1.2.6″ blade

2. 3.5″ closed

3. 6.1″ overall opened length

4. 1 (one) oz.

5. rubberized grip panels

6. 420HC steel blade

7. MSRP $21.

Best little backpacking knife I’ve ever used. I made a Triptease reflective tent line 6″ lanyard so it would be less likely to jump out of my pocket unnoticed. (You know it’s happened to you.;o)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Leatherman Micra is pretty good

1.8 ounces, the blade isn’t big but it’s sharp, good assortment of other tools

Garrett
    Spectator

@gtturner1988-2-2

Spyderco Ladybug H1

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I carry at least a SAK Classic with a whistle and Photon Freedom Micro Light on a cord secured to my belt loop or pack shoulder pocket.

When taking anything more than the SAK I prefer a very light fixed-blade to a folder. Check out the Bark River Bravo Necker – similar size and weight to the Izula. The Necker has a convex-grind 2.5 in. long and .13 in. thick blade, 1.5 oz. w/o sheath. It’s available in 12c27 (same as stainless Moras) and in more expensive steels. The convex blade is sharp and easy to maintain with sandpaper. Handel is much more comfortable with wrap or scales. I have the Necker II – same except blade is 3.5 in. and 1.77 oz. Carry on shoulder strap or in camp on my belt. BPL’ers Javan Dempsey and Rick H. also carry this one.

The ESEE Izula has a flat-grind 2.63″ long and .156″ thick blade, 2 oz w/o sheath. 1095 carbon and also available in 440C stainless. Both the Izula and Necker are very capable for so little weight.

Highly recommend bright color handle, scales or cord wrap to avoid loss.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

I think there’s a Mora with a partial tang and wooden handle around 2 oz., though for about 1 more ounce you’ll get something more solid like the Companion with a more ergonomic handle and with a bit of blade guard to prevent slipping.

If you get a Mora, you can make a light kydex sheath or find someone to make one for you to replace the clunky plastic sheath.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Great…  now I’m getting ads for knifes and pocket tools : )

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well, fixed blade knives are cool but they require a sheath. A sheath = more weight.

Yes, when I’m hunting I do carry a larger lock blade knife and tiny sharpening tool but that is a special situation. The knife, a Gerber Parabellum, has a Cordura sheath but I never take it as it’s extra weight.

However let’s say i was at a survival school that required a few days and nights of using survival skills W/ no food allowed to be taken along. In that case I would want my Gerber Parabellum (sadly long out of production) B/C it’s blade is heavy enough to withstand batoning with a hefty stick for wood splitting purposes.

Viewing 24 posts - 76 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools