Topic

Trowel – which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trowel – which one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

How many of you carry a trowel? If so, which one?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used to carry a really nice folding, stainless steal one that I bought at REI, but to save weight, I have been carrying a $2 Orange Plastic trowel to cut weight.

I read on the forums recently that some people are using an aluminum snow stake for their trowel and it has a duel usage as an extra stake.

I am going to try that out on my next trip.

Hope that this helps.

-Tony

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I used to use the cheap, ubiquitous and effective orange plastic trowel but found it too bulky. I now use the MontBell trowel and highly recommend it for its strength, light weight, and compactness. Great sex appeal too (for a trowel).

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I use one I made out of titanium that is modeled after the Montbell trowel. It weighs 10g. Trowels etc.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

in the event that a stick or rock wont work, I have used a V-shaped Ti tent peg with 20' of Zpacks cord wrapped around for a handle. The bonus is, you have emergency cordage on a very rigid trowel.
    cost $5
    weight .45

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Ben,
    I also have the MontBell trowel. It's tough, light and effective. I've not been able to confirm the sex appeal though. Where did you get this from? Bears? Racoons? Rough and rugged trail babes?

Nia Schmald
    BPL Member

@nschmald

I'm with Mike and use a titanium nail stake. I've tried the orange plastic things and the montbell trowel. In the hard rocky sierras I find the nail stake does a better job of breaking up the ground.

Weight: 0.2 oz

JR Redding

@grinchmt

Is there cottage maker of titanium trowels similar to the Mont-Bell?

–Joe
    http://www.bozemanstoveworks.com

Jason Griffin

@jgriffinrn

I like the montbell………. 1.4oz for stainless steel construction is very light.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Hi Eric

How'd you make it? Can I buy one from you? :)

Timothy Cristy

@tcristy

Locale: Ohio

Most of the places I hike the soil is a solid mass of small roots. I tried the orange trowel and a few others and none worked all that great. Its not that light at 8 oz, but I am now using a Japanese digging knife and it works great. The one I have is a stainless one from Garret Wade, but here is the generic description:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hori_hori

In addition to being my trowel, it can be used as a light duty saw and a large fixed blade knife.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I have had the Montbell Trowell now for a few seasons. It works great!!!!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use an aluminum SMC snow stake and it works great.

Eric

Eric Noble
    BPL Member

@ericnoble

Locale: Colorado Rockies

I posted instructions on making my trowel with the experiences of others in the MYOG section. I don't have one to sell but I'm happy to answer any questions if you wish to make your own.

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

I made this one out of 1/16" x 1" angle aluminum. I weighs in at 1 oz. and is pretty solid. The material costs less than $5 at Home Depot. As you can see the quality and craftsmanship far surpasses that of your typical prison shank. All I really had to work with was a Dremil Tool. I still need to drill a hole in the top so I can use it as a back-up stake too.
    Trowel

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Hey Mike!

Now that's an idea! A whole new cottage industry! Prison inmates selling UL Potty Trowel/Prison Shanks to the backpacking community. We can be a part of their "rehabilitation."

They could offer discounts on slightly used ones.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas
    t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Bill,
    You could notch in some short fork tines and your ti potty trowel could double as a spork.

Hey, its Friday.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Remember, you should dig only about 6" deep, so the organic biota in the topsoil can break down the "human waste". (The computerized "bad word nanny" woulden't let me write f*c*s!)

As I said above, an SMC aluminum snow stake is the lightest, yet still-efective trowel I could find. It can also serve as a main front guyline stake for my Contrail tent in bad weather or loose soil.

Eric

Michael Gardner

@ekim765

Locale: Southeast

Tried the lightening holes in the handle of the trowel I made before this… it didn't last long. Weakened the handle and it snapped right off.

Yeah Michael!

They could also turn a toothbrush into a knife/tent stake. Now that's multi-use right there!

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Thom,
    That trowel/spork combo you mention isn't far from another BPL'er comment. I wish I could recall who, but someone was talking about using the cookpot for a urine containment device instead of grabbing boots and a flashlight to take care of business in the middle of the night.
    I'd say to search the forums, but that alone is worth laughing at.
    Chris

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

Curious what you use when the ground is snow-covered and/or frozen solid?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Curious what you use when the ground is snow-covered and/or frozen solid?

One Of Steve's carbon fibre /titanium ice axes!

cheers

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

I don't use or take a trowel.

I feel like I can dig a hole with a stick. So, I win the lightest rowel contest – it's zero!

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> I feel like I can dig a hole with a stick.

I wouldn't think that would work too well in frozen soil even with a large, pointy stick, but I suppose you've managed to make it work.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools