Topic

Bizarre but my interest is piqued.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Bizarre but my interest is piqued.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thank you Tom for clarifying the situation. My mirror this morning looked a bit peculiar but now that I know that it was you I don't feel so bad. I hope you get better soon.

Denis, we appreciate your efforts but blue-vein flavored fruit leather has a limited appeal. Nevertheless niche market products attract higher margins…
    Franco

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Sorry, but I have to clear something up…

Isoroku Yamamoto knew that Japan would lose a war with the United States. He said so on several occasions before the war, and lost his cabinet position because of it. He studied at Harvard, and was a military attache to Washington D.C., and was very familiar with our industrial potential.

Yamamoto is often described as a "dove." He opposed the 1931 invasion of Manchuria, the war with China in 1937, and the Tripartite Pact with Germany and Italy. There was once even a plot on the part of Japanese militants to assassinate him.

He opposed war with the United States but once his country was committed (by Tojo and his flunkies) he felt that he had to fight to the best of his ability. And he fought very well.

That's why WE assassinated him.

He WAS the architect of the Pearl Harbor attack. (And we can debate the morality of that somewhere else…) But, the impression of him as a warmonger was wholly a product of allied propaganda. Tojo was the warmonger.

But, yes, Tojo did underestimate the American "public." One of his arguments for war was that Americans lacked any warrior spirit, and would decline to make war on Japan beyond a token effort. (Which is ridiculous, considering the warlike history of the United States to that point.)

JAMES CALL
    BPL Member

@conductor

Locale: Sierra Nevada

Franco,
    While out for a walk today it suddenly hit me. One of the main tenets of our techniques is multifunctionality. If one were to carry compressed O2 and compressed H2 in light weight fiberglass bottles, then given an ignition source, a backpacker would have both fuel and water. Now just to contain that pesky explosion.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Thank you James for turning your mind to that. Here some talk about saving 1 oz and I had to carry 1 gallon of water at times.
    I have to congratulate you too on your personal multitasking, walking and thinking at the same time. Must try that one of these days.
    If I get lost doing it I will blame you.
    Franco

Anonymous
    Inactive

Franco,
    Hope I didn't ruin your day. All I can say is that I'm working on it 24/7; Obviously with marginal results, so far, but hope springs eternal….

Anonymous
    Inactive

James,
    I seem to recall someone getting the Darwin Award for their cutting edge work on that one in recent years.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Sorry, but I have to clear something up…"
    Wasn't that already pointed out in a previous post?

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Franco,
    I live in the San Francisco Area, and they'll buy anything that has a "green" label. And we're working with the OPsak folks to develop a skin that may be peeled off before chowing down. The used cover may then be used as a rain hat, to hit the multi-use crowd.

We're also experimenting with a Vegemite flavor to appeal to the Aussies and Pad Thai for the far east market. I particularly like the Curry flavor when peckish on the trail.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

"Wasn't that already pointed out in a previous post?"

Sort of…

I think that I read your post too quickly. I thought that you were implying tht Yamamoto thought he could win with a "sucker punch". My understanding was that he did not. That is, he didn't think it could win, but it was the only possible course of action with ANY chance of success, once Japan was commited.

I dimly recall a quote of his to the effect that he claimed that he would control the Pacific for 6 months after Pearl Harbor, but that after that the tide would turn against Japan, and if peace was not made quickly Japan would be crushed.

Hmm.

So, maybe we did say the same thing, but with different emphasis. I was mainly trying to point out that Yamamoto wasn't the idiot who started a war with the United States. (That was Tojo.) After my too-quick read of your post, I had concluded that you thought Yamamoto believed he could win.

My bad.

Well, enough persnickety history lessons. I'm off.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dean,
    We are pretty much on the same page, methinks. From everything I have read, he was against starting a war with America for reasons you have stated but, being a professional soldier he was duty bound to come up with a strategy that offered the best possible chance of success, however remote. I could see him hoping that, once the fighting started, the "fog of war", might provide an exploitable opportunity against a vastly superior opponent.
    What has always puzzled me was why they didn't send a second wave to invade the Hawaiian Islands, thereby effectively pushing us back to the mainland and buying time/battlespace to consolidate control of the South Pacific and possibly go after Australia. Perhaps then a negotiated end to hostilities that largely achieved Japan's objectives would
    have been possible?
    Well, enough hindsight/armchair quarterbacking that is probably wildly off the mark anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools